Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2004-06-20 20:48:55

bleveck
Website

Re: Browsing by date plugin

Yeah… I had the same problem. I used the date aware articles but the month list was not working. It may be that your host does not support register_globals on (this was my problem). The month list plugin relies on that. Many hosts don’t allow register_globals on because there is a security vulnerability associated with it. I talked to the kolonel and he said he’ll probably rewrite the plugin to not rely on it.

#38 2004-06-20 21:18:17

mrpunkin
Website

Is there a way to turn it on? I run my own server in house but am not too savvy with that stuff.

Bryan
.:Mrpunkin.coM:.

#39 2004-06-20 22:52:07

bleveck
Website

Sure. I think you could just enable it in your php configuration or if you use apache, you can use an .htaccess file with the command: php_flag register_globals on. I don’t know your server setup, but you can find this sort of information very easily with a google search.

Remember though, it opens up a security vulnerability whereby people can start sending certain php commands to your website. There is supposedly a security modifcation to counter this, but I don’t know what that is. I’m still new at this sort of thing myself, and I don’t run my own server. Ideally, programmers wouldn’t rely on register_globals being on, but the reality is they do. So its a matter of doing the above, or rewriting the scripts.

#40 2004-06-20 23:19:41

mrpunkin
Website

maybe ill just wait then ;)

Bryan

#41 2004-06-22 01:41:30

ubernostrum
Website

bleveck:

The problem with having register_globals on is that you have to be very, very careful with all your variables, because you never know where they’re coming from. Suppose, for example, that you have a very rudimentary CMS which, internally, decides what page to serve based on a variable named $file; whatever file’s name is in that variable, the CMS will include and serve. With register_globals on, someone could type the following URL:

http://yoursite.com/index.php?file=/etc/passwd

and your CMS would serve up your server’s password file. That’s an exaggerated example, but when you have register_globals on, any variable you use could, without your knowledge, be overwritten to a possibly malicious value by a well-constructed GET or POST request. With register_globals off, that isn’t possble; the above URL wouldn’t set the variable $file, it’d set the variable $_GET['file'] and your CMS wouldn’t hand over any passwords. So if you don’t know what you’re doing (and even, in a lot of cases, if you do) it’s a good idea to turn off register_globals.

You cooin’ with my bird?

#42 2004-06-22 01:52:08

bleveck
Website

Wow… thanks ubernostrum. That was surprisingly clear.

#43 2004-06-22 02:02:32

CellarFloor
Website

A question about <txp:akw_article_date_aware /> when the next month rolls around will my homepage be blank because there are no articles from that month? is there a way I can set it to just display the last 20 articles regardless of date, and if date is specified in a get request have it go by that instead?

#44 2004-06-22 21:32:49

philippo

thekolonel,

do you think the register_globals fix is going to be a difficult one?

#45 2004-06-23 19:56:51

thekolonel
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Shouldn’t be too hard. I’ll crank it out sometime this week.

#46 2004-06-28 23:01:27

mrpunkin
Website

Any updates?

Bryan

#47 2004-06-29 19:25:03

thekolonel
Archived Plugin Author
Website

New version’s up. Let me know if those of you on TextDrive still have problems. Grab the new archive plugin as well if you’re using that.

#48 2004-06-30 14:10:34

pynchon

Hello, sorry, but I’m totally new at this. This is my first time ever using a plugin. If anyone could provide help or point me in some direction, I’d really appreciate it.

My steps:

1) I installed the two plug-ins from thekolonel: akw_archive and akw_date_aware. I then clicked on their active columns so that it now reads “Yes”

2) Next I made a new archives section and replaced the <txp:article /> in the center with <txp:akw_article_date_aware />.

This is as far as I got. What am I missing?

Board footer