Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#205 2012-03-21 23:39:24

floodfish
Website

Re: smd_tags: unlimited article, image, file and link taxonomy

I’m getting the blank screen of plugin-rejection with the unzipped, zipped, and beta versions.

I’ve got a bleeding-edge installation, pulled from the repo a few hours ago, 4.4.1 (r3683).

Plenty of other plugins are installing fine (at least from their zipped versions).

Any suggestions?

#206 2012-03-21 23:48:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

floodfish wrote:

I’ve got a bleeding-edge installation, pulled from the repo a few hours ago, 4.4.1 (r3683).

Haven’t tried installing it on SVN yet, but its plugin type will need altering to ‘5’ at a minimum (use phpMyAdmin if you can get the plugin installed, before you activate it). I need to check the plugin works with the new ajaxified Write tab. I suspect it’ll collapse in its current form.

The wrong plugin type shouldn’t stop you installing it though, so quite why it’s giving you the white finger is not obvious. I have another beta ready to go which is largely untested. You’re welcome to try that if you drop me a line.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-03-21 23:48:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#207 2012-03-29 04:42:44

photonomad
Website

Hi Bloke,

I downloaded smd_tags 0.40 a while back to try it out. I haven’t actually been using it since, but it was still set to ‘Yes’ in my plugins list. I just noticed something in my txp Visitor Log that makes me curious. There are a bunch of hits to pages on my site that contain:

/?​smd_tag=&​smd_tagtype=&​

Here’s a screenshot. (btw: I’m not seeing any hits to these urls in my Google Analytics account)

I just set smd_tags to ‘No’ in my plugins list and I’ll watch it to see if the hits stop. Just wanted to let you know about it in case it is some kind of bug.

Thanks!

Last edited by photonomad (2012-03-29 04:46:27)

#208 2012-03-29 09:19:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

photonomad wrote:

/?​smd_tag=&​smd_tagtype=&​

Thanks for the report. Yeah it’s a bug of sorts. The tag plugin adds that (with correct details filled in) to tag landing pages but in the current v0.40 it also adds empty params to other URLs, including those submitted by zem_contact_reborn, which is a pain. I’ve squashed it (I think) in the next version but I haven’t made the new beta available just yet while I test out a few more things.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-03-29 09:24:42)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#209 2012-03-30 02:54:15

photonomad
Website

Thanks, Bloke! Good to know.

#210 2012-04-01 23:04:03

saccade
Plugin Author

Hi,
I have some difficulties with smd_tags:
First everything seemed to have installed well.
I have four articles with tags and seven different tags, not associated to categories.

But now it seems it is no longer functional:
In admin_side: When choosing a tag in the tag list on the right column and saving the article nothing gets saved (checked: no new entry in the smd_tags_used-table). This is true as well for new tags as for existing tags.
I’m not able to activate any tag in any article.
The landing page does show the four tagged articles.
I also can add new tags.
Weird.
I have no clue what happened. edit maybe I have a clue now: I work on a very new release (3685).
Any hints?

Last edited by saccade (2012-04-01 23:06:35)

#211 2012-04-01 23:25:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

saccade wrote:

I work on a very new release (3685).

Unfortunately smd_tags doesn’t work reliably in SVN yet. I’m not sure why, but even when I set the plugin type to ‘5’ I just get the save spinner going forever when saving an article. I think it’s to do with the fact I’m returning a hunk of HTML (the result of a selectInput()) to be rendered directly to the admin side, instead of returning javascript (or something) and rendering it using jQuery on the client side.

Thing is, if that is the case, it’ll be a real pain to have to do all DOM creation client side as I can’t then use the core’s nice admin side widget rendering functions. It’s probaby just me not having read the code proplerly though — perhaps I’ve neglected to specify what ‘type’ of information is being returned and it’s defaulting to javascript. Thus, when it doesn’t get javascript, the core is complaining.

I’ll need to dive into this a bit more deeply and find out why the plugin’s AJAX is being rejected. Until then, sorry, no workee.

