Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-07-12 19:25:24

milkshake
Website

[textile] Textile vs. Markdown

Is it on the cards that Textile will be phased out in favor of Markdown?

I came across this reference from wet, which set me wondering…

(Textpattern 4.1.0 will probably be the first version supporting native Markdown notation, so I’m a little ahead of time for this). Source

#2 2007-07-13 06:08:38

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: [textile] Textile vs. Markdown

Not at all, or at least only over my dead body! But Textpattern will gain capabilities to support additional markup languages besides Textile, Markdown being one of them.

#3 2007-07-13 16:40:28

Nic

This might be a bit of a silly question, but in what way? Textpattern already does support Markdown to some degree (albeit renaming the file to classTextile). Would it just be abstracting the file name?

I guess I’m thinking more surface here; I’m sure the technical explanation of supporting other markup languages would make my head spin.

#4 2007-07-14 03:20:11

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Textile will be phased out in favor of Markdown?

Not at all, or at least only over my dead body!

Upgrade that to “never” (I plan on being immortal). ;p

Nic, it will be a kind of “built-in”, supported thing, where you could have articles using an unlimited amount of different markup languages, all you would need is a kind of ‘wrapper’ for it that Textpattern understands. Once the base functionality is available (it is already written, but is in crockery), people will be able to add and distribute their own markup types.

#5 2014-08-31 16:52:32

candyman

Many (many) years ago I was interested on Txp even for his markup language: Textile was (is) really impressive.
Anyway to many friends of mine it seemed not so interesting and so they asked to use the BBcode that they were using on the forum.

Today I see that Markdown (that, when I saw it for the first time, seemed to me just a dialect of Textile) is widely used on many CMS.

So a question: why Markdown had the success that Textile deserved to have?

#6 2014-08-31 18:12:15

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

candyman wrote #283381:

google uses a flavor of textile so it’s not that unsuccessful. But to respond to your question, I guess that the events at joyent and textdrive2 did a lot of damage to both txp and textile.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2014-08-31 19:57:19

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

candyman wrote #283381:

Great Man Theory.

Markdown was the creation of Jon Gruber, who was (and is) immensely popular among Apple Fanboys. In the early days of Textile and Textpattern, Dean wasn’t quite as popular but he did have a genuine following.

“But Dean Allen began to fade away. He wasn’t an infocide, but for several years it was as if he were on infohospice.” – Resurrecting Mark Pilgrim and Why the Lucky Stiff

You would think that the technology would sink or swim on it’s own but that isn’t what happened. Markdown has had a kind of constant low-level marketing campaign that has really paid off.

#8 2014-09-01 00:30:52

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #283387:

Great Man Theory.

well these days Allen seems to be on Elba, while Gruber writes and twitter every day.

as for preferring Textile over Markdown. I really don’t fancy either.

…. texted postive

#9 2014-09-09 19:30:44

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Anyone been following the Markdown Kerfuffle going on today?

A group of Markdown enthusiasts have been working on writing up a complete standard for Markdown. After several attempts to reach Jon Gruber where he did his best Dean and totally ignored them, they chose a name for their project: Standard Markdown. At that point, Gruber pops up and accuses them of trying to steal his creation or something.

So Standard Markdown is now CommonMark

And Gruber shows himself to be a big baby… well, actually, anyone who prefers Android to iOS knew that already.

p.s. If this is giving you a sense of Déjà vu, you may remember the whole RSS/Dave Winer fight that resulted in Atom.

#10 2014-09-10 02:35:52

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #283609:

And Gruber shows himself to be a big baby… well, actually, anyone who prefers Android to iOS knew that already.

Are you sure? … i thought Gruber was a big Fan of iOS

…. texted postive

#11 2014-09-10 03:28:11

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #283613:

Are you sure? … i thought Gruber was a big Fan of iOS

That is what I meant. Remember I called him Apple’s biggest Fanboy in the earlier comment.

“But recently, my sense has changed. I hadn’t been able crisply describe any single bit of writing that was obviously problematic, but as a whole, his defenses and promotion of Apple have seemed more zealous. I no longer feel like I am listening to someone who I can get the straight scoop from. I am starting to feel like he is devolving into a pure Apple partisan.” – John Gruber jumps the shark

#12 2014-09-24 18:43:23

jdueck
Plugin Author
Website

Personally I think Markdown succeeded mostly on its merits. Unprocessed markdown documents are very readable. Textile is basically HTML shorthand, whereas the basic MD feature set aims to be human-friendly. (especially regarding headings, numbered lists, etc.)

I say this as a Textpattern user since the very beginning, I was a big fan of Textile. But Markdown just looks better. If I had my way tomorrow every Textile implementation and document would be magically converted to Markdown. It really has nothing to do with Great Man Gruber. (In fact as many have noted, apart from his having initially made and named Markdown, it’s really succeeded in spite of Gruber, not because of him.)

Last edited by jdueck (2014-09-24 18:51:48)

Board footer