Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-01-31 21:42:57

Destry
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] ajw_clean_feed

Destry wrote: (Come to think of it, I can’t recall if that happened before with the default or not.)

Nope. Just checked. Title didn’t pass by default method either (unless I was doing something wrong). So, I guess if you can get the title of each feed link to pass to the Live Bookmarks properties (or whatever tool people use), you will be King. (still are, but you know what I mean) ;)

EDIT: Actually, I might be barking up the wrong tree. It’s the “Name” property in Live Bookmarks I was hoping to get filled by the title attribute of the feed, but maybe that’s not even possible or connected. Sure wish there was a way to do it though.

Last edited by Destry (2006-01-31 21:53:43)

#26 2006-01-31 21:45:47

Andrew
Plugin Author

> Also, but not as critical, it would be the cherry on top if for a category (“tips”) in a section (“journal”)
> one could get a feed path like http://site.tld/journal/tips/rss

Well, here’s where it gets tricky. In order to do that, the url would probably have to be http://site.tld/journal/category/tips/rss, since there’s no way for me to know if the url you’re giving me is a clean url for an article titled ‘tips’ in section ‘journal’ or the category ‘tips’ within ‘journal’. Objections? (still not sure if it’s entirely feasible, but willing to look into it)

#27 2006-01-31 21:50:12

Andrew
Plugin Author

Destry wrote: (Come to think of it, I can’t recall if that happened before with the default or not.)

I think (in Firefox at least) it just pulls the page title for the page you’re currently viewing when you click the live bookmarks icon.

Last edited by Andrew (2006-01-31 21:50:52)

#28 2006-02-01 06:19:04

Destry
Website

Andrew wrote: Well, here’s where it gets tricky. In order to do that, the url would probably have to be http://site.tld/journal/category/tips/rss, since there’s no way for me to know if the url you’re giving me is a clean url for an article titled ‘tips’ in section ‘journal’ or the category ‘tips’ within ‘journal’. Objections? (still not sure if it’s entirely feasible, but willing to look into it)

No, don’t bother just for me. I don’t use Categories in the URLs, which for me is a good thing as I seem to edit my Categories fairly regularly. I’ll stick to <code>http://site.tld/category/tips/rss</code>, which will be fine. Thanks again for this.

As for the title situation. I’m using Firefox/Sage. The only identifier in the “name” of feed link properties (in Live Bookmarks) that gets passed (no matter which feed link is being saved) is my site name, Wion Design, which is definitely not the name of my various Pages. The only place I have Wion Design written anywhere is in my admin preferences field for “Site name”. The site name is, of course, too generic for every feed title.

We hit a page break in the thread here, so in case you missed my previous post: I tried checking this title situation with default TxP feed link behavior (sans plugin), and it’s the same thing…no title of any kind is passed to the link properties in Firefox from TxP. FWIW

#29 2006-02-01 06:30:34

Andrew
Plugin Author

Well I’m glad to hear the plugin is working well. I did uncover one little bug in ajw_clean_feed_link: when sitewide=“n” under section top-level pages, it still gives the sitewide feed link. I’ll hafta fix that.

Re: feed titles in live bookmarks etc, hm… I wonder what dictates it, if it’s browser-specific or if there’s a way to override.

#30 2006-04-10 06:33:05

Geewiz

Andrew wrote:

I did uncover one little bug in ajw_clean_feed_link: when sitewide=“n” under section top-level pages, it still gives the sitewide feed link. I’ll hafta fix that.

I’m experiencing this bug too. When do you plan to publish a fix?

Best regards,

Jochen

#31 2006-04-10 18:55:16

Andrew
Plugin Author

Wait… is that really a bug? Sorry — it’s been a while since I’ve looked at this thing — but “sitewide” implies a sitewide link, regardless of navigational context. Is this just revealing a need for some other attribute to control link output? I’m a bit confused.

#32 2006-04-19 15:09:32

fritz1903

Like the PlugIn, thanks a lot.

Just have a problem with using ‘Future’-Articles, they’ll not shown by the feed. Is there a simple possibility to include them into the feed? The thing is, that a feed for ‘events’ makes no sense without the upcoming ones. For displaying the future-articles i use <b>rss_suparchive</b>.

#33 2006-04-19 15:20:00

Andrew
Plugin Author

Any objections to that feature as a default?

#34 2006-04-19 16:17:39

Geewiz

Andrew wrote:

Wait… is that really a bug?

From all that I can see, it is! At least I understand the “sitewide” attribute as a switch between a feed of sitewide articles and a feed of articles of only the section currently displayed. Am I wrong?

Best regards,

Jochen

Last edited by Geewiz (2006-04-19 16:18:02)

#35 2006-05-27 12:46:28

mercury

Andrew, plugin generates feed links only like: <code>site.com/rss/</code> regardless of section or category (or sitewide attribute too) we currently surfing in (normally should be <code>site.com/section/rss/</code>)

#36 2006-08-24 06:07:37

jagorny
Website

I echo the same issue – not getting section root feeds… looking into the code though to see what I can muster up :)

It seems to me that the code used to determine what sort of rss feed being shown (clean feed) could also be used to determine a set of variables that could be used to populate the feed building link…

Basically running the reverse – assuming that there is no rss or atom atthe end of the URI, break it into pieces, look for the permalink mode, use that to break up the URI into the right components. I know it isn’t THAT simple but there’s got to be a way to do it.

Last edited by jagorny (2006-08-24 06:15:46)

Board footer