Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-12-05 12:17:31

uli

Forum peculiarities for new members

I often have to remember firmly when advising new forum members: What did the forum interface look like these 6 years ago when I had less than 10 posts? Why do new members have difficulties posting images or linking to them, can they open topics, do they really get no email links displayed? etc. This topic shall serve those who like to have clarity about peculiarities like these.

This one and some of the following posts are transferred over here from the MLP topic, thus some edges here’n‘there.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Are the email links in the left sidebar here invisible for alpha members?

Last edited by uli (2012-12-05 23:03:01)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2012-12-05 12:19:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Forum peculiarities for new members

uli wrote:

ellenb, no sarcasm intended: are the email links in the left sidebar here invisible for alpha members?

Yeah from what I recall, (alpha?) Members can’t see them. I’ve sent a PM instead.

{D’oh, used the edit link instead of quoting. – Uli}

Last edited by uli (2012-12-05 12:41:59)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2012-12-05 12:41:03

uli

Bloke wrote:

(alpha?) Members can’t see them.

Members have an email form displayed after clicking (been exactly 12 months when I could still use it) while mods/admins/devs can use this link with their email application. Don’t know about alphas yet. Really interested as I might advise some more users.

{Edited to remove potentially confusing remainders of the MLP topic.}

Last edited by uli (2012-12-05 23:12:54)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2012-12-05 20:32:26

els

uli wrote:

Don’t know about alphas yet. Really interested as I might advise some more users.

Alpha members are new members with less than 10 posts. When the 10th post is reached, the rank is automatically updated to beta, and the user group is changed from New Member to Member. The user group determines the forum permissions, so New Members have a couple of restrictions: they can’t post images, see email links in profiles, delete their own posts, and search the user list. All of this of course in view of our beloved spammers ;)
Since we have to do the ‘upgrade’ to Member manually, it’s entirely possible that every once in a while a beta is still a New Member, and, vice versa, we can grant alphas Member privileges.

I hope this clarifies things?

#5 2012-12-05 23:11:31

uli

Els wrote:

I hope this clarifies things?

Yes, there’s so much information in your post that I could open a new topic with it ;)

What remains unanswered yet, though, is the point of origin: Can new members see email links in the forum side bar at all?

Possibly another peculiarity is effective here and we have to move the topic one level upstairs: Is the “Websites and Social Channels” forum visible at all for normal members and new users respectively? As far as I remember “Moderation” isn’t, and I actually intended to put this topic there.

Last edited by uli (2012-12-05 23:15:39)

#6 2012-12-06 18:14:53

els

uli wrote:

What remains unanswered yet, though, is the point of origin: Can new members see email links in the forum side bar at all?

No, that is what I meant with “see email links in profiles”. Sorry about the confusion.

Possibly another peculiarity is effective here and we have to move the topic one level upstairs: Is the “Websites and Social Channels” forum visible at all for normal members and new users respectively?

As far as I know, yes it is. But, Uli, didn’t you have a new member account yourself to test this? ;)

Board footer