You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2013-10-10 20:24:01

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Eventual forum upgrade plan

Els wrote:

Yay, I’ll be a dragon \o/

For a short while ;-) Dragons turn into pretty little flowers sun goddesses when they grow big (I still have few dragons to spare, so that may take a while)

Then there are those extra easter egg ranks that are meant to be never reached. Anyone have any Textpattern related (inside) ‘jokes’ and sayings? flash ranks, woooo — maybe?

Last edited by Gocom (2013-10-10 20:24:59)

#62 2013-10-10 20:32:37

els

Gocom wrote:

Anyone have any Textpattern related (inside) ‘jokes’ and sayings?

I enjoy your site very much.

#63 2013-10-17 09:20:45

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

The new update will also bring a RESTful public API. This interface can be used to fetch information about topics and posts; a plugin author could disable resent posts on his website or the topics could be integrated to Textpattern.org.

The API currently wraps around FluxBB 1.5’s updated feeds, with additional support for clear path structure, normalized JSON responses and error response codes. The API supports basic HTTP authentication using normal forum credentials to request read private content.

An example request of:

$ curl http://forum.textpattern.test/api/posts/40069?limit=2

Responds with:

{
    "url": ["http:\/\/forum.textpattern.test\/viewtopic.php?id=40069"],
    "post": [
        {
            "title": "Re: Forum status",
            "link": "http:\/\/forum.textpattern.test\/viewtopic.php?pid=275320#p275320",
            "content": "<p>Hi Phil,<\/p>\n\n<p>I saw your post in G+ and although I am atrocious with translations to Greek I will give it a go. I’m working towards a deadline now so give me some time and I’ll get into it.<\/p>",
            "author": {
                "name": "colak",
                "uri": "http:\/\/forum.textpattern.test\/profile.php?id=3073"
            },
            "posted": "Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:13:56 +0000",
            "id": "275320"
        },
        {
            "title": "Re: Forum status",
            "link": "http:\/\/forum.textpattern.test\/viewtopic.php?pid=275318#p275318",
            "content": "<p>Cheers Yiannis.<\/p>\n\n<p>On a completely separate now, I’m fixing the <span class=\"caps\">RPC<\/span> server up and sorting a lot of language stuff out. Els mentioned you’d be the person to talk to regarding getting the Greek Textpack up to date: <a href=\"https:\/\/github.com\/textpattern\/textpacks\" rel=\"nofollow\">more info here<\/a><\/p>\n\n<p>Some of the languages are already being improve by various contributors right now, but the Greek one has lots of missing strings at the moment.<\/p>\n\n<p>If you could help, that’s be great.<\/p>",
            "author": {
                "name": "philwareham",
                "uri": "http:\/\/forum.textpattern.test\/profile.php?id=39206"
            },
            "posted": "Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:32:53 +0000",
            "id": "275318"
        }
    ]
}

Last edited by Gocom (2013-10-17 09:21:04)

#64 2013-10-17 10:50:43

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’m aiming to get the new forum theming done by end of October, so hopefully we can get the forum moved across to the new format early in November. Some of the current forums will be consolidated, and some will be deleted (and probably all their content moved to an archived section) during that transition. The international forums will definitely not appear on the new version (I’d imagine all the posts within those will also be archived so it is not lost).

Post launch, We’ll need to update a fair number of sticky articles to reflect the latest work methods we use for development and reporting issues and stuff like that.

This’ll be stage one of our work in modernising the whole family of Textpattern brand sites (and also the txpmag site), so there will be inconsistency with these other sites for a few months in terms of aesthetics and features. We think this approach is a better use of time than spending several months doing all the sites in one go, and means the forum can benefit now instead of late 2014 or whatever time it takes to do the whole lot (I’m not relishing the .org site work, but it’s got to be done).

As more of the brand sites are updated over the next few months they will all take on a more unified design and feel. A key component in the ongoing maintenance of these sites is that the theme chosen is not over-designed, CSS/HTML is as clean and semantic as possible, that elements are modular, and that assets are shared wherever possible to avoid making extra work for ourselves in the future. Of course the new designs will also all work nicely on various devices, from mobile to desktop.

All work will also be version controlled and public on GitHub, for future collaboration and transparency (it’ll also be a good learning resource for any keen developers). In the past too much of this development was done behind closed doors which has led to some serious flaws that we are only now discovering. Hopefully be making code public this issue will be less likely to occur.

#65 2013-10-17 15:38:26

uli

philwareham wrote:

The international forums will definitely not appear on the new version (I’d imagine all the posts within those will also be archived so it is not lost).

Please, could you elaborate a little on that? Why did that decision come about? How will future international topics be handled?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#66 2013-10-17 16:10:26

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Sorry if I missed it: is there an online test version somewhere?

#67 2013-10-17 16:15:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The decision came about because 95% of the international forums are not used at all, and are actually detrimental to fostering and enlarging the community base. International topics are international topics, so they should be addressed in the main forums where they can be visible and answered, not a small area where they’ll most likely be ignored.

The exception to this rule are the German, French and Spanish sections (possibly the Italian too) which have a fair number of posts – jury is out on what happens to those at the moment.

#68 2013-10-17 16:18:01

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@Oleg,

No online test exists at present – we are running local installs at the moment for development (using a snapshot of the forum database as of a couple of weeks ago).

#69 2013-10-17 17:41:36

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

etc wrote:

Sorry if I missed it: is there an online test version somewhere?

No, but anyone is free to build the source code if they want to.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-10-17 17:43:05)

#70 2013-10-17 21:41:18

els

uli wrote:

How will future international topics be handled?

philwareham wrote:

International topics are international topics, so they should be addressed in the main forums

I’m curious how you are seeing this. Will there be one forum for all languages other than English, or can topics in other languages be posted in the applicable regular forums (How do I, Presentation, etcetera, or whatever they will be named)? But this should probably be discussed somewhere else (the Moderation forum?). Or have you already made up your minds about this?

#71 2013-10-17 22:32:25

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Els,

I mean that if a topic is about Textpattern, then it should be posted in the relevant Textpattern forum section so it can actually be answered and not ignored or missed. Of course there is nothing stopping a user from posting to any forum in their native language but they’d probably get the largest response if they use English since, in general, it is the common shared language we all have. Others might have a different opinion on this and maybe state that all topics should be English as a rule, but I don’t want to force that issue myself.

I realise this may sound a little draconian (especially coming from someone English such as myself), but if there is enough call for forums in a non-English languages that can be addressed by setting up a dedicated forum solution in another language in the future (the code we use will be publicly available on GitHub after all). I don’t see that happening in truth unless there is a large upswing in users, but it’s an option.

Check out Drupal’s forums or even WordPress.org’s forums – they don’t directly cater for non-English forums, rather leaving it to volunteers to set up if natural demand is there.

One thing I am keen to investigate though is the main Textpattern.com site in other languages, once we start work on that. Is it feasible? I don’t know, maybe not, given our limited resources – but I want to explore the possibility.

#72 2013-10-17 23:04:44

els

Ah, that’s very clear, Phil. Thanks. I think I agree!

Board footer