Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-03-09 21:57:45

alesh
Website

Rename a section?

I have a section named Events (title: Events). I want to rename this to “Fundraisers”, and keep all existing articles and functionality the same. Possible?

Next I want to create a new section called “Events” which I will begin adding articles to. (Later I will create functionality that does things with posts from both sections.)

Is this advisable? Any pitfalls I should be aware of before proceeding?

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#2 2016-03-09 22:09:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Rename a section?

alesh wrote #298199:

I have a section named Events (title: Events). I want to rename this to “Fundraisers”, and keep all existing articles and functionality the same. Possible?

Sure. Just edit the section Name/Title in the Presentation->Sections panel. If you edit the name, though, any search engine cached results will 404 so you should put a 301 redirect in place alongside it.

Next I want to create a new section called “Events” which I will begin adding articles to.

Same thing: you can call it what you like, but previously cached search engine results for the ‘old’ URL with the old section name will fail or get confused by the change in name.

If you don’t want to redirect (and don’t mind a bit of confusion), just tweak your Section titles like this:

• name: events / title: Fundraisers
  • name: articles / title: Events

At least that way, your search engine links remain. There’ll just be a visual disparity between the URL and the Section title displayed on the page.

Note that under 4.6.0, the admin interface uses Section Titles everywhere so that would cause less confusion for administrators. For 4.5.x, there’s a plugin (by Jukka I think? rah_section_titles maybe?) that does the same thing.

Hope that helps.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2016-03-09 22:31:02

alesh
Website

Ahh, perfect. So happens that neither of these sections have a homepage with an article list (other sections pull from them) so I can literally just start hacking away and be happy.

Thanks!

#4 2016-03-22 17:59:21

alesh
Website

Just wanted to throw in a note here: I don’t think it’s just search engines —it’s also, anywhere I have <txp:if_section name="Event"> obvs. it will pick up the new section and not the old section.

I don’t believe there is a way to search all forms/pages/etc. for something like that?

#5 2016-03-22 18:06:13

GugUser

alesh wrote #298392:

I don’t believe there is a way to search all forms/pages/etc. for something like that?

adi_search_db

#6 2016-03-22 19:21:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

alesh wrote #298392:

Or smd_where_used.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer