Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-04-30 15:45:37

bici
Website Mastodon

The Disenshittify Project

While the enshittification of the Web (and beyond) might seem far greater than any individual can even make the slightest dent in–you, we, can deshittify the Web one small piece at a time. Something you like or use or do that’s become enshittified? Disenshittify it.

The Disenshittify Manifesto

…. texted postive

#2 2024-04-30 17:11:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: The Disenshittify Project

Funnily enough, I hit the QR code thing last week exactly as he described. We wanted to print 4 barcodes out to save us manually typing something at work. Every ‘free’ service I’ve used in the past or the ones that came up in search results required sign up or payment or generated links that had tracking in or didn’t work until you’d jumped through a bunch of hoops or had watermarks threaded through them.

We ended up creating each one, screenshotting it and using snipping tool to cut it out then paste all 4 into Wordpad to print off. What a palava!

So, yeah, this movement gets my vote big time.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2024-05-01 15:47:15

jakob
Admin
Website

Yeah, this …

It’s a three-stage process: first, platforms are good to their users. Then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers. Finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, there is a fourth stage: they die.

.. happens all too often.

FWIW, you can create a QR code

• using the share button in Brave (but it has little lion in the middle)
  • on the Mac, you can use a shortcut action. Plenty of videos on how to do that online.
  • In Adobe Indesign (YT video) if you use that. Affinity doesn’t seem to have that (yet). This is a vector graphic.
  • Adobe has made the qr-code generator into a separate web app.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2024-05-01 15:57:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

All good options, thanks. Sadly, at the time I wanted the QR code (well, actually just a regular inline or 2D barcode would have done) I was in the middle of a warehouse with an ancient corporate PC my only tool to hand, Microsoft Edge and WordPad the only apps installed on it, and most of the PC features locked down by IT.

Needed a web page to create a code and a way to download it for free to add to a text doc for printing and laminating. Thwarted by enshittification.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2024-05-06 15:39:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #337128:

Funnily enough, I hit the QR code thing last week exactly as he described.

qr.8-bit.jp

Best I’ve found.

Board footer