Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-12-21 21:44:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Anyone on GoDaddy IIS?

I have a site that I’ve developed on a staging server (Apache) that needs migrating to a GoDaddy (IIS) environment. I have:

• A login to the GoDaddy control panel. Looks like the guy is using Economy Hosting.
  • Set up a MySQL 5.5 DB and imported the Txp database from my staging server (and have changed the file paths in the prefs table correctly… I think… see below).
  • Uploaded the Txp 4.6.2 site files, images, etc.
  • Enabled PHP 5.4 from the control panel (there’s also a setting for ASP.net, which I’ve left at ASP.NET 2.0/3.0/3.5. Not sure if that matters).

The domain was active before and hosting static files via index.html. Now I want it to run index.php instead, but all I’m getting is a 500 server error: both front-side and admin-side. Presumably the .htaccess file is useless under IIS?

I’ve set up config.php manually and have set the path up using double-backslashes because it’s a Windows-style path. Is that right? So that line reads:

$txpcfg['txpath'] = 'D:\\Hosting\\11111111\\html\\textpattern';

I tried single backslashes too: no change. I can’t find anywhere in the control panel to set up the order of processing files (e.g. index.php index.html) like I would with Apache. This site mentions a web.config file, but I can’t find it, nor know where it should reside.

Anyone got any experience with setting Txp up on GoDaddy that might give me some clues on where to start digging to get the site running?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bloke (2016-12-21 21:57:55)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2016-12-22 11:26:37

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Anyone on GoDaddy IIS?

This might be helpful re: .htaccess: www.iis.net/learn/application-frameworks/install-and-configure-php-applications-on-iis/translate-htaccess-content-to-iis-webconfig

My memory is hazy, but IIRC web.config lives where .htaccess does – it’s effectively a rewritten ruleset.

I can’t help with the config.php, alas. It’s been a while since I used IIS, though I’ll spin up a VM for old time’s sake. Any ideas on IIS version so I can match it?

#3 2016-12-22 12:07:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #303367:

This might be helpful re: .htaccess

Aha, okay, thank you. That’ll certainly help when it comes to getting Txp working. But I just stumbled upon some other things which might be more fundamental.

Firstly, you’re right that web.config sits in docroot. And it seems to work. I made this to see if I could get better results out than just a generic ‘500’:

<configuration>
   <system.webServer>
      <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed"/>
      <defaultDocument enabled="true">
         <files>
            <add value="index.php" />
         </files>
      </defaultDocument>
   </system.webServer>
</configuration>

Looking at the page source after that reveals:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mysqli_init() in D:\path\to\txplib_db.php on line 201

A snag, for sure. Firing up phpinfo.php reveals that the server is configured with mysqlnd, but no mention of mysqli. Can’t fathom whether msqlnd is just a driver that contains mysql, mysqli and PDO implementations, or if phpinfo needs to explicitly mention mysqli. Documentation’s a bit obtuse.

Either way, my next avenue was to try and fix it myself. Some resources say that extensions can be manually loaded by creating a php.ini or php5.ini in docroot which will override / augment the default php.ini settings. So far, it’s not bearing fruit even after recycling the application pool (a.k.a. restarting services).

Maybe it needs a call to customer services to turn stuff on, but I can’t see GoDaddy being so backwards as to not enable mysqli by default since it’s bundled with PHP, so it must be something I’m doing wrong… right?

It’s IIS 7.0 according to the control panel, btw. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#4 2016-12-22 12:10:14

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I’m building a Windows 2008 R2 + IIS 7.0 VM right now. Currently applying the updates. Will report back.

#5 2016-12-23 18:25:41

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I’m not getting very far with this, sadly. IIS is a horrible web server.

#6 2017-01-05 09:45:36

Algaris

shudder This brings back memories from when I had to develop a calendar site (with a good deal of assistance from Stef) on an IIS sever. I’m never using IIS again if I can help it.

#7 2017-01-05 14:20:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Algaris wrote #303487:

shudder This brings back memories from when I had to develop a calendar site (with a good deal of assistance from Stef) on an IIS sever. I’m never using IIS again if I can help it.

Hehe, I remember that.

By way of an update, neither Pete nor I got anywhere. I bit the bullet and contacted GoDaddy support to ask them to turn on mysqli support. The guy recommended switching to Linux Hosting :-)

Seriously.

Board footer