Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-09-09 19:54:17

chrisrhee
Website

Re: TXP works but other scripts dont work because TXP. mod_rewrite issue?

I’m having similiar problems, I think. With a password protected /shortstat/ directory. If shortstat has the .htaccess file that tells it it’s password protected, I get a 404 page whenever I try to access it. I remove the .htaccess from /shortstat/ and it works fine (although it’s not password protected anymore). A lot more htaccess headaches from an RC3 to 4.0.1 upgrade… I thought I got rid of them all forever, lol

#14 2005-09-09 20:20:55

maniqui
Website

Hey, I have more discoveries in this issue.

First:

maniqui wrote:
>
> All I had to do was deleting this lines from the oscommerce .htaccess:
&gt; <code>&lt; Directory “/usr/local/apache/htdocs” &gt;
&gt; AllowOverride Options
&gt; &lt; /Directory &gt;</code>
&gt;

First, that is not right. <strong>Deleting/commenting those lines doesnt solve the problem</strong>. I was wrong with the status of this lines in an standard Oscommerce installation.
Those lines are commented (#) by default in a osC installation.
So, Oscommerce should work with those lines commented.
If I uncomment those lines (and i did that), I get a 500 Internal Server Error (that was my first mistake).

So, starting again-
What did I do?
I left those lines commented (as if oscommerce was recently installed by cPanel).
Then, I have deleted the TXP .htaccess.
Then, I tried to access to my osCommerce Admin and I get success. It asked my for a username and a password.

I added the TXP .htaccess again, because clean URLs are more important to me than just a password-protection. Of course, now I get a 404 error.

So, the ball seems to be again in the TXP playground.

I must admit that maybe there is something with my host.

<quote=chrishee>
a lot more htaccess headaches from an RC3 to 4.0.1 upgrade
</quote>

Yeah! But I love TXP, and I’m going to suffer and sacrifice anything for TXP, including password-protected directories!

chrishee:
did you check <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=9920”>this thread</a>?

Last edited by maniqui (2005-09-11 16:54:57)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2005-09-09 21:57:03

chrisrhee
Website

Yes, I’ve checked that topic, but I think that’s more of a /stats/ that’s created by the server. /shortstat/ on my server is actually a folder on the server that’s being password protected. So I think it’s more like your osCommerce situation, since the admin folder is an actual folder on your server that’s being password protected and not a URL that’s being re-written.

#16 2005-09-09 22:22:11

maniqui
Website

This is interesting:

if I delete the TXP .htaccess, then access to the osC Admin (giving a username and password), and while logged to the osC admin, I upload the TXP .htaccess again, I have no problems to keep using and navigating thru the osCommerce admin.
I mean, I dont get any 404 error after I logged in, even with the TXP .htaccess in the server (uploaded after I get access to the admin side, of course).

So, all this issue seems to be related with the password-protection and the authentication.
The code lines related to the authentication are:
<code>AuthType Basic
AuthName “osCommerce Admin Side”
AuthUserFile “/home/xxxxxx/.htpasswds/catalogo/admin/passwd”
require valid-user</code>

Last edited by maniqui (2005-09-09 23:29:05)

#17 2005-09-13 02:07:10

zem
Developer Emeritus

I’m moving this to the ‘textpatter’ forum, because it seems to be an osCommerce problem.

Alex

#18 2005-09-13 02:27:28

chrisrhee
Website

But it’s not really an osCommerce problem, I think. I’m having the same type of problems and I’m using a completely different script (a stats script). It has to do with password protecting a directory with .htaccess and htpasswd (at least for me, it is… and seems to be the same for maniqui.)

#19 2005-09-13 03:12:49

maniqui
Website

I think chrisrhee is right.

My Oscommerce installation is working since one year and few months ago. I also use TXP since one year ago.
This problem started after upgrading to 4.0.

