Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-07-22 19:42:42

hakjoon
Website

Re: MODx : a great Etomite Fork

Once MODX starts allowing users to create pages outside the manager (which I hear is coming), you will just be able to build whatever interface you want and only have to use the manager to manage snippets and modules if you want.

IMO 0.9.2 is not there yet. The groundwork being made towards 1.0 can make using 0.9.2 a little confusing. I think once everything is centered around TVs this will clear up a bit.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#38 2006-07-22 23:45:08

marios
Archived Plugin Author

@hakjoon, interesting what is a TV ?

@david, what about speed and performance, I’ve been reading your old comparisons, but AFAIK no mention.
(amount of queries, response time, etc)
The only documented speed comparison that I know of is between wordpress and TXP from Sencer .(But was a little while ago on RC i think)
My guess is that txp still would leave WP behind.
How about modx ?
What about security and spam protection ?

UPDATE:

Does it have a caching feature like Sencer did ?

XML-RPC ?

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-07-22 23:52:21)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#39 2006-07-23 19:58:41

hakjoon
Website

TVs (Template Variables) are like super powered custom fields. It lets you add extra elements to the the basic article that can behave in different ways (checkbox, dropdownbox, WYSIWYG editor) So you can customize the article entry to meet your needs. There are other things like tying the values to SQL queries and external files which are also very powerful.

Right now every article has a few pre-defined fields and then you can add to it using TV’s. The understanding I got is that once 1.0 happens everything in the article will be defined by TVs which will make it ultimately flexible. Currently there seems to be a mixture of hard coded elements along with TVs.

The thing that is neat is that you can make these TVs available outside the manager so you basically can also create your own custom interface for accessing certain article types. The Blog setup Tutorial gives a quick example of how that works. It can potentially be very, very cool but more complicated.

It’s still in the complicated side for me.

all of this is just my understanding. I have played a little with MODX and have checked out the forum for about a month. David is definitely more qualified then me on answering any of this stuff

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#40 2006-07-23 21:43:42

davidm

Sorry guys, did not reply earlier, away on vacation, connected through my cell (can’t answer, bit expensive for me right now :P)

I’ll give some answer next week :)

.: Retired :.

#41 2006-07-23 21:49:47

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Super powered custom fields, that sounds interesting. Just reading your Summary wakes my curiosity.
However, as you mention there will be a lot of learning involved, which again costs time.
I wonder how steep the learning curve would be for their new stuff.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#42 2006-07-23 21:52:52

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Hey, welcome back David.
Vacation, well that’s needed.
Good recreation then and have a nice holiday.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#43 2006-07-24 02:52:54

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Good to find this thread here.

I’ve tried MODx before (perhaps a few months ago, so there might have been major changes since then) and the first thought that hit me when I logged into the admin area was: TooMuchMagic

But we’ve heard enough about how the current interface is all messed up and how the MODx team are probably pulling all-nighters to get their new and improved interface up and running smoothly to be released. I haven’t really gotten down and dirty with MODx but I can certainly feel its potential.

I’ll be patiently waiting for v1.0. I’ll be sure to be adding something new to my toolbox when that comes out. ;-)

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#44 2006-08-16 07:57:14

davidm

Thanks Marios, it was nice indeed taking a (short) break :)

@bit : thanks for your input, always nice to have feedback !
I truly don’t think MODx falls into the “Too much magic” pit, but I sure understand how it could look that way.

As stated time and again, the current admin is Eto legacy and will be totally different when 1.0 is out (let’s remind that the 1.0 branch is totally separate from 0.9.x, and is a total rewrite of the core, free of Eto legacy… Also, that the 1.0 dev has been under way for a few months now, parallel to the 0.9.x branch). In a way, it hardly should be considered as the same app…

In the meantime, some admin cleaning up has been done to the current branch for the upcoming 0.9.5 release, which will also pack significant improvements :D
I’ll say more about that in due time…

.: Retired :.

#45 2006-08-16 10:55:01

guiguibonbon

David, since you seem well aware, do you have any idea of when 1.0 will be out? I’ve got this project that could better be done in ModX, especially with the upcoming features i’m hearing about. Otherwise i’ll have to hack txp big way.

#46 2006-08-16 17:42:51

guiguibonbon

Well, it’s exactly multi-lingual, revisionning and an advanced permission system that I need. I’ve been able to build multi-lingual sites in txp before, the real draw-back is the lack of front-end editing in txp. I guess I’m going to try it out in modX in the coming weeks. If I understand you correctly, 0.9.5 is just a matter of days/weeks? Many thanks for the information!

#47 2006-10-03 21:56:08

lee

Thanks for the info, look forward to trying it out.

#48 2006-10-05 07:10:37

RussLipton

David … you know I like MODx and am using it in prototype fashion for a site. Still, I wonder whether it isn’t now becoming a bit gauche to pitch MODx in Textpattern’s forum when you have not contributed meaningfully to TxP in a long time? I would think it equally odd if a retired MODx user pitched TxP on the MODx forums.

I don’t doubt that you are still a friend to TxP but, heck, you are the ‘formal’ marketing director of MODx.

I’m not trying to start a flame war, so won’t comment again and hope no one else does either.

Board footer