Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-11-17 18:04:19

hakjoon
Website

Re: [wiki] TextBook wiki redesign planning

I don’t think we should put off anything on a possibility of maybe moving to another platform. MediaWiki is a proven platform and it’s not like the syntax is that odd. Plus it’s up and running. No sense in changing unless we get a big win and I’m not sure if textile support is enough for that. Forget I mentioned instinki.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#26 2005-11-18 00:40:41

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Frankly, I hate the WordPress codex: too many choices all at once. I like the general look/concept we have thus far, since it looks organized, but a lot simpler. But please, make sure that within each ‘block’ the links/pages are well thought out, so its easy to figure out what you’re looking for and where you’ll find it. :)

#27 2005-11-18 07:35:54

Destry
Website

Frankly, I hate the WordPress codex: too many choices all at once.

Yeah, I don’t see what all the hype is. Conceptually, it’s not any different than how TxB is now, it’s just presented in a way to make you at first think it is (EDIT: and therein lies the sorcery).

But please, make sure that within each ‘block’ the links/pages are well thought out, so its easy to figure out what you’re looking for and where you’ll find it. :)

Good point, and I’ll probably start a new thread on that specifically, but it would be good to look at all the page titles currently in the ToC and reconsider them for something more clear and if possible shorter, because since we are moving to a three column listing under each main section, that’s going to reduce first-line title width considerably. This will require renaming pages, which automatically activates a redirect for that page, but I think it’s necessary in some instances and now is the time to do it.

#28 2005-11-18 11:38:15

Destry
Website

Will be adding RSS abilities to the list of TextBook enhancements, so long as there is no unforseen hangups. We’ll make them autodetectable too.

Being TxB is not heavily used at any given moment, it should not cause any problems with performance, that I’m aware of.

#29 2005-11-18 19:08:35

Destry
Website

New Wiki navigation is in progress. Things will undoubtedly adjust as we move along, but here’s a few things I would like to bring to attention for immediate feedback. Below is the navigation items as I write this (with the exception of the last block). As you look at this navigation, consider the following:

1. Long labels don’t wrap very prettily, so I’ve abbreviated as meaningfully as I can, other ideas about link labels?
  2. The three sectional (target audience) links in the “navigation” block (which represent the main page sections) go to empty pages at the moment, but these will eventually be kind of like index pages of the sections they represent (kind of like how a chapter page is now).
  3. Where should be put the “To-Do” page in the scheme? Should the To-Do page be scrapped (I don’t think people are really using)? Instead put focus on the Document Planning link that points to this forum (might be sensible considering the need to bridge the two environments better)?
  4. The last block, “hidden Links” I’ve removed from the wiki for the time being. The pages like, Community Portal and Current Events have never been used to their fullest; I don’t think anybody ever looks at them. So we need to figure out what to do with these pages…tuck them away forever more or find a way to give them value? I don’t know, but until we figure that out I’ve removed them from the navigation.

At the moment

• wiki starting blocks
    • User Accounts
    • Collaboration
    • Document Planning <— Change to “Content Planning” ?
    • Language Support
    • help
  • navigation
    • Main Page
    • Beginners Resources
    • Intermediate/Advanced
    • Designers/Developers
    • Tag Index
  • utilities
    • Change Log
    • Recent Changes
  • hidden links
    • portal-url|portal (Community portal)
    • currentevents-url|currentevents (Current events)
    • randompage-url|randompage (Random page) <— I never understood the point of this one.
    • sitesupport-url|sitesupport (Donations) <— Probably intended for monetary contribs, but we could use for request content contribs (?)

Other thoughts about navigation and eventual auxiliary page needs? Let’s get em’ out!

#30 2005-11-21 11:23:49

Destry
Website

We had a number of wiki spamming incidents since the upgrade. I checked the LocalSettings.php file and sure enough it was missing the required safequards for preventing self-registration. Using WikiMedia’s preventing access reference, I believe the hole is plugged.

I’m also blocking IP’s that spammed (or appeared to have spammed, judging by way of incoherent content and entire page changes).

And here is an example of the shit I’m spending my time having to clean up so for anyone who has whimpered about why there is a login process to the wiki, there you go.

EDIT: OK, I think I finished catching what I could, and wasted about 3 hours of my life doing it. There’s a lot of artifacts in the wiki pages (break tag code showing up and the like); browse through this messy article and you’ll see what I mean. It’s going to be up to everyone to clean that stuff up as it’s found. (Hey…yet another way to contribute without actually writing anything.)

#31 2005-11-21 19:18:56

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Seek Mentok and Reducto on their ass. Omg, they have action figures!!

#32 2005-11-21 20:12:23

hakjoon
Website

I had to make some changes to localSettings. Apparently the wiki has been completely open for everyone to edit away. I noticed this when it let me edit and save page even though I wasn’t logged in.

I added the elements spelled out here , and added this to the Sysop Communication discussion page (I figured might as well use it).

Users will now be prompted to login when they click to edit a page.

This also removed the create account from the create an account or log in page. This shouldn’t be a problem since only LGTs are creating accounts anyway.

Please post any issues with this. I kind of jumped on it since an open wiki seemed like asking for trouble.

Oh and I cleaned up Destry’s messed up article example, which I probably shouldn’t have done. Sorry about that. Although it did help me find this issue.

Last edited by hakjoon (2005-11-21 20:14:01)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#33 2005-11-21 22:26:23

Destry
Website

Thanks, hakjoon. You da man!

I completely forgot to add that part….got so caught up with blocking IPs I sidetracked myself. Sad thing is, I think I blocked all those damn IPs for nothing, they were just anonymous edits, not anonymous accounts…fock!

#34 2005-11-25 14:45:05

Destry
Website

Note: planning image in the first post of this thread has been updated with new ideas forming here.

#35 2005-11-25 19:47:13

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ ‘bout!

#36 2005-12-09 18:18:52

Destry
Website

The way MediaWiki handles page styling is a bit hard to strap down, the mockup as presented may be hard to do exactly, we’ll work on things over time, but get the content organization worked out first.

A puzzler I’m facing at the moment is the problem I see with the Tags Index page. Look at that one compared to any other page, say the tag attributes page for example. You’ll see that the left column is shrunk a bit, and the tabs across top are thrown out of whack.

There’s no reason this should be happening that I can tell, the page was automactically created wiki style just like any other page is. This leads to the next thing to check, and that’s the code being added in the page edit view, but I don’t see anything there either. Anyone get a bead on this?

If we don’t get it figured out, I may have to start a new page, delete the old one, and then rename the new to the old title so links like those used by Mr. Hicks here don’t get broken. So, give a shout if you figure it out!

Board footer