Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-03-18 10:20:20

Destry
Website

Monoutil

MONOUTIL.fr

Phase one is online. This is the little shop project I mentioned a while back. Very simple build. I stood on the shoulders of Phil’s Hive theme (good stuff, Phil) to get it together quickly. Store is just standard PayPal buttons. Nothing fancy. Only plugin used at this point is rvm_maintenance, which is a great plugin/solution to show dev work when all you can give your client is a production location. ;)

To dos:

• Still figuring out what to do with the sidebar in the A propos section. I’ll probably just run two or three extra example photos down that to fill it out and show more ideas of use.
  • There will be some testimonials coming later, probably a new page that centralizes them, with some testies pock marked into the A propos and Spec pages as pull quotes, or whatever.
  • Images need optimized for size/weight reduction.
  • Metadata needs work (his job, as part of his owner training after personalized user docs are finished)
  • Roll in English, making it multi-lingual.

Multilingual in core?

I thought I read somewhere that multilingual handling is coming to core. True? Would that be a 4.7 thing, possibly this year? If so, I’d hold off on trying to wrangle it now (and the additional questions I’d have in that respect).

PayPal shipping fees handling?

Right now the site owner is selling to France, and his PayPal profile is setup to handle the range of shipping costs automatically. But when the English goes into effect, He’ll need to account for two more and different shipping ranges (EU and greater international). PayPal only provides for one range of shipping costs, which doesn’t cover all the possibilities. We could use the geo range that has the highest rates, but that wouldn’t really be fare to the buyer. Any thoughts how to handle that?

As it is now, the wire buttons have shipping values added to the button code (because wire and tools have different weights), while the tools are using the shipping values set up as a range in his seller profile. So even this current situation seems hard to handle. We’ve been over it again and again and I just can’t get my head around the shipping conundrum.

Voila !

N.B.: The tool, btw, for those that don’t read French, is a wire clamping tool. I have a white one and it works great based on a few tests. A useful household handyman item. The concept is not original, for example, but his particular design is, which patented in France. The tool is more cost effective than what the competition is selling.

#2 2016-03-18 10:33:13

Destry
Website

Re: Monoutil

Thinking about this shipping fees puzzle…. It seems to me PayPal is designed to base shipping fees on total value of merchandise sold, not actual package weight. This must be true because there’s no account for “weight” in the PayPal shipping features, just fees for total merchandise sold.

If that’s true, then I could, feasibly, just let the shipping range handle the wire button products too, right? Because it would just be based on the total value of stuff bought, not how much it weighs. So maybe it’s setup wrong, currently? I have no clue which is trumping which: weight or value. The shipping ranges he got from the French Poste are based on weight, I think. So it’s a little confusing.

When the new geo ranges come into play, however, that’s a different perspective, altogether.

Board footer