I made a mistake when I said that it worked for me by changing some lines (both in TXP .htaccess and in osCommerce .htaccess). It was just an ilution, produced by loggin first to osC admin and then adding the TXP .htaccess.
And that didnt fixed after upgrading to TXP 4.0.1.

If I delete my TXP .htaccess and keep osC .htaccess, I can log to osCommerce admin by using a password.
If I keep TXP .htaccess and keep osC .htaccess, I only get a 404 error managed by TXP.
If I keep TXP .htaccess and delete osC .htacces, I can access to the osC admin without using password.

So, I differ with Zem. I dont think this is an osCommerce problem but… there is something we must admit:

I think TXP is, by far, more “up-to-date” with last technologies and servers configuration than osCommerce.

osCommerce MS2.2 is the choice of thousands of users since some years. Maybe, tt has been tested in all kind of servers and behind many differents server configurations.
But i think an osCommerce installation isnt up-to-date to take advantage of the last advances in servers, databases, php, etc. I also hear that osCommerce code is a little messing (too many hands?)…
But, again, it works, it has been working for years.

In the other hand, <strong>TXP is a more recent script, more up-to-date, an piece of code art, a fine piece of pottery, taking advantages of the latest web-technologies and standard coding practices, but also concerned in giving backward compatibility many kinds of <em>not-so-up-to-date</em> server configurations.</strong> But TXP is younger, and maybe all the marvelous features (like clean URLs, in this case) hasnt been tested in many kinds of conditions.

So, maybe… maybe… osCommerce is causing all this problem for not-being so up-to-date to standards practices as TXP.
Or maybe, TXP is causing this problem because it still needs to be tested and tunned and tweaked to work with other older scripts… maybe the mod_rewrite needs a cleanest implementation (I’m not a developer, but I think it is very very clean… but maybe it can be… cleaner).

Well
my two cents (I dont know what does it mean, but I read too many english forums and lot of signatures have that)
<small>thanks and excuse my english</small>

Last edited by maniqui (2005-11-12 17:04:02)

#20 2005-09-13 04:31:28

chrisrhee
Website

If I delete my TXP .htaccess and keep osC .htaccess, I can log to osCommerce admin by using a password.
If I keep TXP .htaccess and keep osC .htaccess, I only get a 404 error managed by TXP.
If I keep TXP .htaccess and delete osC .htacces, I can access to the osC admin without using password.

That’s exactly how it is for me (just replace osC with the stats script I’m using). I doubt it has to do with osC because like I said, mine is completely different and like yours, everything was working fine until I went from TXP RC3 to 4.0.1, which has a different .htaccess file for TXP.

Last edited by chrisrhee (2005-09-13 04:31:42)

#21 2005-10-05 20:31:33

Frank
Website

This is not an oSC problem but a TXP htaccess problem. After upgrading to 4.0.1 from 1.x and installing the new TXP htaccess file, other directories under the site root and protected by htaccess (vbulletin) all give 404 errors. Removal of the TXP htaccess results in vB directories working again.

Our vBulletin htaccess file is:

AuthType Basic
AuthName “Moderator Access Only”
AuthUserFile “/home/xxxxx/.htpasswds/board/modcp/passwd”
require valid-user

This worked perfectly well until TXP upgrade. Now the url results in a 404 when using the new TXP htaccess. Help please! :)

Last edited by Frank (2005-10-05 20:38:43)

#22 2005-10-05 21:21:57

Frank
Website

Tried this line and it fixes the problems with vbulletin. However, this also breaks textpattern’s clean URLs.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/board/.* [OR]

#23 2005-10-06 01:22:42

zem
Developer Emeritus

That’s because it’s the opposite of what you need. Try it without the !.

Alex

#24 2005-10-08 04:32:15

blumie607
Website

On the same note, when I try to access a script in the cgi-bin, TXP redirects to a 404 page. This is new with 4.0.1, though, as when I was using rc3 (I think), this didn’t happen.

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

Board footer