Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-11-28 15:22:05

arkham
Website

Re: Plugin Request: improving zem_contact for money

I’ve said it before but this could/should really also be adapted into a proper “email this article” plugin.

Not one that just pops up the user’s email client but one that actually sends the email.

I may be able to spend some time on it in a few weeks but too busy right now.

#14 2005-11-28 17:57:44

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Has anybody bothered to ask Zem why he hasn’t updated his plug-in? I don’t know any more than you lot but Zem might. Just a thought.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#15 2005-11-29 01:40:13

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

oooh, email this article would be just wonderful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#16 2005-11-29 03:52:02

aslsw66
Website

In trying to allow for a selectable mailto addresses, I have run into a problem.

If the select box says <code><select name=“mailto”><option value=“0”>Frank</option>,</select></code>, then textpattern and/or zem_contact returns nothing.

If instead I use <code><select name=“mailto”><option value=“00”>Frank</option>,</select></code>, then the generated email includes “mailto: 00” – which is what I want. In fact, any additional characters will do the trick – it’s just a single digit by itself that fails.

creativesplash, I have emailed you separately with a fuller description.

If anyone else has any ideas, I’d be glad to hear them – I’m a bit stuck at the moment (although I could simply add a character and then strip it for processing the mailto address).

Last edited by aslsw66 (2005-11-29 03:52:57)

#17 2005-11-29 08:51:20

alexandra

@thebombsite
i did email zem this thread already but he did not reply… we should forget about zem, he is simply not interested and/or has no time.

#18 2005-11-29 09:24:30

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Ok. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#19 2005-11-29 18:56:20

creativesplash
Website

Anura,
I got your mail. I have no clue where things are going wrong! Try posting the code over here so that the coders can view it. Thanx for your effort and sorry about the late reply.

Vasanth

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#20 2005-11-29 20:49:33

Jeremie
Website

thebombsite wrote:
Has anybody bothered to ask Zem why he hasn’t updated his plug-in? I don’t know any more than you lot but Zem might. Just a thought.

I did like a week ago, and asked him if I would be to release a new version of his plugin based on forum comments if he wanted me to keep the author/name or wanted me to release it under my name.

He seems still interested on supporting his plugin, so I guess we are going to see a new corrected version. I don’t know any specifics behind those.

I guess if you want to donate, you can on his website :)

Last edited by Jeremie (2005-11-29 20:49:56)

#21 2005-11-30 13:13:15

aslsw66
Website

In case anyone is interested, I have successfully managed to modify this plugin so that the user can select a name from a drop-down list to send the email to, with the emailto address modified by the plugin depending on the selection. The modification checks for either an email address in the ‘mailto’ attribute of <txp:zem_contact> or my new tag.

Now I need to tidy it up a bit, combine it with creativesplash’s modifications above and then let people have a play and break it!

#22 2005-11-30 13:16:37

alexandra

aslsw… that is gorgious! Thanks a lot. Once you are done i happililly will help testing it :)

#23 2005-11-30 13:19:55

squaredeye
Website

aslsw66,

Well done. Thanks for the hard work. I would be happy to test as well. let us know when you have a “cleaner” product : ie the changes adaptations you suggested above, and lets give it a go.

Its interesting how things get done around here when many people need them. The plugin requests that only a few or one need doing, are rare to get accomplished (unless that person is a coder). I guess that’s open source for ya. Hmm.

Looking forward to testing this one out.

Matthew

#24 2005-11-30 22:14:16

Jeremie
Website

aslsw66 wrote:
In case anyone is interested, I have successfully managed to modify this plugin so that the user can select a name from a drop-down list to send the email to, with the emailto address modified by the plugin depending on the selection. The modification checks for either an email address in the ‘mailto’ attribute of <txp:zem_contact> or my new tag.

With a query from the author table, that could be really interesting. Author’s name displayed, email adress hidden.

Board footer