Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2005-09-28 20:13:33

bizartist
Website

Re: Textpattern Resources Logo & Icons Design Contest

OK, a rough mockup ;)

After enduring years of Art School, mild mannered Owen Waring noticed some unusual changes… the constant bombardment of criticism, it seems, had altered his DNA. Half pixel pusher, half programmer, he had become…. THE BIZARTIST

#50 2005-09-29 06:03:26

Destry
Website

Niconemo wrote: I prefer the ones that recall the original txp logo (because there are many txp “official” sites now and I could frighten new-comers if there are plenty of different logos… I think)

I tend to agree on this point. There should really be a connection between official sites. See my pitch at bottom.

Niconemo wrote: [with respect to the digging man] It recalls the original logo but it’s another one. And I like the idea of digging to find a tresure. The one with the digger beneath earth is funny but it seems negative to me : digging deep is digging hard, long, with risks, you see ?

Agree on both counts.

bizartist wrote: “Digging guy” is fun, if you go that way we should have a “reading a book guy” in the same style for the wiki.

That is funny, man, because that is exactly what I was thinking before — “thinking guy” — (I just didn’t mention it).

I’m not crazy about that mockup though Biz…a little too much going on there, or maybe it’s just the way things are arranged. I think the digging guy graphic also needs to have the dirt feathered-out so it’s not so square looking in that corner, maybe even extend the dirt out a bit so it moves under the word “text,” giving it more connection with the rest of the logo. Another thing about the digging guy, the strokes are not in the same style as the orginal chiseling guy, if digging guy had the same flowing, brush-stroke lines, that would really be sweet (but probably tough to do); as it is now it kind of looks like an ink stamp.

The Pitch:

Being that it would be ideal to keep a connection between official sites (and not inadvertently confuse people) maybe we should also come up with a standard set of graphical buttons, one for each official Textpattern site (TxP, TxB, TxResources, TxMag, TxG…), and each official site uses the buttons in a prominant place (generally as a button bar at the bottom of the home page); like they do at Ozone Asylum (see bottom of page), for example. The buttons should not change appearance from site to site, they should always be consistent across sites. With that in place it might be a bit safer to change the working man style in each logo.

Maybe something like this: TxP has chiseling guy, TxResources has digging guy, TxB has thinking/reading guy (the thinking man statue comes to mind), TxG has tractor driving guy (?), TxMag has…hmmm tough one. Anyway you get the idea. Whatever the case, the working man is what should be prominant in a button, as well as perhaps the acronyms (TxP, TxB, TxG, etc.); full titles will be too much for buttons.

Anyway, good food for thought.

Last edited by Destry (2005-09-29 06:15:07)

#51 2005-09-29 06:12:23

Joey

<blockquote>I’m not crazy about that mockup though Biz…a little too much going on there, or maybe it’s just the way things are arranged. I think the digging guy graphic also needs to have the dirt feathered-out so it’s not so square looking in that corner,</blockquote>

I agree with that… I think the mockup eyes a little to ‘busy’.

Regards,

Joey

#52 2005-09-29 18:04:39

zero
Website

Although your pitch is very good food for thought, Destry, I don’t see how you could get those images onto the buttons without them becoming too large. But perhaps I am thinking too small…

<strong>IF</strong> the digging man idea is adopted, then perhaps TXM should be the reading person and TXB a scratching head person. Not sure about altering TXG for obvious reasons. Perhaps add a person bending down to pick the flowers if that could be done tastefully.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#53 2005-09-29 21:06:21

Joey

txp-resources-crew: when do you make the final decision?

Regards,

Joey

#54 2005-09-29 22:57:49

bizartist
Website

This is cool, I can see a whole “text*” brand shaping up here, with a great recognizable mascot.

In regards to my mockup, definitely emphasis on the rough part, as I didn’t have much time to spend dressing it up, but I think everyone got the basic idea. Perhaps the tagline/description could be seperated from the logo badge and placed somewhere else in the header (which would be the more efficient way to go).

I also kind of like the idea of using the abbreviated names (TxP, TxG, etc…) with the mascot of each site, although in the spirit of textpattern, I think we should settle on a nice serif typeface that represents the “essence” of textpattern, and stick to that for consistency (perhaps some guidance from Dean on a suitable typeface?)

After enduring years of Art School, mild mannered Owen Waring noticed some unusual changes… the constant bombardment of criticism, it seems, had altered his DNA. Half pixel pusher, half programmer, he had become…. THE BIZARTIST

#55 2005-09-29 23:52:45

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

> JoeyNL wrote:
> txp-resources-crew: when do you make the final decision?

The “crew” is currently digesting feedback and considering options. Thanks to everyone for your feedback thusfar. Since we’re in the process of redesigning an existing site and trying to fit the logo into the context of the design we were already thinking of, there’s lots to consider. At this point, here are the options we’re looking at:

1. Narrow down to 2 or 3 final choices and re-post them
  2. Contact some of the logo designers for some fine tuning of their creations
  3. Combining parts of multiple submissions into one final logo

In either of the cases we’re working on keeping things moving even if we’re not posting here. November 1 is doing nothing but getting closer so we need to get this reboot rolling. As soon as we have more info, we’ll surely post it here.

#56 2005-10-06 03:09:49

alicson
Website

okay, I know you guys have been really patiently waiting for the result of the logo contest.
we’ll have something for you tomorrow…

for today, this is just me saying hi…. “hi”

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#57 2005-10-06 03:12:11

ubernostrum
Website

Hi.

You cooin’ with my bird?

#58 2005-10-08 21:13:39

Joey

<blockquote>we’ll have something for you tomorrow…</blockquote>

so, what’s up :-)

Regards,

Joey

#59 2005-10-09 03:27:21

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Without further ado, the results you’ve been waiting for…

The logo design that will be used for Textpattern Resources v2 is none other than Mr. Digging Guy.

We may of course have to do some minor adjusting but this is pretty much it. We’ll partner it with a new tag line: “Uncovering tips, tricks and plugins for Textpattern”. The designer of the logo has requested to remain nameless until the reboot is launched so you’ll have to wait until then to find out the identity of the winner.

Thanks again for all who submitted entries. It was definitely a tough decision. Some other entries of note that were under final consideration include entries by:

All of these had great potential but didn’t quite fit into the style of the site we have in mind. But its always possible that we could use these or other entries in the future.

Now, a mere 23 days remain to reboot the site. Be sure to check back on 11/1 for Textpattern Resources v2.

Last edited by wilshire (2005-10-09 14:09:09)

Board footer