Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-12-22 16:46:36

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re: soo_editarea: EditArea integration with Txp tag highlighting

Had a look at CodeMirror. Promising, certainly, but a lot more work to get a usable implementation with Txp, as far as I can see. EditArea is pretty much plug-and-play for Txp, notwithstanding the Safari bug.

CodeMirror doesn’t seem to have any equivalent to EditArea’s full-screen toggle. For me that’s a major feature.

Code is topiary

#14 2010-12-22 22:59:25

jakob
Admin
Website

Jeff, I appreciate you taking the time to look at Codemirror. I used EditArea a while back when Stuart made his bundled Big Blue admin template and really wanted to like it but found it slow on my (admittedly aging) machine and didn’t need most of the toolbar stuff (some of which you can, at least, turn off). Maybe I need to try it again now that the browser javascript engines have all been supercharged.

I think you’re right about there not being a full screen view in codemirror. I routinely set the textarea width for the code boxes to 100% and the font to consolas and you can drag enlarge the textarea in Safari but I realise that is not quite the same, particularly for plugin authors.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2010-12-23 01:06:07

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote:

found it slow on my (admittedly aging) machine and didn’t need most of the toolbar stuff (some of which you can, at least, turn off).

Most likely features for the next iteration of soo_editarea would be:

• JavaScript syntax highlighting — really the only question is how is this triggered in the absence of a core Txp js panel. (Very simple to automatically load the js syntax file based on Style/Form name, for example.)
  • Control over what to include in the EditArea toolbar. (I don’t know if leaving stuff out of the toolbar would help performance or not.)

I routinely set the textarea width for the code boxes to 100% and the font to consolas and you can drag enlarge the textarea in Safari but I realise that is not quite the same, particularly for plugin authors.

Dragging to resize textareas is a nice feature of WebKit browsers. Still, I really like being able to pop in and out of full-screen mode with a single click.

Code is topiary

#16 2010-12-30 11:01:38

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Version 0.1.3 fixes a bug with Internet Explorer (type attribute in script tag).

Code is topiary

#17 2011-04-27 20:27:54

marjoleink

jsoo wrote:

EditArea is a JavaScript-based code editor for browser textareas. Features include:

Suggested by the (apparently defunct) atb_editarea plugin, and discussion on the Txp forum.

I’m not so sure atb_textarea is ‘defunct’, because I just managed to install it in my creaky-fresh (and first-time) multi-site install. :D

A few extra steps I needed:

• I put the edit_area directory inside the textpattern install directory (i.e. at the same level as the sites directory)
  • I dropped your txp.js file into the reg_syntax folder (it seems to be functionally identical to the file iblastoff made but that has disappeared)
  • inside the sites/[mysite]/admin directory I made a symlink called edit_area to the edit_area directory (with the ‘standard’ multi-site setup this step will make it work for any site that uses the same install)
  • a small edit to the plugin code so that it now uses the txp parser instead of the html parser for the html textareas

The plugin code looks a lot simpler than yours, which I may try out later. For now, I’m quite happy to have it working, with TXP syntax highlighting and all!

It’s only the third plugin for me, but together with smd_prefalizer and rvm_maintenance (not that there’s much to see), I’m ready to try my first theme installation. :) (After I have something to eat, at least.)

Cheers,

Last edited by marjoleink (2011-04-27 21:04:37)

Marjolein Katsma ¤ Hacking a theme to learn tags now ¤ nul = nada — lt = very little — why is there even a site there?

#18 2011-04-27 21:04:49

mrdale
Website

Thanks for the plugin Jeff.

If you could add a feature that would allow you to config the default width and height of the area, it would save me manually hacking the call. I’m lazy.

#19 2011-04-28 01:24:21

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

marjoleink wrote:

I’m not so sure atb_textarea is ‘defunct’, because I just managed to install it in my creaky-fresh (and first-time) multi-site install. :D

You’re right, “defunct” wasn’t the right word. It is, however, (apparently) orphaned, as you discovered by trying the author’s link. You’re also right that atb_editarea is a very small plugin. But then, that’s part of the reason you needed extra steps :) Glad to hear my txp.js file works with it.

Code is topiary

#20 2011-04-28 01:38:37

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote:

If you could add a feature that would allow you to config the default width and height of the area, it would save me manually hacking the call. I’m lazy.

Good idea, done in v0.1.4. Note that it will allow you to go larger than the Txp default, but not smaller.

Code is topiary

#21 2011-04-28 01:40:56

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Version 0.1.4 released

Adds prefs for default height and width, as suggested by mrdale.

Code is topiary

#22 2011-04-28 10:19:28

marjoleink

jsoo wrote:

You’re right, “defunct” wasn’t the right word. It is, however, (apparently) orphaned …

I didn’t think so, as its Textpattern.org page says it was last updated in January this year. To me that looks recent enough for it not to be orphaned. And it doesn’t have the ‘orphaned’ flag either (which I have noted on other resources there – and paid attention to). And the ‘Information URL’ link there is working, too.

What are the criteria for something being “orphaned” here?

You’re also right that atb_editarea is a very small plugin. But then, that’s part of the reason you needed extra steps :)

Apart from adding the txp.js the only real (and important) extra step is providing for the multi-site install, which I’d need for your plugin as well as far as I can see: there needs to be a web-accessible address for the browser to find the EditArea script. The main installation directory is (deliberately) outside the web root in this multi-site scheme.

BTW, your information page looks a bit broken now – after the screenshots is a mass of textile source…

Cheers,

Last edited by marjoleink (2011-04-28 10:29:06)

Marjolein Katsma ¤ Hacking a theme to learn tags now ¤ nul = nada — lt = very little — why is there even a site there?

#23 2011-04-28 12:14:00

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

marjoleink wrote:

What are the criteria for something being “orphaned” here?

Usually it’s inactivity. In this case I’m making an assumption based on the fact that not long after releasing this plugin, the author has stopped posting to the forum, and has moved his blog to a different CMS. I could be wrong :)

Apart from adding the txp.js the only real (and important) extra step is providing for the multi-site install

You mentioned something about editing the plugin code. That plugin’s simplicity comes from hard-coding paths etc., which is why you had to hack it to use a different syntax file. I’m not knocking the plugin; it works as advertised. You’re right you’d need the same symlink using my plugin. The reason to consider my version is if you want the preference settings for fonts etc.

BTW, your information page looks a bit broken now – after the screenshots is a mass of textile source…

Argh, thank you for pointing that out. Had broken my plugin compiler’s symlink to classTextile.php

Code is topiary

#24 2011-04-28 15:08:24

mrdale
Website

jsoo wrote: Good idea, done in v0.1.4. Note that it will allow you to go larger than the Txp default, but not smaller.

Well that was easy… how about this… “I want a pony”

Board footer