Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-11-28 22:35:54

davidm

Re: MODx : a great Etomite Fork

As Ryan said, the interface is going to change and believe me (I’ve seen it) it’s going to look (and feel) pretty darn nice :)

The parser is undergoing a major overhaul too :D

.: Retired :.

#14 2005-11-29 01:27:39

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I have it loaded onto to my XamppLite install and concur that the interface is a bit of a brickwall for me as well. Of course I’m so used to TXP now… Anyway I will “stick in there”, leave it installed and wait for the update. See what happens.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#15 2006-02-06 18:43:08

davidm

You’ll most definitely see something happen with the interface in about 2 months :)

I have a least two reasons to suggest you get past the interface thing :

• <strong>template variables</strong> : I don’t know any CMS with so many degrees of freedom as far as custom fields are concerned (unlimited type and number). In fact, MODx goes even further than just custom fields if you consider the way you can combine them with @bindings (bind variable together with defined relationships) and widgets (display controls). Not to mention those custom variables are linked to a given template.
  • <strong>Content-type</strong> : various content-type for documents allow for some nice things, for instance ability to parse CSS documents which allows for dynamic stylesheets (a.k.a server side CSS). Imagine being able to insert tags and call plugins from your CSS… pretty wild what you can do (still have to wrap my head around this one…).

Believe me, the manager won’t look at all like it does now… I have been following the progress and getting looks at it, it won’t be a blocker 2 months from now :)

Last edited by davidm (2006-02-06 18:44:45)

#16 2006-02-06 20:08:53

hakjoon
Website

I’ve been keeping an eye on it and even just the few changes made in .9.1 to the manager are a huge improvement.

Been meaning to do a local install and try building a site with it but haven’t had the time yet.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#17 2006-02-23 02:06:38

neutrino
Website

@davidm

I’ve been poking around with ModX on a local install and crawling the Modx forums attempting to get my head around how it works. I have to say I’m feeling that surge of excitement building. I really like the TV idea—reminds me of Dreamweaver’s dynamic features (bindings and server behaviors). Very interesting. I haven’t seen anything like it. And from what I understand TXP could work from inside ModX?

I saw that you’ve launched a travel site. I wonder if you could give a gloss of what was different building with ModX versus our beloved TXP? Since I don’t speak (or read) French it’s a wee difficult to fully explore the site to find out on my own.

#18 2006-02-23 11:13:35

davidm

Yeah as you say, it need a lot of time to wrap your head around this one… it’s like Textpattern but with more degrees of liberty… Note that right now, we don’t have conditionnal tags though, that’s one major thing txp has over MODx even if lack of them is not as important as it would be in Textpattern. Let’s just say the new parser coming up in two months will add : conditionnal tags and… recursive parsing !!! (yeah, you read me : you can use a variable as a parameter in a snippet, or even use a snippet as a parameter in a snippet, module or plugin… pretty crazy, uh ?)

If you want a comprehensive take read Textpattern and MODx : a comparison. My take on this is here.

Template Variables are amazingly powerful : imagine any number of custom variables, which you can give any type to (text, number, RTE, dropdown, select…. etc) and which is associated to a tempalte (that’s the beauty of it too). Imagine also you can tell a page all its children should inherit certain chunks (amazing, uh ? it’s the @INHERIT binding). Imagine that you have a frontend editing module that allow your client to edit on the fly, without connecting to the manager, not only traditionnal content fields but also TVs…

That’s exactly why I needed MODx : to build a particular template for the travel catalog with TVs, so that the client can edit on the fly items of the catalog… it’s really powerful. But I’ll get into more details later, pretty busy right now…

Last edited by davidm (2006-02-23 11:17:47)

#19 2006-02-23 13:29:28

hakjoon
Website

I finally got a chance to really play around with MODx and I’m pretty impressed. The manager still seems very confusing to hand off to someone like my mom, but I know that it’s being worked on. TVs and @bindings are crazy cool though. It seems to combine many of the great aspects of ez-publish without the slowness. It’s definitely going in the toolbox.

#20 2006-02-23 13:35:27

davidm

… and also it share textpattern flexibility ! I have been at it for almost four months and I still don’ have my head wrapped around it ;D

The concept of using chunks in CSS (like having the ability to insert forms in CSS : a time saver you build modular css on the fly) on top of having it parsed by MODx (thus allowing for server side CSS) is really awesome to…

About the manager : I now have an estimate from the dev team for the new manager (around 2 months, since there will be An Admin Template Handler and API on top of all the CSS rework).

Some people haven’t waited and done some new Template for the Manager

Last edited by davidm (2006-02-23 13:39:23)

#21 2006-02-23 14:37:50

hakjoon
Website

Ohh admin templates. That solves it all right there. If you don’t like change it. Perfect.

#22 2006-02-23 15:35:38

neutrino
Website

Thanks David. I’ll go read that now—never occurred to me to search for textpattern on the ModX forum. I’m really excited about the project as a whole. It just seems really smart from the rebranding to the framework/application functionality not to mention the data grid widget!

@hakjoon

So “theorectically” we could make the admin look and feel something like TXP-that’s what I love most about TXP. When I was in school I had an instructor who sang the praises of using a computer for writing (at the comand line on a PC). He cautioned though that we might be more comfortable with a MAC because “she” made it easy-“just crawled up in your lap and wrapped her arms around you.” TXP has always been the MAC for me-ModX “feels” like the PC—better access to the command line.

Last edited by neutrino (2006-02-23 15:37:10)

#23 2006-02-23 16:27:37

hakjoon
Website

neutrino wrote:
So “theorectically” we could make the admin look and feel something like TXP-that’s what I love most about TXP.

That’s what I’m hoping for. From what I read of user, group permissions it seems that you could in theory create a “public” version of the site and an “admin lite” version that users say in a content creation group could see. So you could still have the current manager backend for when you need to really get under the hood, but you could use the friendly interface for day to day content publishing. Look at how they handle comments in teh blog tutorial and extend that to a full minimal admin interface.

It’s actually all there even without a full manager overall. I did something similar to this when I was using ez-publish so I didn’t have to deal with the backend all the time. You create a 3 tier approach: Site admins see the full manager create templates, TV’s etc. content contributors see a simplified interface geared towards creating content, anonymous users see the public site.

hmmm… modpatternX

#24 2006-02-23 19:13:43

neutrino
Website

hakjoon wrote:

From what I read of user, group permissions it seems that you could in theory create a “public” version of the site and an “admin lite” version that users say in a content creation group could see. So you could still have the current manager backend for when you need to really get under the hood, but you could use the friendly interface for day to day content publishing. Look at how they handle comments in the blog tutorial and extend that to a full minimal admin interface.

Yes, that was my take too. The potential seems incredible. I keep reading “limited only by your imagination”. Gosh, my imagination is something else . . .

hmmm… modpatternX

hmmmm . . . I get you. I like it!

Last edited by neutrino (2006-02-23 19:14:22)

Board footer