Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2013-01-29 22:47:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Mail() function not working

bici wrote:

So after many tests it appears that folks with Gmail e-mails do not get email notification when they change their passwords. All other email addresses work fine.

That is just bizarre. E-mail does get swallowed by servers when it is “suspect” but according to the email header you posted above the SPF passed both tests so it should have been delivered.

Now, gmail does have an annoying habit of grouping messages together with (2) added to them if they come from the same place regarding the same subject. And it has some random quoting rules too which means some parts of messages can get hidden behind ellipses meaning I’ve missed bits of an inline-quoted message before. The upshot is that messages can be buried.

You state that the gmail accounts all receive the first (registration) email fine. That implies that mail() is working, the server is working, and gmail is “working” as you expect.

If you subsequently change the password, instead of a “new” email appearing in the inbox, the message is sometimes appended to the registration email and a sly little (2) is added to the original message. If you happen to notice this and click the message, the first (registration) email is displayed but sometimes the 2nd (password change) message is collapsed beneath it and you need to click it to open it up.

I’m not saying this is what’s happening in your case. As you say, I’ve had it where registration/password change emails just never arrive. But the fact that all parts of the system work once is what’s confusing me.

The only other stab in the dark I can think of is that maybe gmail is not 100% happy with the SPF info it receives from the registration mail but lets the first message through. Perhaps it then adds the IP / MX info / sender to some internal watch list and when it sees the same info again, decides it’s spam and ditches it before you see it. That’s a very long shot, but providers do sometimes make very strange decisions on behalf of users — and I wish they’d all just leave every message alone and let users decide if they want a message or not.

If that is the case then, as you say, it could be the way that Joyent package up the header info, but we’d have to find another Joyent user with the same settings as you to verify that’s what’s happening with gmail reception.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2013-01-29 23:43:58

bici
Website Mastodon

I decided to try another test with a gmail address and while doing New User setups i had Mailplane ( gmail mail app) open and was in the spam filter.

Sure enough! … this time both the initial welcome message as well as the change password confirmation message ended up in SPAM!

When i open the message this warning appears:
Why is this message in Spam? It’s similar to messages that were detected by our spam filters. Learn more

So we can now confirm that GMAIL is overzealous in its SPAM detection.

…. texted postive

#39 2013-01-30 02:04:09

joebaich
Website

Why is this message in Spam? We’ve found that lots of messages from spencer.joyent.us are spam

Yep, the two you sent me were in my GMail spam too. I looked there yesterday but didn’t see them so there may have been a delay. I take it from the message that google is objecting to the Joyent server.

#40 2013-01-30 09:07:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

joebaich wrote:

I take it from the message that google is objecting to the Joyent server.

Seems so. Perhaps this part of the SPF might be to blame:

best guess record for domain of giovanni@spencer.joyent.us

Would be interesting to see the salient parts of the message headers that ended up in spam to see if there’s anything in them that we can use to improve the situation.

This is how I see things, but I’m not really a big email/server guy so I might be wrong:

• When you add a user, Textpattern creates a mail message and uses the Send login details from this email address pref as the sender.
  • If no Send login details from this email address is set, it uses the current logged-in user’s email address as the sender
  • Destination server receives the message, sees the domain site.com, sees (your) email address mom@yourmom.com and flags it as ‘suspicious’ because the site domain doesn’t match the sender email domain.

It might let it through or might not depending on what mood the receiving server is in. Thus I suspect if you set the Send login details from this email address preference to an email address that matches the domain of the site itself, the gmail messages might get through.

Failing that you could also mess with the other setting SMTP envelope sender address and do likewise (see the help associated with that pref for more details).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-01-30 09:09:03)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#41 2013-01-30 22:34:29

bici
Website Mastodon

Google reports: “We’ve found that lots of messages from spencer.joyent.us are spam”

This was noticed in one of the login confirmation that failed to be delivered.
Google is wary of joyent.us or at the very least the spencer server in particular.

Big Brother Google is deciding for us what is spam.

…. texted postive

#42 2013-01-30 22:48:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

bici wrote:

Big Brother Google is deciding for us what is spam.

Yes and I do wish they and their other mail “service” corporations would just let everything through: even if that mode is configurable via a user option.

Board footer