Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-02-04 22:43:57

TracyRe

Not receiving password reset emails

I have an installation of Textpattern 4.6.2 on DreamHost. I cannot get forgotten password emails. I do get account activation emails. I have configured:
  • SMTP envelope sender address with an email for my site’s domain
  • Email address to send login details from, using a Gmail address
  • ISO-8859-1 is off
  • XMP-RPC server is off
  • On the DreamHost domain management, I set an SPF value for the domain that should cover DreamHost and Google

#2 2018-02-05 01:45:49

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Not receiving password reset emails

i seem to recall problems with web forms sending to gmail accounts.

also see this

edited to add this

Last edited by bici (2018-02-05 01:48:46)

…. texted postive

#3 2018-02-05 16:26:17

jakob
Admin
Website

Have you tried without any details in the SMTP envelope and email fields? To discount Gmail as a contributing factor, you could also try with an alternative email belonging to the domain.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2018-02-06 03:14:24

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Like Jacob, I would recommend using an email address directly associated with that domain. On Dreamhost I have no problems with that setup (and nowadays, I use a dedicated email address for that).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#5 2018-02-06 06:00:14

bici
Website Mastodon

i just checked out this issue on Webfaction. It may provide some information for you:
————————————————————————————————————-
Our SMTP server will not let you send a message using common webmail domains as the sender address. This is documented in our user guide: Email Storage and Email Limits:

Using WebFaction’s SMTP server, you may not send email with a sender address domain used by common email providers, including aol.com, gmail.com, hotmail.com, outlook.com, and yahoo.com. To send messages from such providers’ addresses, please use the provider’s SMTP server. All outgoing mail with such a sender address domain is discarded unsent.

So, if someone enters a gmail address on your form, and your form tries to send the message using that as the “from” address, then it will fail.

Additionally, looking through our mail logs, it looks like your form might be sending certain messages using “FormMail@domain.com” (with your actual domain of course) as the sender. Those messages will not make it to your “contactus@domain.com” address, because you haven’t defined “FormMail@domain.com” as an address in our control panel.

I hope this helps – Please let us know if you have any further questions.

…. texted postive

#6 2018-02-06 11:20:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

There’s an issue open to explore other options of email sending, seeing as this is becoming more common (anecdotally within my clients, anyway): github.com/textpattern/textpattern/issues/1133

#7 2018-02-06 15:18:32

TracyRe

Thanks for all the advice. Gmail turned out to be the culprit. When I changed the SMTP envelope and email address to send login details from to the same domain as my website, I received password reset emails. It took awhile to receive the password reset email at a Gmail address, but I did get it.

I learned that if I want to use Gmail to send emails from my Textpattern installation, I would need to set the MX for the domain on DreamHost specifically to use Google Apps.

#8 2018-02-07 15:09:38

TracyRe

I’m still having problems with receiving password reset emails sent to a Hotmail address. I changed the SMTP envelope and address field to the website domain, not a Gmail address. and I have SPF set. When I resend an activation link for a user with a Hotmail address I get a bounceback email that the email was rejected – I’ve forwarded that to DreamHost technical support. For a password reset for a user with a Hotmail address I get nothing. Still waiting to hear from DreamHost technical support.

The state of my world at the moment. Just testing the different options.

Board footer