Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-11-08 20:35:32

december76
Website

Quotations and the q-tag

Hello.

It seems like Textile doesn’t support the q-tag for short inline quotes. Is it possible to add it to the Textile code by oneself and where do you make these changes? I tried adding it to the following fuction:

function fSpan($m) { $qtags = array( '*' => 'strong', '**' => 'b', '?' => 'q', <------ My addition '??' => 'cite', '_' => 'em', '__' => 'i', '-' => 'del', '%' => 'span', '+' => 'ins', '~' => 'sub' );

…but it doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Regards,
Joakim

#2 2005-11-08 22:01:44

ubernostrum
Website

Re: Quotations and the q-tag

Since Internet Explorer for Windows does not support the q element, it’s not particularly useful.

You cooin’ with my bird?

#3 2005-11-08 22:13:00

reid
Website

> ubernostrum wrote:

> Since Internet Explorer for Windows does not support the q element, it’s not particularly useful.

Well, it “supports” it, in that it recognizes it’s a valid tag and allows you to apply a style to it.

But, wrap quotation marks around the contained text like the spec dictates … not so much. And therefore, as you say, not particularly useful.

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#4 2005-11-09 08:22:36

december76
Website

Well, if I would try to build my life around IE it wouldn’t be worth living. You could always persuade IE to display q-content in italics as a second best. Hopefully IE7 will support the :before and :after pseudoclasses and thereby enable it to display curly quotes the same way Firefox and Opera do today.

#5 2005-11-09 14:48:21

december76
Website

Oh! I found the solution. Cheers, anyway.

/Joakim

#6 2005-11-09 19:52:37

Jeremie
Website

ubernostrum wrote:
Since Internet Explorer for Windows does not support the q element, it’s not particularly useful.

Don’t you meant “since no browser at all support the q element, it’s not particularly useful” ?

Even the “holy” Firefox get this bug for years now, fully documented and yet not fixed (do-able with advanced CSS however).

But then, when most browser will support the q tag, we will have to rewrite all of our web documents. Not nice.

As Textile does.. I don’t know. I pointed it several times during the last years, Dean never adressed this. I suspect this may have something to do with <q> being pretty simple and fast to type, and Textile not meant as a full HTML replacement markup language.

Board footer