Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-01-13 08:21:19

Destry
Website

[wiki] Additional Wiki Use: Feature Requests and Work Groups

I’ve been talking with zem, at his initiation, about opening up the wiki (TextBook) for more than just user documentation. I think it is a worthy idea. The idea is to provide other community members who are working together on various TxP-related projects a place to draft ideas, share information (images, files, etc.), and so forth without creating yet another platform for such things or being restricted to just the Forum itself.

Two things that have come into discussion at this point are the strong ideas introduced in the “Feature Requests” forum and the various “Working Groups” that have started popping up, e.g., the Rights and Permissions Working Group.

We are moving forward with the Feature Requests now, which will simply begin as a “Feature Requests” page serving as an index to whatever people want to add from there.

I invite Working Groups to accept this platform as well, if you’re interested, let me know and we’ll get you set up. I’ll probably just do something similar; start a “Working Groups” page serving as an index that offshoots to whatever groups show up over time.

Should this go forward, I forsee a need to have more people serving as wiki sysops, essentially being wiki coordinators for their respective projects. For example, whomever is leading the Working Group efforts would take a sysop role in the wiki and provide new user accounts for anyone wanting in on that Work Group effort. This would help leverage that tedious responsibility between hakjoon and myself. After that, Work Groups could decide whatever they wanted for their projects.

I think another big advantage from this will be a broader wiki user base, and the potential to link up more documentation in the user docs as these newer activities ripen and produce stable material. A win-win for everybody.

Let me know if you like the idea, want to take advantage of it, etc.

EDIT: Starter links (intended for index pages) for Feature Requests and Working Groups are now added to the Official/Supporting Resources list under the first section of the TextBook main page.

#2 2006-01-14 00:43:45

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: [wiki] Additional Wiki Use: Feature Requests and Work Groups

I’ve added a few features here. That’s not exhaustive, just a starting point.

Alex

#3 2006-01-14 09:40:24

alexandra

I like the ‘Feature request’ list thought it would be great to add some explanations to the single keypoints. F. e. ‘improved navigation tags’ can be a lot. What exactly do ‘improved navigation tags’ referr to?

Last edited by alexandra (2006-01-14 09:41:16)

#4 2006-01-14 15:00:06

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

That’s what we are expecting the people to fill in, who are interested in those feature requests. It’s meant as a way for the people requesting features to communicate with each other, and with us, not the other way around, at least primarily, we’ll see where it goes. :) (At least that’s how I understood it).

#5 2006-01-14 23:11:20

zem
Developer Emeritus

Right – people are always complaining that it’s too hard to create section and category menus. So, show us what the tags should do.

Alex

#6 2006-01-14 23:38:09

Jeremie
Website

I’ve added a “plugin vs core” page (corrections welcomed), and the appropriate headers in the feature requests page. The main idea is not to bloat the gang of four with things they don’t have to.

By the way, Destry, New Wiki Use (?) is no subject for a forum thread. Apart from hard core forum users, it won’t be found and/or read with that name ;) You should lead by example :)

Last edited by Jeremie (2006-01-14 23:38:42)

#7 2006-01-16 10:17:13

Destry
Website

*_sigh_*

You should lead by example

Was that part, reeeeeally necesessary, Jeremie?

#8 2006-01-16 10:37:22

Jeremie
Website

Yes! You are a padawan in the Web 3.0 Crusade, slowly carrying the torch beside the Holy NeoKibo Avatar, you are an inspiration to all people, looking up in the search of the holy flame of knowledge, garbbing themself out of the dark ages of..

Ok, ok, I will take my medecine, I promise.

Last edited by Jeremie (2006-01-16 10:37:41)

Board footer