Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-11-20 10:58:45

Emily

New to Text Pattern, Trying to fix broken links/deleted pages!

Hello! I’m pretty new to text pattern, but the website I’ve been using is an existing one on text pattern. It’s a podcast website, and through an accident one of the people on the site’s ftp deleted a bunch of files and folders some where pages containing pathways leaving it with a lot of broken links. I’m hoping to try and fix these issues. Is it possible to make a new page just using /textpattern.index or would I have to go about making a new page separately then saving it into the ftp and textpattern will just read it? Also would it be possible to just use the format from the main page as a template? I’m feeling lost and any help is much appreciated! I have a few more questions but I feel like I should start with those two.

Thanks so much!

#2 2014-11-20 11:31:35

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: New to Text Pattern, Trying to fix broken links/deleted pages!

You can probably re-install the TXP files (download the package via textpattern.com) in the existing website.
That doesn’t restore removed uploaded files and images, but the other content should still be in the database.

#3 2014-11-20 13:07:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: New to Text Pattern, Trying to fix broken links/deleted pages!

Emily wrote #285966:

ftp deleted a bunch of files and folders some where pages containing pathways leaving it with a lot of broken links.

Hi Emily and welcome to Textpattern. If the files that have been deleted are podcast files that were in the /files folder then there is no way you can reinstate them without a backup. If you have a copy of the files somewhere, you can re-upload them and Textpattern should reinstate the links, providing the file names and paths are all the same as they were before ther were deleted. If you don’t have a backup of such files, maybe you could ask the web hosting provider if they have one?

If, however, the problem is that other system files have been deleted then your best bet is to re-upload the Textpattern core files as Ruud suggests and go from there. But missing core files tend to lead to worse errors than simple 404s! Can you still log into the Textpattern admin interface successfully and navigate the panels without errors being thrown?

Is it possible to make a new page just using /textpattern.index or would I have to go about making a new page separately then saving it into the ftp and textpattern will just read it?

Textpattern usually holds its pages in the database (there are plugins that will store them on disk for you, but out of the box they’re currently all in the database). So messing around with copying files via FTP is not usually necessary. If you ever want to make new pages, visit the admin interface’s Presentation->Pages panel and create a new one or copy an existing one and give it a name. When you assign that Page to a Section, that’s the Page template you’ll get when you visit www.your-site.com/name-of-your-section.

You can reuse Pages across many Sections and employ conditional tags in the template to do things like “if I’m in Section A then display this, else display that”. But that’s all for another day. Right now, let’s get your content back and fix those broken links!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer