Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-10-07 22:20:05

cbeyls
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] cbs_category_list

I’m here to answer about the plugin, not CSS issues ;)
I can give you a tip anyway: try using a:link, a:active, a:hover and a:visited when you need multiple states, not “a” itself excepted if it’s styled the same way in all states. I’ve seen you don’t mention a:link but “a” alone for #left a, this is rather strange.

However the a:active styling is not sufficient to indicate the current category, for example with multipages. I’ll add the feature you requested to style the active category differently.

For the nested categories display, I don’t see yet a way to do it simply. I don’t want to bloat the plugin because of an extra feature. However, I’ll investigate that and tell you later if it’s possible or not. I’m also working on a new fun plugin that still requires some testing and tweaking.

Last edited by cbeyls (2005-10-07 22:22:08)

My plugins : cbs_live_search (improved) – cbs_category_list – cbs_navigation_menu – cbs_gravatar (updated) – cbs_article_index – cbs_maintenance_mode (new) – cbs_section_language (new)

#14 2005-10-07 23:40:44

trailgirl
Website

jstubbs, this is working here In case that gives you some ideas. cbeyls, terrific plugin, thank you.

#sidebar-1 .cbs_category_list { padding-left: 5px; font-weight: normal; color: #999999; background: #ffffff; font-size: 0.7em; line-height: 1.3em; text-align: left;
}

#sidebar-1 .cbs_category_list a:link { color: #8c3131;
}

#sidebar-1 .cbs_category_list a:visited { color: #8c3131;
}

#sidebar-1 .cbs_category_list a:hover { color: #ffffff; background: #8c3131;
}

#sidebar-1 .cbs_category_list a:active { background: #d2ba96;
}

#15 2005-10-08 08:34:34

jstubbs
Website

Hi trailgirl and thanks for your help. What you have is pretty much what I have and the a:active state does not style differently. I guess cbeyls is correct about the “multipages”. Nice site by the way trailgirl, good luck with that its a good cause.

cbeyls, thanks for the response and sorry to post about CSS! It is relevant to the usage of the plugin though, since most of your users will come across issues like this.

I will wait for you to add the styling to the plugin, which really is a BIG help for TXP users! Thanks again.

#16 2005-10-08 20:59:18

Infi

Great plugin. Best feature: It actually displays the title you gave the category, rather than the one created and stored in the database. Yay! No more dashes in your menu… or whatever. Now if I could just find one to do that for “Filed under”….

I’ll have to get the new verion, I suppose, but am very happy with 0.2. “The more they overwork the plumbin’…” and all that, you know. ;)

#17 2005-10-09 20:25:58

cbeyls
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Infi, what do you mean by “filed under” ? You mean <code><txp:category1 /></code> and <code><txp:category2 /></code> ?

And no, you don’t need to upgrade unless you need the new feature. The code has just been a little bit refactored to fit well the new features but is not slower.

Last edited by cbeyls (2005-10-09 20:31:19)

My plugins : cbs_live_search (improved) – cbs_category_list – cbs_navigation_menu – cbs_gravatar (updated) – cbs_article_index – cbs_maintenance_mode (new) – cbs_section_language (new)

#18 2005-10-09 21:01:10

Infi

1. Yes. The TXP tag displays the faux directory name. (There’s a solution, I just haven’t located it yet.)

2. Sections that are set not to appear on the home page are not included in the cbs_category_list. There appears to be no way to remedy that. Could the section attribute perhaps accept more than one spec?

#19 2005-10-11 00:19:31

nardo

infi, re: #2 – I can’t seem to replicate that … on a 4.0.1 install with section set not to appear on front page – when in that section, category list works fine…

cbeyls – could you add an attribute for clean urls in the form /section/category – rather than /section/?c=category … ?

#20 2005-10-11 01:06:38

Infi

Re: #2… What I get (when no section attribute is set) is a list of categories for the current section and any sections(s) established as front page material. Categories for TXP sections set not to appear on the front page are not shown on the front page, but only the section(s) in question.

I bet that was about as clear as mud. :\

Help text does say it’s section-sensitive. Actually setting a section attribute (default, for example) shows categories from that section everywhere, regardless. Unable to enter more than one section attribute, however, the hidden sections’ categories are never listed, unless one is actually in that section. (And now, it’s Mississippi mud, I’m sure.)

What I was hoping for is a multiple section attribute so that I might list all sections’ categories (front page or no) as a menu to carry site-wide. I’m misunderstanding something, no doubt, and continue to fiddle, which has been quite fun, actually. _

Last edited by Infi (2005-10-11 01:09:23)

#21 2005-10-11 01:36:13

nardo

rss_suparchive_bycat might do what you want… set the ‘showcatsonly’ attribute on; as you say, this plugin’s aim is to be section-sensitive

second feature request for cbeyls — if you’re on a category list, could a class (like ‘active-cat’) be added to the relevant category list item?

so it can be styled differently, as you’re on that page

dank u wel

#22 2005-10-11 01:39:11

Infi

The unfortunate drawback to that, though, is that I get the “clean URL” wording stored rather than the title I gave it, which means… instead of Web/Info Design, I get Info-Design. Bleech. :D

But, as I say, I’ll keep fiddling. I have cbs, stw_category_tree and rss_superarchive_bycat now. One of them is bound to do what I want. lol

#23 2005-10-11 01:41:59

nardo

yeah that’s what I’ve been finding when going down the category road for static site design — I go round in circles

Last edited by nardo (2005-10-11 01:42:47)

#24 2005-10-12 20:28:17

cbeyls
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Infi,

1. Displaying the actual title instead of the category name for <code><txp:category1 /></code> and <code><txp:category2 /></code> can be done simply by setting the <code>title=1</code> attribute, as you can see in Textbook.
  1. The aim of this plugin is to display categories related to a section. By default it’s section-sensitive but you can force the section using the <code>section</code> attribute. If you want to display all categories of all sections, just use the default section plugin provided with Textpattern, <code><txp:category_list /></code>. Of course it’s not perfect because it doesn’t provide the possibility to display the category titles instead of names, but I hope it will be fixed in a new release of Textpattern. The aim of my plugin is not to replace the default one, it’s just complementary. Or maybe I didn’t understand your question.

Last edited by cbeyls (2005-10-12 20:46:54)

Board footer