Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-08-25 19:43:59

chrismc
Plugin Author
Website

Re: XML-RPC for Textpattern 4.0 - test release

Sorry to hijack the thread, but XRT version 2 will be released very soon.

#26 2005-08-25 23:33:54

Anark

Wait — when Kurt said he updated your plugin, I just assumed you had abandoned it and he’d taken over. Are you saying there are going to be two competing XML-RPC plugins, based on the same code, doing the same thing?

#27 2005-08-26 00:20:49

KurtRaschke
Plugin Author

Okay, I’ll fess up. I didn’t exactly coordinate with Chris before releasing my updated version. I saw a lot of people struggling to get XML-RPC to work under TXP 4.0.0, and I also saw that a few small changes could get things running relatively well, so I put my changes together and released it as an updated version of XRT. Chris, if I’ve stepped on your toes here, I’m sorry—of course I left proper attribution in the code, but I did refer to my version as an update to XRT, and I can see how that could cause confusion.

So, that’s that. Moving forward, though, Dean contacted me a while back about rolling XML-RPC into Textpattern itself, and also indicated that Pedro has been working on XML-RPC support of his own. I don’t think it would be smart for Textpattern to end up with three XML-RPC interfaces, so I think at this point the best we can do is get everything in the open and try and merge things back and forth until we get something which works as well as possible. There are definitely weaknesses in my code, and while I can’t speak to XRT 2 or any other as-yet-unreleased code, I think Textpattern as a whole would benefit from mature XML-RPC support based around the code which has been written thus far.

Last edited by KurtRaschke (2005-08-26 00:26:33)

kurt@kurtraschke.com

#28 2005-08-26 12:28:53

chrismc
Plugin Author
Website

Don’t worry – no toe-stepping done! I’d not looked at XRT in months and it was only in the last few days that I coded v2, as I had a few ideas to get around the short-comings of the old version. XRT2 (or “Telegraf” as I’ve started to call it) rocks a big fat one all over XRT1’s candy-ass.

I do agree there’s no point in 3 people releasing 3 different versions of what will be basically the same thing. I think this might be a good time for a developer to step in and tell us what their plan for XML-RPC in textpattern is.

#29 2005-08-26 14:19:17

Anark

Once upon a roadmap, it said that native XML-RPC support was scheduled for TxP 1.1…

#30 2005-08-26 15:49:11

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

Well, by virtue of Simon Willison’s excellent IXR library, XML/RPC already is in the core, it’s just a matter of tuning some functions to interact with Txp publishing events.

I certainly don’t want multiple versions of rpc support floating around, and I expect Pedro (just today back from yet another week lazing about on holiday) and Kurt will be able to pool their various projects into a nice unified core feature set.

text*

#31 2005-08-28 05:29:21

fncll
Website

Man, this has been “in the can” for a while— can’t wait to stop looking forward to it :)

Dammit Jim, I’m a poet, not a programmer…
Joined the TXP Obsessed 2/25/04: http://www.chrislott.org/

#32 2005-09-03 18:50:38

pidge

Hi,

I am a newbie to TextPattern. I wanted to see if our Wintel client editor application can post to TP 4.0 with Kurt’s xmlrpcs.php plug-in.

So, I have a couple of questions wrt to this plug-in:

1) If the client application is sending formatted html (as opposed to texttile), is it possible to for the post content sent via xml-rpc to accept it the without applying texttile (TextTileThis) . (I have already set ‘Leave text untouched’ in the admin console).

2) The post date is always set to current time (in the xmlrpc php) – is this as designed ? (BlogHarbor.com for example, by design, does not allow the post time to be changed via xml-rpc).

Thanks, – pidge

#33 2005-09-04 02:31:36

KurtRaschke
Plugin Author

If the client application is sending formatted html (as opposed to texttile), is it possible to for the post content sent via xml-rpc to accept it the without applying texttile (TextTileThis) . (I have already set ‘Leave text untouched’ in the admin console).

Sure, it’s theoretically possible; the code for that hasn’t been written yet. Also bear in mind that not every XML-RPC weblog API provides an option to set text filters. In fact, I am fairly sure that the MT API is the only API which offers that functionality.

The post date is always set to current time (in the xmlrpc php) – is this as designed ? (BlogHarbor.com for example, by design, does not allow the post time to be changed via xml-rpc).

This is as designed. As with the point above, some APIs don’t even have a field for the post time, but for those that do, it’s presently ignored.

Of course, patches to resolve either of these issues will be accepted.

-Kurt

kurt@kurtraschke.com

#34 2005-09-07 01:28:39

iioshius
Archived Plugin Author
Website

This doesn’t seem to be working for me on Mac OS X. From both Ecto and MarsEdit, I get an error when trying to download the list of posts. The error reads:

getRecentPosts() error: couldn’t retrieve list of recent posts.

I’m using the latest version of Textpattern, with your php file installed into the textpattern directory as per the instructions.

Any ideas?

#35 2005-09-07 10:17:59

gaijin
Website

same here. i’ve been unable to access my posts using mars edit or ecto. ecto displays my category list but returns an error when each category is clicked.

i followed the instructions and uploaded the file to my /textpattern folder.

i am using tp 4.0.1.

thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

Board footer