Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-07-27 22:36:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

smd_user_manager: keep large user bases under control

Give yourself and your users more control. This is a complete replacement for the Admin->Users tab. Features:

• Add / edit / list users, with content counts alongside each user
  • Search, sort, or filter the users
  • Quickly find accounts with certain characteristics (e.g. self-registered spam accounts with 0 articles)
  • Perform multi-edits: change privilege / reset pass / delete
  • All users can edit their own details and change their password — including smd_bio data, if v0.40+ installed
  • Create new user groups (a.k.a. roles) if the default six aren’t enough
  • Rename existing groups to more suitable names (you cannot delete them)
  • Modify TXP’s standard priv areas to alter what each user group can see/do
  • Add new priv areas (useful for custom code to save doing it in a plugin)
  • A “who’s online” indicator

Download the plugin and let me know as always any goodness, badness or indifference. Requires Txp 4.4.1 or higher

Revision history
————————

All available versions and changes are listed here. Each entry indexes the relevant post(s) in the thread to learn about the features.

• 27 Jul 2011 | v0.10 | Initial public release
  • 03 Nov 2011 | v0.11 | Added smd_um_has_privs tag to check privs/areas ; added preference to allow editing of smd_um privs; fixed handling of users with privs=None

Last edited by Bloke (2011-11-04 00:38:56)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2011-07-28 06:54:08

CeBe
Plugin Author
Website

Re: smd_user_manager: keep large user bases under control

In one word: woha-impressive-efficient-useful-so-good !

Last edited by CeBe (2011-07-28 06:54:40)

#3 2011-07-28 07:42:15

vaprea

Hi Stef,
i’ve successfully installed this fantastic plugin, but when i click on “User manager” i receive:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tInput() in /…/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(653) : eval()’d code on line 1173

Thank you

<txp:sy/>

#4 2011-07-28 07:43:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

vaprea wrote:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tInput() in /…/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(653) : eval()’d code on line 1173

You need Txp 4.4.1 to run this plugin.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2011-07-28 09:41:45

jpdupont

What my last client need : link some users to some sections (a group of users may edit articles of some sections). Is it possible to do that actually or … in the future ?

#6 2011-07-28 10:41:36

douglgm
Website

jpdupont wrote:

What my last client need : link some users to some sections (a group of users may edit articles of some sections). Is it possible to do that actually or … in the future ?

Absolutely, this would be the last pice of the puzzle as far as I’m concerned!

#7 2011-07-28 11:16:05

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Here is a very simple interface and very effective. Good job Steph. As always.
If I understand correctly, this plug’in allows:

• Modify standard priv areas of groups with a graphical interface, similar bot_privs, or by directly editing admin_config.
  • But also priv areas on different tabs Plug’ins. What can be done by editing the plug’in sometimes.
  • Rename groups, what you can do with “wet_babble”, with varying degrees of success.
  • Create new groups.
  • Batch operations for users.

What I remember mostly is

1. Ability to create new groups, while the six existing aren’t enough.
  2. Add new private areas (I still do not understand how it works)
  3. Have a simple and effective graphical interface for the customer, if he needs to manipulate its users.

@ jpdupond
Able to limit the permissions of the groups to certain sections or categories is a feature that many TXP users expect, and this for several years. I too hope that solves with TxP5. It is always possible to hide sections using Javascript or CSS, but this is a makeup too easy to remove.

Another feature that I expect is to divide the permissions for creating users.

For example:

• Authorize the “Copy Editor” to create and manage only “Staff Writer” and “Freelancer”, and has no permissions to delete or modify an “Admin” or “designer” or other “Copy Editor”.
  • Authorized the “Managing Editor” to create and manage “Designer” and having any permissions to the other groups.
  • The admin has permissions to manage all groups.

For this I have not found solution. And want to expect too much from TxP5, I’m afraid of being disappointed.

#8 2011-07-28 20:14:23

uli

sacripant wrote:

• Authorize the “Copy Editor” to create and manage only “Staff Writer” and “Freelancer”, and has no permissions to delete or modify an “Admin” or “designer” or other “Copy Editor”.
  • Authorized the “Managing Editor” to create and manage “Designer” and having any permissions to the other groups.
  • The admin has permissions to manage all groups.

For this I have not found solution.

In the meantime, have you discovered the prefs tab and there “Assume hierarchical groups”? As far as I understood that’s pretty exactly what you describe.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#9 2011-07-28 20:19:48

uli

Thanks, Stef! Brilliant possibilities!
Making this into a plugin is more textpatternish than I expected. I’ll have a further play with it now :)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#10 2011-07-28 20:51:18

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

@Uli :
Oops, my bad knowledge of English still plays me tricks

@Steph
This plug’in is amazing !

#11 2011-07-29 21:19:03

progre55

Bloke

You continue to raise the bar — great plug in.

progre55

#12 2011-08-09 12:50:55

jstubbs
Website

Stef, this looks like an amazing plugin. Thanks for this! A candidate for core in TXP5 perhaps?

I have had buggy behaviour so far though, not sure if its my install or the plugin. On a 4.4.1 install when I open Privs and select “list” then check the option to add this privilege to a new user group and press save, the option is not saved. Well, sometimes it saves and sometimes not. (BTW, this is on that site we have worked on together).

For non-core aspects such as “smd” or “l10n”, I can’t save any other options apart from what is already checked (again I mean for the new user group).

Awesome work Stef!

Board footer