#212 2012-04-04 20:59:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

saccade / all

I’ve fixed the save button bug, yay. And in the past couple of days I’ve added a truckload more stuff including the concept of… fanfare… master tags.

What you can now do is nominate one tag as a “master” in the prefs. Any tags you stash under here (it’s the same name for all content types) will be always available, regardless of your category linking prefs. So you can have the best of both worlds: a reduced tag set based on the categories currently selected as well as being able to pick from a core list alongside.

I’ve got a few loose ends to tie up with the idea. At the moment I’m undecided what to do with the master tag in tag lists. By rights, since it’s not really a proper tag in itself — just a placeholder — it should be omitted. But if you wanted to display its name on the public side for some reason then I don’t think the plugin should prevent you from doing that. So what I’ve done is to add an is_master boolean check to the <txp:smd_if_tag> tag. If you don’t want to show it in the lists you can detect the tag and omit it.

I’ve had some great success with naming the master tag ‘0’. That means the ‘global’ tags beneath it always appear at the top of lists. Along with this change, I’ve permitted you to choose whether you want users to be able to select the parent tag assigned to categories (a.k.a. “red leader”, “wing commander”, insert Star Wars analogy here). That’s mighty handy as it means you can designate parent tags as off-limits while still populating a nice tag hierarchy beneath.

Oh, and did I mention:

• Multi-tag searches — both AND and OR — are done so you can find articles that contain tag A OR tagB, or find images that contain tagA AND tagB AND tagC… from the URL.
  • I’m halfway through bi-directional tag searching (pick a child tag and its parents or children (or both) are automatically assumed to be included in the list). It works on the public side, I just have to fix it up for the content panels on the admin side.
  • I’ve added (Textile-able) tag descriptions which opens things up massively for creating self contained, descriptive taxonomies so visitors know what each tag is for. You could even assign an image ID to each tag if you wished and display it on your site. One thing I’m toying with is offering a tooltip as you hover over the item in the list / tag set so if you don’t know what a tag is, the description pops up. Really handy when assigning tags on the Write tab. I can do it for tag lists easy enough, but doing it in a select dropdown is trickier. I think it’s possible with some jQuery magic: investigation underway.

Plus there’s the speed and server load / cacheing improvements, a host of niggly fixes and an improved admin tab.

After over three years of work and procrastination, it’s finally starting to kick butt! Mind you, at around 4000 lines of code it ain’t small…

Although I’ve a little way to go yet, it’s stable enough to run so if anybody wants a copy, please raise your hand and let me know if you want a vanilla 4.4.1 or SVN version — the only difference is the plugin type.

Hang in there. The future’s bright; the future’s tagging.

#213 2012-04-04 21:17:51

saccade
Plugin Author

you are great!
<txp:sac_raise_hand name="svn" />

#214 2012-04-05 07:34:51

milosevic

I’m really excited expectating this new release. I’m building a new site based on smd_tag, it will be nice to test the new version. Thanks Bloke.

<txp:rocks/>

#215 2012-04-05 08:54:36

milosevic

Thanks for the copy, Bloke. I’m working in a really slower hosting for developing my site and the first impression of v.05 is that it is very much faster than previous version: nice work. I will test it in the further days and will report any founded problem.

Last edited by milosevic (2012-04-05 08:55:19)

#216 2012-04-07 16:25:36

milosevic

Hello, Bloke:

I found an unusual behavior of <txp:page_url/> when using it in an smg_tags page. I don’t know if it is a bug or if I’m not understanding somethink.

having this page:

/smd_tags/article/my-tag?foo1=value1&foo2=value2

if I use <txp:page_url/> on it the result is

/smd_tags/?foo3=my-tag&#38;foo4=article&#38;foo1=value1&foo2=value2

I’m using adi_gps for some stuff so foo3 can be a consecuence of that, but this one:

foo4=article

looks like if <page_url/> where unable to catch “/smd_tags/article/” and returns “/smd_tags?foo4=article” on its place.

Board footer