Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-09-06 15:41:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

RFC: comments on deleted articles

Since 2006, comments associated with deleted articles are marked as having their parent article deleted and are left otherwise as-is.

A new article will not ‘adopt’ comments from a deleted article. When an article is deleted, the ID associated with it is effectively spent. It cannot be reused on a new article without changing the Textpattern database manually.

If you think about your own Textpattern workflow, especially if you use comments widely / extensively, are there any practical reasons to keep comments for deleted articles?

Thanks for your feedback.

#2 2018-09-06 17:19:55

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: RFC: comments on deleted articles

gaekwad wrote #313872:

Since 2006, comments associated with deleted articles are marked as having their parent article deleted and are left otherwise as-is.

A new article will not ‘adopt’ comments from a deleted article. When an article is deleted, the ID associated with it is effectively spent. It cannot be reused on a new article without changing the Textpattern database manually.

I do not use comments, but for those who do, wouldn’t this be the place for a good plugin which would assist in the migration of those orphaned comments to a new foster parent, article id?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2018-09-06 20:04:12

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #313879:

I do not use comments, but for those who do, wouldn’t this be the place for a good plugin which would assist in the migration of those orphaned comments to a new foster parent, article id?

I don’t use comments, either – but thinking as a comment author if my comment on article 123 became attached to article 234, that presents all kinds of issues: relevance, context, and the like.

#4 2018-09-06 20:26:13

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

The only (for me) possible reason to keep orphaned comments was “banned for” link few versions ago. But we do not ban commenters anymore.

#5 2018-09-06 21:03:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #313882:

The only (for me) possible reason to keep orphaned comments was “banned for” link few versions ago.

Ah yes, that would be a valid use case pre-4.6.0. Guess we removed the need for that when we ditched IP banning. I’m fine with just enforcing “kill associated comments when an article is deleted” if nobody else chimes in with a good reason to keep orphan comments.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2018-09-06 22:29:18

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #313880:

I don’t use comments, either – but thinking as a comment author if my comment on article 123 became attached to article 234, that presents all kinds of issues: relevance, context, and the like.

This. +100.

I absolutely don’t see the point of “moving” a comment from one article to another. Deleting an article should delete the associated comments.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer