Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2015-11-27 08:09:19

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Any Digital Ocean users?

tye wrote #296854:

So question for DigitalOcean users… do you use this hosting for Live websites or just for Development work?

Both.

Is the learning curve hard? Can you install (within reason) anything you like on the server, such as PageSpeed Module (not checked requirements, just wondering if you have this freedom)

There are lots of how-to docs, and you can do anything you like within the TOS agreement. Think new Linux/UNIX install with a public, dedicated IP and you’re on the right lines.

#50 2015-11-27 09:04:19

springworks
Website

If you’re looking at using Digital Ocean (or any VPS really), then I highly recommend that you look at using Serverpilot with Digital Ocean. Ignore the bit about it being for WordPress, it’s suitable for any PHP-based CMS.

It sets up a secure PHP stack that is managed for you, even on the free level. Step up to the $10/month level and you can very easily install SSL certificates, which has the benefit of using SPDY (i.e. Google’s Pagespeed module) by default.

It takes all the pain of server management and updates away and gives you an ultra clean control panel to load up your sites (apps in Serverpilot language). Think of it as a remotely managed, secure alternative to CPanel, that’s much, much nicer.

#51 2015-11-29 02:49:49

tye
Website

Thanks – more reading to do :)

#52 2015-11-29 07:41:52

jstubbs
Website

springworks wrote #296858:

If you’re looking at using Digital Ocean (or any VPS really), then I highly recommend that you look at using Serverpilot with Digital Ocean. Ignore the bit about it being for WordPress, it’s suitable for any PHP-based CMS.

It sets up a secure PHP stack that is managed for you, even on the free level. Step up to the $10/month level and you can very easily install SSL certificates, which has the benefit of using SPDY (i.e. Google’s Pagespeed module) by default.

It takes all the pain of server management and updates away and gives you an ultra clean control panel to load up your sites (apps in Serverpilot language). Think of it as a remotely managed, secure alternative to CPanel, that’s much, much nicer.

Had noticed ServerPilot before but not tried it. Just now created a droplet on DigitalOcean and then connected it to ServerPilot to test it out. Looks very good and I can see that this is an excellent option.

Currently using WebFaction happily but can see myself using ServerPilot also. It takes away the unattractive part of DigitalOcean – having to manage the server oneself.

#53 2015-12-26 17:24:26

Destry
Website

A question for you DO/ServerPilot users…

How many droplets (virtual servers) can you “spin up” with the $5/month plan?

I guess it depends on how big/busy a site/db is on a given droplet, but lets say you had 5 low-use sites (all with MySQL DBs) and one Discourse install (also with db), is that suitable for the $5/month?

Also, Textpattern needs to get itself listed here (and with other hosts offering similar features).

#54 2015-12-27 05:03:24

bici
Website Mastodon

Gandi has a new interface
check out beta.gandi.net, (which is being updated at this point about once a week).
i have one site with them. The rest with WF

…. texted postive

#55 2015-12-27 13:43:31

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

@Destry, from the Discourse FAQ

The server side of Discourse is Ruby on Rails backed by a Postgres database and Redis cache. You can deploy our standard Discourse Docker container on any virtualized cloud server (digital ocean, amazon ec2, rackspace, azure) with 1 GB RAM.

#56 2015-12-27 16:13:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #297190:

How many droplets (virtual servers) can you “spin up” with the $5/month plan?

A droplet (VPS) is priced at 5USD/month upwards. On that server, there’s no technical limit to how many sites you can run off it it, but the entry-level server will creak if you’re throwing a lot of stuff at it. That said, if you build on a 5USD box and it takes off, you can scale it up without rebuilding.

I guess it depends on how big/busy a site/db is on a given droplet, but lets say you had 5 low-use sites (all with MySQL DBs) and one Discourse install (also with db), is that suitable for the $5/month?

Anecdotally, yes, though a lot depends on your definition of low-use.

Also, Textpattern needs to get itself listed here (and with other hosts offering similar features).

One thing I’ve thought about being Very Useful© would be a level of automation in the setup routine, either via a script or some other method. That said, some hosts already do the Textpattern one-click thingy but the maintenance is sometimes a problem.

#57 2015-12-28 13:10:49

Destry
Website

ruud wrote #297193:

from the Discourse FAQ

I think what you’re pointing out is that if I want to use Discourse, I’d need the $10/month plan at minimum due to the 1GB memory requirement? (And that maybe I’d have to separately install those dependencies too?)

gaekwad wrote #297194:

A droplet (VPS) … On that server, there’s no technical limit to how many sites you can run off it it, but the entry-level server will creak if you’re throwing a lot of stuff at it.

I see. So if you don’t want to have to worry about micro-managing limits and capabilities of a handful of sites, then just go with the 10/month plan to begin with, eh?

bici wrote #297192:

Gandhi … WF

This thread is about Digital Ocean. ;)

#58 2015-12-28 17:31:12

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote #297197:

I think what you’re pointing out is that if I want to use Discourse, I’d need the $10/month plan at minimum due to the 1GB memory requirement?

Correct.

#59 2015-12-28 17:59:39

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #297197:

I think what you’re pointing out is that if I want to use Discourse, I’d need the $10/month plan at minimum due to the 1GB memory requirement? (And that maybe I’d have to separately install those dependencies too?)

I see. So if you don’t want to have to worry about micro-managing limits and capabilities of a handful of sites, then just go with the 10/month plan to begin with, eh?

This thread is about Digital Ocean. ;)

noted. but the others were mentioned and i piped in as usual ;-)

…. texted postive

#60 2015-12-29 09:50:44

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #297197:

So if you don’t want to have to worry about micro-managing limits and capabilities of a handful of sites, then just go with the 10/month plan to begin with, eh?

Yep. There’s room for movement if you set the server up with a swapfile, so if the RAM limit is reached and breached. This is an excellent primer.

Also, frankly, put a value on your time – if you can afford a few extra $$ and not worry about things redlining then it’s money well-spent, in my humble.

I currently have 5x droplets on DO. They range from 5USD to 20USD a month. I follow a process that I’ve streamlined over droplet ~50 build-and-nukes, so I recommend taking notes as you go to see what works for you.

Board footer