Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2004-04-16 09:34:26

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

Re: Posts Via Email

I’m sitting on about 60 gigs of unused prepaid bandwidth every month, so that’s not so much a concern.

And yes, as long as I can get text (as some sort of well-formed email template), parsing it into an xml/rpc call is a doddle.

V. – I’d be grateful to see what you’ve got.

text*

#14 2004-04-16 09:53:42

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

Something else I have on the go: an Applescript that snarfs up whatever text is in the current window of whatever application you’re in, and posts it to a Txp site via xml/rpc.

If that application happens to be Microsoft Word, the script musters up enough Visual Basic to export the current document as Word HTML (and all that implies), then fires it off to textism.com/wordcleaner for tidying up, then posts it to a Txp site. All in about two seconds.

Onward to days of brightness and glory.

text*

#15 2004-04-18 00:04:07

V.
Website

I have placed some potentially useful things at:

http://www.well.com/~bug/

At that address is a remarkably dull page with three links:

1. pop3-to-MT.text — This is a bit of Perl that will pop your mail looking for a message with a subject line that should look something like this:

Subject: #This is a title

If it finds such a thing, It will build a an entry and shuffle it off to the configured xml-rpc endpoint and the message is deleted.

Any message without a subject line begining with the pound sign will be ignored by the script and left in the queue for you to retrieve with your email program. As it should.

2. pop3toMT-doc.text — this is a document instructing a non-privilaged user in how to acquire Perl modules (two are requred) and install them. Ideally, these should be installed by the root user but that is not always possible.

3. blogpymail — this is my unfortunately named foray into doing the above in the Python language, using a blogger api module.

The first two have a .text file ending for reasons that escape me. I’m sure they were good reasons at the time. The perl script has more blabber than code. It is rather solid and should work, provided the two common modules (listed in the script) are in place.

I think the Perl bit is most appropriate to the uses discused here. What needs to be done is for some sort of authentication to be put in place. As it stands, it is simply a proof-of-concept affair. One evening someone informed me that I couldn’t do it.

“My next desire is, void of care and strife, To lead
a soft, secure, inglorious life.”
—John Dryden by way of Virgil, sans line breaks.

#16 2004-04-18 00:11:57

V.
Website

Oh, and yes. It is dreadfully important that the email destined to be a post be composed and delivered in plain text. RTF and HTML don’t seem to play well with xml-rpc, forming a bitter tag soup enroute.

The above statement is MT specific, as that has been my only experience with the script.

Dean – Does TXP use the metaweblog api? If so, there should be little trouble. The ‘mt’ object can be renamed ‘txp’ for cosmetic reasons.

“My next desire is, void of care and strife, To lead
a soft, secure, inglorious life.”
—John Dryden by way of Virgil, sans line breaks.

#17 2004-04-30 19:27:12

Zarabadoo
Website

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but in my search for how to make a moblog for myself (a blog based around pictures from a camera phone), i thought of this. technically they go hand in hand.

beings i am learning to be a PHP/MySQL amatuer, i needed refernce on how things were done. i was mainly looking around for places that had scarps of code available to show me how to check the e-mail and then parse it. my first find was EasyMoblog. I installed it to see how it functioned and weather it would be viable for a plugin. seemed to be a bit too bloated to be used as a plugin and figured it would be easier to try building from the ground up.

so i started looking through the code and found a couple premade include files in one of the directories. looking at them, i found they were originally from here and here. to me they seem like one really good start to making such a plugin possible.I am sure some of you would know better than me though.

also, has anyone considered using a cron job referencing a PHP file to pull the e-mail? that is how the previously mentioned program does it.

anyway, i am not sure if anyone is already plugging away at this, but if you think it would be simple enough for a newbie as myself to stumble through, i may give it a go.

—Al “Zarabadoo” Steffen
http://www.zarabadoo.com

#18 2004-04-30 21:16:24

jason
Website

dean’s plugging away at it.

easiest way to do it: .forward files allow you to pass emails to a script.

#19 2004-04-30 21:32:21

Zarabadoo
Website

good to know. very good to know.

will come in handy for september’s plans.

—Al “Zarabadoo” Steffen
http://www.zarabadoo.com

#20 2004-05-02 16:05:01

spyke
Website

This would be GREAT!

Personally, I can live without lots of bells and whistles on my site if I could get some sort of mobile blogging going on, either by email or whatever.

In a couple weeks I’ll be starting my new job as a taxi driver, working 60+ hours a week on the night shift from 6pm-6am, many of those hours will problably spent at the train station waiting for customers, and yup – I’ll be blogging with my PALM. Would be great to be able to do this via email, just for pure convenience reasons. =)

#21 2004-07-16 15:40:30

animoller

Did anything happen with a plugin for moblogging? I have an MMS phone and I would love to be able to send pictures taken with my cellphone to an email address that posts through Textpattern.

#22 2004-09-28 18:18:27

noahsager

> animoller wrote:

> Did anything happen with a plugin for moblogging? I have an MMS phone and I would love to be able to send pictures taken with my cellphone to an email address that posts through Textpattern.

THE Ani Moller? Cool. I’ve been following your blog for years!

I also have been awaiting moblog abilities in Textpattern. My whole site redesign is kinda on hold until I know if I have to switch away from TP or not since I’m getting a T610 in the next couple days.

Last edited by noahsager (2004-09-28 18:19:39)

#23 2004-10-04 02:22:11

Baseline_Benny
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’d like to know if it’s possible as well. It would allow on the spot news to be instantly available to the site visitors….

Ben.

Life is what you make it… if nothing changes, nothing changes.
Web hosting http://dynamicwebhosting.com.au/
Web dev & marketing http://wallishamilton.com/

#24 2004-11-07 20:47:57

fncll
Website

Any word on XML/RPC making it into TextPattern? It’s been in the can a long time :)

Dammit Jim, I’m a poet, not a programmer…
Joined the TXP Obsessed 2/25/04: http://www.chrislott.org/

Board footer