Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2007-10-29 08:12:32

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: mem_moderation - Generic Moderation

And is it possible to have users be able to edit/delete their own articles AFTER moderation approval?

I don’t think so but I may be wrong – I don’t know the plug-in inside out, but my understanding is that the article is held in the moderation queue (i.e. the new database table added when you install the plug-in) until you accept or reject it. Then it gets posted as a regular article to txp or is discarded. Either way it then departs from the context of the plug-in.

I am willing to donate/pay for this. What I want is an user area which lists all the posts made by the person, then allow them to edit/delete their article/s.

Yes, interesting that this has come up repeatedly recently in different threads. Ultimately it’s about giving visitors partial access to the back-end or just the back-end in a simplified UI form or in a tailored form for particular tasks. This is perhaps a more general txp-question and one that I think the xPattern group idea wants/wanted to address with an offshoot of txp that allows different panes than just the write pane onto the database information, and a more granular user-access to the different back-end editing areas. The step to excerpting a single pane to the front-end would then not be so far.

I agree it would be helpful to present users with a user-definable window onto (a specific part of) the database so that they can revise just those selected items without conferring them regular access to the back-end and all that entails. AFAIK mem_moderation provides only the tailor-made input option at present (which is of course tantalising).

Finally, there is a hack to only display the author’s own articles/images/files (see this thread). If you then trim back the back-end to be as simple as possible you get at least some of the way there.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#110 2007-10-29 21:28:12

jstubbs
Website

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the message. I don’t think the plugin allows for a user to edit an article once it has been “moderated”, but that’s what I would like.

Here is what I need for this site:

-users post articles
-users can edit/delete their own articles (only their own)
-edit/delete should be on a separate page, not the TXP Admin backend. All articles for the user should be displayed, unless an article has been deleted

On a related note, I also need to use custom fields for this project. The user needs to be able to select countries and states, plus a couple more fields. I posted on this yesterday or day before.

Hopefully Michael or someone can come up with something. Since there seems to be the demand, and mem_moderation already exists, maybe half the work is already done.

#111 2007-11-02 02:53:49

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

Once an item (article, image, link, etc) is either approved or rejected it is removed from the queue and outside the scope of this plugin.

Do you picture the post moderation article edits (and deletions) as being moderated actions?

#112 2007-11-02 07:17:38

jstubbs
Website

Manfre wrote:

Do you picture the post moderation article edits (and deletions) as being moderated actions?

For this site I am working on – yes. Its a classifieds site, with users registering (ign_password/mem_self_register) first, then able to post a classified. After moderation, the classified is posted.

What I would like is to allow users to login, then see all their current classifieds. Many times we have users (on our current system) asking to edit or delete their listings. It would be helpful if they could do this themselves.

Perhaps the moderated articles could stay in the mem_moderation table?

We could work with the way mem_moderation is setup now – but the extra user-friendly option to be able to self-edit would be perfect.

#113 2007-11-07 16:02:08

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

Leaving the entries in the moderation queue will cause more problems than it will fix. If you have diligent moderators, than you could work off the idea that anything left in the queue is approved. The biggest problems will be when spam starts to slip through and my unwillingness to support this configuration.

The proper solution would be to have a moderation plugin that adds action support to the queue. You would need actions that allow edits and deletions. They would need a reference to the original moderated item. The actions would be viewed in the queue, along with all other items pending moderation. Approving an action would carry out the action. E.g. delete the article or replace the text of an article.

#114 2007-11-07 18:27:36

jstubbs
Website

OK. That’s helpful information, next question for me is how do I proceed – I don’t have the PHP skills to perform this task.

The original idea was to have users register (mem_self_register), then post a classified through the mem_moderation form. Once posted, a user could login, then visit a page where he/she could edit/delete the classified. On our current site, we can’t do this, and it was something that would be helpful, but not absolutely necessary.

I guess we either dump the idea, or find someone like you who has the knowledge and is willing to develop the plugin further. There is at least one other person posting here who is interested in something similar.

The other thing I need to do with the classified posting form (mem_moderation_article) is to use custom_fields for entering data – I posted on that here

Questions:

1. Do you have any idea if its possible to use custom_fields with the glz_custom_fields plugin in your mem_moderation_article form? Or I have to use a tag like mod_custom_input instead in the submission form?
2. Could you say if you are interested in exploring the plugin (paid if necessary) as you mention in your second paragraph above. If not, I either shelve the idea of having users edit/delete their posts or find a developer who can do this.

Don’t want to press you – simply trying to figure out how to go about solving our problem.

Thanks for the time and help.

#115 2007-11-07 20:16:06

Dawk

I’m the one you referenced & I’m in.

Bored and looking for stuff to code aye? :)

Mines pretty simple too, shouldn’t be more than a couple hours if that.
Basically down to attaching the article ID to the new user/db & a few sort options possibly.

No problem paying a decent wage for a few hours.

Cheers

#116 2007-11-08 22:19:07

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

@jstubbs,

1. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. as long as the form field names are posted as custom_1 .. custom_10 it shouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
2. I’ve had the plugin idea floating around in my brain for a few months. Money is the only way you can guarantee it sees the light of day in a time frame that matches your needs.

@dawk, What do you mean by attaching the article ID to the user entry? Your wording implies each user is bound to a single article. Send me an email of what you are trying to accomplish for you site and how the ID will be used.

#117 2007-11-08 22:49:04

jstubbs
Website

Thanks Michael. I sent you a mail. If anyone else is interested in this project, please let me know. Forgot to ask one thing – does mem_moderation have any anti-spam features?

#118 2007-11-09 00:36:56

Dawk

Hey Manfre :)

Exactly, each sponsor gets a page(article) & each user signs up under a sponsor.

I grunted my way thru it, got the reg system & profile editing area finished about a 1/2hr ago.
Could probably use some help on some sorting issues now though, just starting on trying to make a few sorted lists.

If I could sort mem_users by article_id or a custom field, I’d have it whupped :) by 2 custom fields would future proof it. Settle for 1 of either/or right now lol

& the last thing is an Article Count by Section?

I’ll shoot ya an email, appreciate it.

P.S.
I also discovered a <txp:mem_self_user_count /> poking around the mem_self_register code, came in handy & didn’t see it in any documentation. Worth mentioning.

#119 2007-11-10 17:35:52

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

Random Moderation Tip

The author id of the approved article reflects the moderator who approved it, not the submitter. Add the following to your article submission form to pass the submitter’s username through. It can be retrieved from the “custom_10” field.

<input type="hidden" name="custom_10" value="<txp:ign_logged_user />" />

#120 2007-11-25 12:00:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Lately, I’ve been receiving quite a bit of spam through my mem_mod form. Any possiblity of incorporating this simple yet quite effective honeypot captcha mechanism?

PS: further elaborations on the same topic

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer