Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#313 2011-08-15 18:53:02

maruchan
Website

Re: hak_article_image

So is there a listing of what javascript interaction (if any) is straight out of the box

1. None and 2. All — Textpattern’s default website template does not use Javascript. If you want to use any Javascript library, just put the <script> tag you want to use inside your Textpattern page template’s <head> tags.

and where to install javascript libraries needed beyond what Textpattern already uses by default?

You can make a folder in your site (top level folder, not usually under /textpattern) called “js” and upload any scripts to it. Then in your <head> tags you could do something like:

<script type="text/javascript" src="<txp:site_url />js/script-name-here.js"></script>

That would load the file and make it available for use by your website.

but then saw another thread here on the forums about how textpattern’s image tags had evolved

They have but again, Textpattern is just generating HTML. If your Javascript plugin requires some really fancy HTML, maybe you will need a Textpattern plugin. But nowadays the default Textpattern images tags will do most of what a Javascript plugin will need.

Guess Gallerific is beyond a simple setup for images so plugins are still needed?

Correction: Javascript plugins are still needed, not Textpattern plugins. These are two completely different things.

#314 2011-08-15 18:58:41

WebmistressM

Thanks for the clarification on working with javascript. I think something I said confused you into thinking I associated javascript integration requirements with textpattern plugin requirements. I can see that Gallerific no longer needs plugins but I just was asking about the javascript integration portion, not the plugin portion.

For now, the Gallerific info on Txp Tips is not helping due to them informing of the new Image template tags but not showing a new (updated) example of how you work the new tags to your advantage. So, confusion stemmed from that, regarding how to handle Gallerific (since Im coming in right on the heels of the new Image Tag revisions).

#315 2011-08-15 19:08:35

maruchan
Website

asking about the javascript integration portion, not the plugin portion.

Yep, do the part in the Tip where it says “link to the files below” inside your Textpattern page template’s <head> tags. That will complete the integration.

For now, the Gallerific info on Txp Tips is not helping due to them informing of the new Image template tags but not showing a new (updated) example of how you work the new tags to your advantage.

The tutorial is based on the new tags; they’re right there in the tutorial code. What update do you feel is necessary?

(since Im coming in right on the heels of the new Image Tag revisions).

It’s almost been a year since those tags were introduced, and the TXP Tip on Gallerific was written 5 months ago or so.

#316 2011-08-15 19:13:24

WebmistressM

It’s almost been a year since those tags were introduced, and the TXP Tip on Gallerific was written 5 months ago or so.

Okay, thats where the confusion came from. I noticed it saying there was an update on Gallerific’s Txp Tip but I was a bit unsure if they had updated the code on that page, or if there was an updated article that wasnt linked to and I had not yet found in my Google search about this gallery tool.

#317 2011-08-15 19:24:50

ax
Plugin Author

It is not difficult to get Galleriffic working using the image tags. For example, this code would displays images for categories. Of course, you have to load galleriffic.js first.

<div id="gallery" class="content"> 
	<div id="controls" class="controls"></div>
	<div id="caption" class="caption"></div>
	<div class="slideshow-container"> 
		<div id="loading" class="loader"></div> 
		<div id="slideshow" class="slideshow"></div>
	</div> <!-- slideshow-container -->
</div><!-- content -->

<div id="thumbs" class="navigation">
<txp:images category='<txp:category />' wraptag="ul" break="" class="thumbs noscript">
	<li>
	<a href="<txp:image_url />" class="thumb" title="<txp:image_info type="caption" />"><txp:image_info type="name" /></a>
	<div class="caption" id="caption"><txp:image_info type="caption" /></div>
	</li>
</txp:images>
</div><!-- thumbs -->

<script type="text/javascript"> 
// We only want these styles applied when javascript is enabled
$('div.navigation').css({'width' : '120px', 'float' : 'left'});
$('div.content').css('display', 'block');

$(document).ready(function() {				
// Initialize Minimal Galleriffic Gallery
$('#thumbs').galleriffic({
	imageContainerSel:      '#slideshow',
	captionContainerSel:    '#caption',
	controlsContainerSel:   '#controls',
        renderSSControls:          true, // Specifies whether the slideshow's Play and Pause links should be rendered
        renderNavControls:         true, // Specifies whether the slideshow's Next and Previous links should be rendered
        playLinkText:              'Play',
        pauseLinkText:             'Pause',
        prevLinkText:              'Previous',
        nextLinkText:              'Next',
        nextPageLinkText:          'Next &rsaquo;',
        prevPageLinkText:          '&lsaquo; Previous'
	});
});
</script>

#318 2011-08-15 19:25:36

WebmistressM

Thank you! :) This is awesome!

#319 2011-08-15 19:59:15

WebmistressM

Incidenally, is portfolio.js a seperate plugin? Is it also needed? This TXP tip page mentions it but I dont find it in the download upon the twospy site.

http://txptips.com/galleriffic-image-gallery-without-any-plugins

#320 2011-08-15 20:43:16

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

In that example portfolio.js is the javascript provided under the heading Initialize Galleriffic

It’s a missleading article since they use the smd_thumbnail plugin. For a true no-plugin solution you could replace:

<txp:smd_if_thumbnail type="large">
						<txp:smd_thumbnail type="large" add_stamp="1" />
					</txp:smd_if_thumbnail>

with

<txp:thumbnail/>

Last edited by MattD (2011-08-15 20:50:48)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#321 2011-08-16 04:58:33

WebmistressM

Does the jquery have to go in the page template or should it be called in an external file?

#322 2011-11-10 23:31:06

jnr
Website

Is there going to be any support for image titles? or is there a fix to provide titles that are in the image not in a link? Sorry if this question has been posted previously

#323 2011-11-11 16:20:02

hakjoon
Website

jnr: with all the new image tags in TXP core I didn’t think anyone was really using this plugin anymore. a good amount of the functionality is now built in (not all).

Can you just be a bit clearer on the support you want for image titles? I ahve enough code written for custom image tags that I can probably just implement it or leverage the new built in tags. A example tag use would be the best.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#324 2011-11-15 07:39:27

WebmistressM

Update: Sadly, Im still getting pixelated results when it comes to any thumbnail not generated the default method. So far hak_article_image is not useful for me when it comes to wanting to control the “crop area” of the thumbnail. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Board footer