Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2005-09-17 22:27:00

Els
Admin

Re: hit_logger plugins alpha v0.9.05 now available!

One other thing: the plugin causes my nice new /category/title urls, created with gbp_faux_static, to lead to my 404 page. So unfortunately I have to – temporarily – disable hit_logger, but I hope to find a solution for this (here or there). Otherwise I’ll have to decide what is more important… :(

#32 2005-09-18 01:16:33

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Lee I actually installed both and I’m slowly working through and switching off some of the hit-types though I shall probably keep some of them.

A gallery2 plug-in sounds rather nice though I haven’t figured out yet why you sent me to your about page.

I would definitely keep the Graham Norton thing under your hat. (He’s bloody funny though.)

So have you seen my paranoid 404 yet?

Last edited by thebombsite (2005-09-18 01:17:25)

Stuart – The BombsiteProText ThemesTextgarden

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#33 2005-09-18 16:09:17

LeeStewart
Plugin Author
Website

doggiez wrote:
YES!!! Got it working!

Wow. I’d never imagine that would have caused the problem. If the install didn’t go right, then you shouldn’t see the Preferences screen… Wacky.

I’ll work hard on getting this more robust so future users don’t have the same problem as you and NeilA.

[Lee]

Monkeys could have written a better post..

#34 2005-09-18 17:40:33

LeeStewart
Plugin Author
Website

also doggiez wrote:
One other thing: the plugin causes my nice new /category/title urls, created with gbp_faux_static, to lead to my 404 page.

Well, I look to see if the currently rendered page is flagged as a 404 and do some handling based on that info. My guess is that Textpattern doesn’t see the page and thinks it’s a 404, which is normally okay since gbp_faux_static is handling some internal remapping to point to a page that’s actually in the system.

I had intended for the “log_handle_redirects” parameter to turn off sending the browser to the “log_default_404_url” page, but I haven’t fully code that bit.

When I have a chance I’ll look at gbp_faux_static and see if there’s a way it can remove the 404 flag for pages that it’s remapping. I’m not sure that’s going to be possible since it would have to be called before my code and I don’t know how to control that.

Just one small thing: it doesn’t know Opera. <txp:hit_logger_browser /> does not display anything in Opera 8.02.

Yeah, there are a couple browsers that aren’t detected properly, same with OS and spider hits. There’s a lookup table for these values and I’ve got most of the major items in the list. Right now I’m working on a way to update those remotely, so the plugin will go out and get the latest records from my server.

[Lee]

#35 2005-09-18 17:59:49

Els
Admin

LeeStewart wrote:

Well, I look to see if the currently rendered page is flagged as a 404 and do some handling based on that info. My guess is that Textpattern doesn’t see the page and thinks it’s a 404, which is normally okay since gbp_faux_static is handling some internal remapping to point to a page that’s actually in the system.

I had intended for the “log_handle_redirects” parameter to turn off sending the browser to the “log_default_404_url” page, but I haven’t fully code that bit.

When I have a chance I’ll look at gbp_faux_static and see if there’s a way it can remove the 404 flag for pages that it’s remapping. I’m not sure that’s going to be possible since it would have to be called before my code and I don’t know how to control that.

My knowledge of coding is absolutely zero, so you’ll understand I don’t have a very good idea of what is possible and what is not. It would be nice if I could use both plugins, but if I’m asking for something too complex please don’t spend time on it just because I happen to like aberrant urls…

Yeah, there are a couple browsers that aren’t detected properly, same with OS and spider hits. There’s a lookup table for these values and I’ve got most of the major items in the list. Right now I’m working on a way to update those remotely, so the plugin will go out and get the latest records from my server.

Neat.

#36 2005-09-18 22:09:44

LeeStewart
Plugin Author
Website

rossharvey wrote:
What can I say, awesome plugin. Lists all the logging goodness you need. Popular search terms is the most interesting!

Thanks!

By the way, I use the term “search phrase”, since it’s sort of a condensed version of what the user typed into Google (or wherever). I take the search term, remove short words (less than 3 characters) and some punctuation, then lower-case and alphabetize the remaining words.

Some hit tracking code considers “Random Oddness” and “random oddness” to be different strings. I went the opposite route and “normalize” the data, which increases the number of hits you’ll get from search terms that are close. For example “a puppy is cute” and “cute puppy” are the same within my logger.

The disadvantage is that Google considers those phrases very different. Plus I now get hits like “for place technology wimps”, which is a little weird.

[Lee]

#37 2005-09-19 16:03:22

LeeStewart
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:
A gallery2 plug-in sounds rather nice though I haven’t figured out yet why you sent me to your about page.

Because I put some screenshot images on my about page, but they’re just plunked into the page in some awkward manner. My Gallery integration will fix that.

I would definitely keep the Graham Norton thing under your hat. (He’s bloody funny though.)

My girlfriend thinks he’s a twit and leaves the room when I turn it on. I sometimes use this fact to my advantage…

So have you seen my paranoid 404 yet?

Yeah, I’d seen it – I’m amazed by how many lines are the same length!

[Lee]

#38 2005-09-19 18:10:59

Els
Admin

I had hit_logger disabled (in Admin:Preferences) for a while (not deactivated or uninstalled), and I noticed that caused everything under the Extensions tab to disappear. In my install there are also the tabs for rss_admin_db_manager, but when hit_logger was disabled clicking Extensions lead me to an empty screen…

#39 2005-09-19 18:58:37

LeeStewart
Plugin Author
Website

doggiez wrote:
I had hit_logger disabled (in Admin:Preferences) for a while (not deactivated or uninstalled), and I noticed that caused everything under the Extensions tab to disappear.

Fixed, thanks for finding that! I’d coded things a little too aggressively with the disabling. In the next release, disabling my plugins will mean that I won’t track hits or handle any of my tags. It also means that the admin:log screen will use the Textpattern page and not the hit_viewer screen.

All of the tabs under extensions should appear, including mine.

[Lee]

#40 2005-09-20 20:34:33

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Lee-

I’m seeing some strange things with 404 handling. I have my log_default_404_url set to mysite.com/404, which is basically a blank section whose only page shows the 404 message. This works great if someone clicks a not-found link — they get the correct 404 page displayed. But if by chance someone tinkers with the URL of the resulting page (changing it from mysite.com/404?i=6166 to mysite/com/404?ls=imp — why? I don’t know, but I’m seeing it in my logs), then the output gets really strange; it turns into a basically unformatted list of titles.

Is there a way around this? Am I just implementing the 404 section incorrectly?

Thanks-
-Alan

-Alan

Board footer