Re: Assignment: section permission design

Pick me! Pick me!

Meaning that if anybody can understand my english, I would be happy to join. ;P

#27 2006-01-03 00:31:28

squaredeye
Website

Alexandra,
As I said before, I am interested in participating.

-matthew

#28 2006-01-03 05:24:32

Jeremie
Website

Ok, we’ll see how it goes. I’m in too.

#29 2006-01-03 13:44:27

alexandra

Okay, i would say everybody who likes to contribute to the discussion and concept is welcomed in our workinggroup.

Our target is: getting a paper (concept) together reflecting the logic of a rights & permission system. In the first step not regarding Textpatterns capabilities.

As next we need someone who is responsible for the paper – structuring the informations.
(Who likes the job? saccade?)

So we all know what we are talking about, please read the following, more theoretical, article:
CMS-implementation II: description of the workflow through rights and roles. The article is availabe in german too.

Then we should gather some informations:
F. e. David knows Drupal quite well. May be he describes the permission system of Drupal a bit?

Any further / other ideas?

Last edited by alexandra (2006-01-03 13:46:21)

#30 2006-01-03 15:04:20

neutrino
Website

Can I watch? I might have something to contribute. Otherwise I’d be in learning mode.

#31 2006-01-03 15:15:17

squaredeye
Website

Alexandra,
I read the article. It was dense, but I believe I followed the concepts.
It seems like it will be important for the workgroup to have a cohesive language set in order to understand what means what? In the article, it mentions a lot about versioning. Is this something we’ll want to attack in the workgroup? The concept of permissions and versioning seem interrelated and I don’t know that they’ll be able to be segregated, but I thought it was worth asking about.

I will not be up to the task of “structuring information”. I wish I was, but this four month old child is taking up a great deal of time, simple participation is my limit – sorry.

I agree we should talk to David about Drupal.

I also think it wouldn’t hurt to think in real world terms about permission levels as well. Often times we get sucked into the vortex of the web and forget the ways that people think on a daily basis. I think it will be important to make judgement about permissions based on “usability, findability, and accessibility” from a conceptual standpoint. I think a corporate or business model is often a good one, as well as the typical editor based model?

I guess before we get going on this, we should figure out how we will begin communicating? Another thread? Via Email? ???

Thanks,

Matthew

#32 2006-01-03 19:57:46

alexandra

> ma_smith wrote:

It seems like it will be important for the workgroup to have a cohesive language set in order to understand what means what?

I absolutely agree. I see if i find some glossary resources.

In the article, it mentions a lot about versioning. Is this something we’ll want to attack in the workgroup? The concept of permissions and versioning seem interrelated and I don’t know that they’ll be able to be segregated, but I thought it was worth asking about.

By ‘versioning’ you talk about the status of an article? I read the german version of the article and a bit the english one. I am not quite sure to what part of the article you referr now regarding ‘versioning’.

I agree we should talk to David about Drupal.

We should open a new thread on the textpattern section of the board asking people about hteir experiences with other CMS´s perm. system.

I also think it wouldn’t hurt to think in real world terms about permission levels as well. Often times we get sucked into the vortex of the web and forget the ways that people think on a daily basis. I think it will be important to make judgement about permissions based on “usability, findability, and accessibility” from a conceptual standpoint. I think a corporate or business model is often a good one, as well as the typical editor based model?

I agree. My idea is: keep it simple, smart and scalable.

I guess before we get going on this, we should figure out how we will begin communicating? Another thread? Via Email? ???

I vote for another thread (Rights & Permission Workgroup) as we have to gather some informations from outside at this point.

Anybody any other ideas?

Last edited by alexandra (2006-01-03 20:15:25)

#33 2006-01-03 22:19:49

saccade
Plugin Author

okay, I think structuring the infos for the paper could be my job.

after a hard day of work (building a network of ill windows computers) I now have to rest for a night, and tomorrow will read the article. Sorry for the delay.

#34 2006-01-03 23:09:31

squaredeye
Website

Alexandra et al,

I concur. Lets start a new thread : Rights & Permission Workgroup.

Regarding versioning: My impression from the article is more vague than a specific paragraph. I sensed that there was a need for editing to happen in a linear fashion from least permission to most, or if it were to happen in a centrifigual/concentric pattern from outer to inner with multiple author’s of the same permission, then there was a more complex method. (I should look back through the article and pinpoint some specifics – perhaps) Anyway, that’s what I was on about. :)

Cool, lets get the ball rollin. :)

Matthew

#35 2006-01-04 14:33:41

alexandra

@Matthew
i am still all shocked about marys decision and therefor not well structured today. can you open the new thread, best on ‘textpattern’ board section. your english is far better than mine and a short introduction should be no problem for you. Thanks :)

#36 2006-01-04 16:07:45

squaredeye
Website

Yeah,
Me too. Stinks. Mary was really really kind and helpful. Change is constant.
I’ll get the thread started this afternoon.

Matthew

Board footer