Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2005-09-09 23:08:08

jonhicks
Website

Re: Txp Admin Facelift

> mary wrote: “It’s not me, I totally wanted to keep them, it was their idea…” shifty eyes

ha! ;o)

Cheers,
Jon VC#9

#74 2005-09-10 00:39:37

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

> mary wrote:

“It’s not me, I totally wanted to keep them, it was their idea…” shifty eyes

O :^_)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#75 2005-10-04 07:34:00

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Maybe breathing some new life in this thread -

One issue with the yellow tabs that hasn’t been mentioned: the fixed size doesn’t match when some other languages are used. Here is a screenshot using Japanese.
They probably break as well for many languages when a bigger font-size is used

(the current default is set to 10px for those tabs, which is very small for many people).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#76 2005-10-05 02:54:21

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I have been working on this, though I haven’t posted for a month. Try #9 is available to view.

If any advanced users want to have a copy of the modified/created files to offer other suggestions, as well as try it out to see how it feels (looking at just a static image is difficult to judge, I know), email me and I’ll either email you a zip of the files for you to drop in or give you an address where you can download it – your choice, let me know when you contact me.

I really don’t want to just offer it for download for anyone and everyone, because of this being experimental and evolving, I don’t want to get stuck having to support this in any fashion for this reason. :)

#77 2005-10-05 16:37:40

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Love those un-tabs! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#78 2005-10-11 06:24:29

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

A minor update based on some of the recent feedback.

#79 2005-10-11 08:10:58

Destry
Website

I opened your latest and compared it to a write panel of an current install by quickly moving back and forth between them to get a sense of the overall changes. It seems the more design permutations there have been, the more the design changes return to the original thing (though not exactly), and I think this is a good thing, Mary, because it means you (with the communities feedback) have really cut out the unnecessary changes and only added in the subtle ones that really count (for example; site name in the header, the simplification of the primary tabs, the repositioning of the text view options, etc.).

Personally, I think if you stopped right now, it would be a good thing (and probably a relief to you). The changes are significant yet modest enough to be a very good candidate for TxP 4.1 (or perhaps even 4.0.2). Let that run it’s course and then who know what the future holds.

A job well done, I say.

#80 2005-10-11 11:28:49

andreas
Website

I agree. What I like especially is that you have grouped the button sets together (e.h. Sort and display etc.)

One thing that is not visible under the open Goto menu: are there 3 buttons for the 3 display modes? Judging from the width it could be only two which I think is not a good idea since it would mean that one of them would have to change its value depending on the current display mode. I thing it’s better to have three with the current one being inactive and grayed out.

That aside, I’d be happy to run the TXP admin interface the “mary way”.

If it made it into 4.0.2 — all the better.

Last edited by andreas (2005-10-11 11:30:46)

#81 2005-10-11 13:19:16

marco

none

Last edited by marco (2005-10-23 02:04:32)

#82 2005-10-12 06:32:22

Jeff_K
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just a few thoughts from a relative newcomer (but ardent supporter) of the Textpattern community..

From a usability standpoint, I find the textpattern interface (4.0) to be very well done. It was very easy to become comfortable with, is pretty effortless to use. That said, I do think that it lacks visual polish. A few things I find rather clumsy: the row of tabs, one above the other, often seems more like a running list, then a hierarchical menu. It seems that some of Mary’s comps have addressed this issue. Also, while I know that the three “text” “html” “preview” sub tabs are there, I always forget to use them. I don’t find them very visually prominent, or intuitively placed. Finally, the size of the input area is a real concern (and has, I know, been addressed by a few plugins). Also, and not to nitpick, but it always feels a bit strange struggling to get a site up to W3C XHTML standards within a site that is structured entirely with tables.

Thanks (everyone) for all the effort in this project (and the ability to engage in an open discussion about its progress).

#83 2005-10-12 08:45:44

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

> “I thing it’s better to have three with the current one being inactive and grayed out.”

Indeed.

> “That aside, I’d be happy to run the TXP admin interface the ‘mary way’.”

LOL.

> “As long as we are on the topic of admin interface redesign, here’s a nice one:”

Very.

> “…not to nitpick, but it always feels a bit strange struggling to get a site up to W3C XHTML standards within a site that is structured entirely with tables.”

Tables are everywhere in it, which I wouldn’t want to try and get rid of all at once. I can tell you that the header and footer of my changes are table-free.

Another update is viewable, this time 4 screen shots so you can hopefully get a greater view of how it would look.

#84 2005-10-12 14:22:24

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

These are excellent Mary but would you like to know which little bit I really, really, REALLY LIKE?

As for the use of tables I think they are used correctly within the admin. This weird idea that somehow we should avoid ALL tables at any cost is a bad interpretation of the standards.

Last edited by thebombsite (2005-10-12 14:25:43)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

Board footer