You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-05-01 15:57:01

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Wordpress/Textpattern mention

jonathantxp wrote #290331:

Also found quite a new TXP fan site

hot off the press indeed!

Just a few minutes ago the first public available version of the TXP Starter Blog theme was commited to Github. If you feel adventurous read on and find out more about the theme.

i’m planning on trying out the theme in the next couple of days. Thanks

…. texted postive

#14 2015-05-01 21:15:09

ax
Plugin Author

andreas wrote #290319:

With comments: I couldn’t find a solution for opt-in comment subscriptions that worked, something that is required by law in my country.

To my knowledge, there is no such law that requires opt-in for comment subscriptions in Germany, only regarding commercial emails, with the purpose of advertising or marketing (§7 UWG).

#15 2015-05-01 22:56:32

GugUser

When I started with Textpattern, and I found it not very easy at that time (it was seven years ago), some of Andreas articles were a great help for me, and often I had read about the other themes in his blog.

Today, I can understand partially his arguments, although I wouldn’t opt for a change to Wordpress. No, I don’t want to change the CMS not at all. And if I had to do it in the future anyway, I think I would opt for PW instead of WP – ProcessWire.

But, I like to work with Textpattern, I like Textile and don’t see what could bee better with Markdown. On the contrary, I don’t like Markdown, I “hate” things like #### instead of h4., it hurts me in the eyes, etc.

But on the other hand, the reality is that I would still write the same as described here. The months go by and I see little hope of a new version. And I feel uncomfortable, because I have no idea what I could contribute to the development, and because I don’t like my attitude of waiting that others do something. It seems that the other (the four official developer) find no time, have other priorities or are no longer interested in the project. I don’t know.

At the beginning of each new work with Textpattern I ask myself how durable it will be for the future. All the sites made by me depend strongly on plugins like glz_custom_fields, bot_write_tab_customize, many rah and smd pluins and sometimes stm_article_order. If I write “depend” I mean “depend”.

Some of these plug-ins are old and are no longer being developed. What will happen, if at all once the version 4.6 still appear? I don’t know. It seems to me that we know very little what is done or not done in the background. It seems to me that we have little information. What became of all the hard work that had done earlier Gocom? It seems to me that Gocom no longer works on Textpattern. Who has the knowledge and time and can take over this part? Why is not clearly communicated, who is still working on the project and who no longer?

I know that everything is voluntary and I have no right to demand anything. I know, only I describe how I perceive this.

Anyway, many thanks to all who have done something for this wonderful and unique Textpattern.

#16 2015-05-02 04:12:31

ax
Plugin Author

GugUser wrote #290346:

The months go by and I see little hope of a new version.

Isn’t Textpattern a mature product already, like the TEX typesetting system? It’s version numbers are approaching π, currently being 3.14159265.And yet there is some development going on with LaTeX macros, as well as with Textpattern’s plugins, but the basic system is stable. I like using software that is stable and does what is supposed to do, and does it very well.

#17 2015-05-02 04:39:17

candyman

I understand GugUser’s fears.
They are the same of ProVUE Panorama’s users: a great and powerful database system, without the bells and whistles of FileMaker (Wordpress) practically depending on an unique developer.
On the other hand I’m still hopeful. Users are few but they love TXP. This make the difference, according to me.
The reason we are still there, waiting for the 4.6 release (that, from the outside it seems that it won’t be revolutionary) should mean something.
On the other hand some TXP gurus seem unreplaceable. What about some collection of plugins if their author should switch to another platform? I’ll bet than others developers would adopt his creatures : the GitHub adoption of the last years I think will save us.

In the past I’ve thought about switching to WP too: I would have many possibilities more (for examples many more plugins to try out) but after many years, TXP it’s seem to me like a family :)

On the other hand usually I don’t recommend Textpattern to people who are looking for a simple CMS (like a don’t recommend a coupé to people who are looking for a practical car). I think you must be sure to make an “unpopular” choice.

