Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2004-11-25 03:20:03

alicson
Website

request: asy_category tag meets mdn_count

The current asy_category_list plugin is beautiful wonderful good. So is the new mdn_count.

The first one outputs a beautiful section-sensitive category list.. and only outputs those categories that have an article in them. mdn_count can count up all the articles in a section or category, and nicely print the number for you.

Wouldn’t the world be an even more wondrous place if there were a plugin that could output that intelligent, section-sensitive and filled/notfilled-aware category list, WITH the count of how many articles are in that category within that section, next to each category on the list?

Hmm..writing this request was complicated enough… I’m sure I’m asking way much… but it could happen, right?
Well, it’s an idea, anyway… ;)

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#2 2004-11-25 16:12:42

humanoid

Re: request: asy_category tag meets mdn_count

exactly – I agree and will try to hack it together.

It will take a long time however, because I have hardly any php knowledge and are pretty new to txp

If someone who is a bit more experienced then me wants to take up the challenge, that would be great!

#3 2005-02-21 00:09:26

santheo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: request: asy_category tag meets mdn_count

I’m not too familiar with asy_category_list, but I just updated my plug-in, <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=2252”>stw_category_tree</a>, to support the listing of article counts, and it might be of some use to you. The plug-in uses <ul> tags to create a hierarchical list of all categories on your site, though you can manipulate it through the attributes to limit which categories it outputs.

For instance, with the start property, you can tell the plug-in to only list categories beneath a particular node. In your case, it sounds like you’d want to use the start=”*s” syntax, which only shows the categories listed beneath the category whose name matches the name of the current section.

Anyway, take a look and give it a shot. The discussion thread is at:
http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=2252

Board footer