Last edited by candyman (2015-05-02 05:29:22)

#18 2015-05-02 13:09:20

jonathantxp

The TXP starter theme is really a marvel. It is great that this developer has devoted his time to make a very modern theme for Textpattern. Here is a list of plug-ins on GitHub (probably well-known already).

The other replies also make me worry a bit about Textpattern’s future. There is not really any other viable alternative to the Mighty WordPress. I looked at DotClear and Serendipity; both are quite resource-hungry, even though they have active communities. Only Textpattern seems to get it right. Google PageSpeed Insights always complains about WP sites having server delays, which is something to avoid and another good reason to use TXP.

But look at PunBB, which was in a similar situation some years ago. It was forked into FluxBB and although no drastic improvements have been made, it has since picked up pace again with the prospect of 2.0 and joining forces with Flarum.

Unfortunately, I have limited knowledge of programming, but aren’t there companies interested in Textpattern’s codebase? Furthermore, I think Textpattern should market its Textile integration/distraction-free writing environment more. OS X apps like Ulysses, IA Writer and ByWord have shown how successful textile-type formatting can be. Textpattern is more of a writer’s tool than Wordpress and if you get the hang of it, it is far more efficient.

Last edited by jonathantxp (2015-05-02 13:50:01)

#19 2015-05-02 18:55:18

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I just want to interject here and say I’m still interested in developing Textpattern. It’s true I have been very busy with my day job recently but it won’t always be like that.

If others want to get involved in development they are very welcome to fork and provide patches on GitHub. The more the merrier.

#20 2015-05-02 20:01:46

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Likewise, my newish PHP/MySQL day job is sucking the fun out of coding in the same language for fun in the evenings. But every so often I sit down and hash out yet another implementation of Unlimited Custom Fields. Currently on iteration #4, because the others either didn’t scale well or were too complicated. Trying to strike the right balance between core and plugin functionality is peskier than I’d hoped.

As Phil says, anyone willing to jump on board and help out in any way shape or form is more than willing to raise their digital paw. Github’s an open platform.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#21 2015-05-02 20:36:09

GugUser

Bloke wrote #290384:

Likewise, my newish PHP/MySQL day job is sucking the fun out of coding in the same language for fun in the evenings.

This is easily comprehensible.

#22 2015-05-03 01:19:52

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #290384:

As Phil says, anyone willing to jump on board and help out in any way shape or form is more than willing to raise their digital paw. Github’s an open platform.

That may be one of the issues. It seems that there are few coders in this forum. … if any … that could pitch in.

There are plenty of new CMSes being developed by the truckload. And yet no developers have wanted to chip in and Extent and Develop Textpattern further. How do we get the knowledgable coders interested?

…. texted postive

#23 2015-05-03 01:24:37

bici
Website Mastodon

jonathantxp wrote #290374:

The TXP starter theme is really a marvel. It is great that this developer has devoted his time to make a very modern theme for Textpattern.

p.s i have not been able to install the theme. i may be dumb but there is no easy read.me with some instructions.

…. texted postive

#24 2015-05-03 08:26:15

jpdupont

First, for 10 years, every time I try to leave textpattern for a competitor, I come back.

As soon retired teacher, Textpattern was part of a perfect educational sense: HTML> CSS > Textpattern . All my students had dreamed as a static site could materialize in dynamic site with TXP. They easily understand the programming aspect of the Textpattern tags.

In the other (small) part of my life , I have a small business website creation . There, if my site designer work is easy with Textpattern (I think I can do pretty much what I want) , I have a hard time presenting my clients an outdated editing interface.

If a competitor offers a Wordpress offers and demoed the backoffice , I lost in advance …

To my sites operate today, they are based on about 10 essential plugins like abl_droploader, smd_thumbnail, smd_tags, smd_macro, adi_ * …

It makes me stressed out, because I do not know if it will work again tomorrow or after …

Thus, in two months, I would not be a teacher. I will keep and I will develop my small business of creating websites. For me, the educational aspect of Textpattern will be flew away, and if nothing is changing faster I don’t know if TXP will always be my first choice CMS :((

Board footer