Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1741 2011-03-12 20:06:06

els

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

lonelytraveller

I was just about to ask you if you had a directory named ‘en’, when I saw your last edit… ;)

#1742 2011-03-12 20:34:31

els

kemie wrote:

I’m actually thinking if this doesn’t wortk out to just have a fresh install of txp, with a new database, and copy/paste the existing content

Well, that might not be such a bad idea… It’s possible that the character set has something to do with it, on my MLP sites it looks like this:

Charset (default/config): latin1/utf8
character_set_client: utf8
character_set_connection: utf8
character_set_database: utf8
character_set_filesystem: binary
character_set_results: utf8
character_set_server: latin1
character_set_system: utf8

But then again, I’m not sure if and to what extent this influences MLP’s working… I don’t see any other obvious indications that something is wrong in your diagnostics.

What I would do is set up a new Txp install in a subdomain/directory on the same server (I know MLP doesn’t work in subdirectories but this is just for testing, so no need to import your content either), first without changing the character set. If you still get the same error(s), you could remove the install and retry with the changed character set; I’d try and change it before installing MLP though.

Also, though it’s probably not related to the problem, I’d use the default ‘classic’ admin theme to begin with, and don’t change that unless it’s certain that everything works.

#1743 2011-03-14 09:59:33

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Els, thanks for the help. After some more experiment, it does seem that MLP is not able to add the l10n_articles table unless the original table is set to utf-8, and I’m not able to convert it to utf without completely messing my characters up… my knowledge of databases is extremely limited, so I dont really know what I’m doing. The furthest I’ve gotten is to get MLP up and running, but all my article titles and custom fields have �����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
in the end of them. I’m considering whether it’s more of a job to go through them manually and delete or to just forget about MLP.

sigh.

as usual thanks for the help :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#1744 2011-03-14 21:37:38

els

Kemie, do these � characters also show up in the write tab?

#1745 2011-03-15 08:38:25

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

yup, they’re in the article list, in the write tab, and in the database if i check directly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#1746 2011-03-15 08:47:25

els

In that case what I was thinking about, re-saving the articles, won’t help I’m afraid. I noticed you had a look at lam_search_replace, that might indeed be the way to go. Do newly added articles display fine? If not, even ‘fixing’ the old ones won’t help much.

I’m sorry, Kemie, I ran out of ideas. What is needed here is a database expert, and I’m definitely not one :(

#1747 2011-03-15 12:19:21

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Els,
It seems newly added articles are fine, and so are resaved ones. It just seems to be something that happened in the conversion process. I’ll try to google around and see if something can be done at the database level, but yea, I’m no database expert either.
I really appreciate your help in this, really!

#1748 2011-03-22 10:08:55

liniocht
Website

Hi!
I need advice from a developer or an MLP hacker.
I’m trying to include language markers into RSS feed. In MLP preferences I set ‘Keep Txp’s normal feed behaviour (don’t inject language markers in feeds)’ to ‘NO’. As it’s shown below this setting forces zlib compression.

The problem is my browsers are unable to correctly decompress it. The only utility that can handle this compressed RSS is UNIX zcat. If I use it I can see normal RSS with language markers inserted.
To debug I disabled all plugins modifying RSS. It had no effect.

In l10n plugin I found this piece of code:

if (extension_loaded('zlib') && ini_get('zlib.output_compression') == 0 && ini_get('output_handler') != 'ob_gzhandler' && !headers_sent())
				{
				@ob_start('ob_gzhandler');
				if( $prefs['l10n_l10n-clean_feeds'] == '0' )
					ini_set( 'zlib.output_compression' , 1 );
				}
			#	Inject our language markers into the feed stream...
			@ob_start( '_l10n_inject_'.$first_chunk.'_lang_markers' );
			}

The code forces gzip compression.

Reading php ob_gzhandler docs I found this:
You cannot use both ob_gzhandler() and zlib.output_compression. Also note that using zlib.output_compression is preferred over ob_gzhandler().

Can somebody confirm this feature (inserting language markers in RSS) is working with txp 4.2.0 and MLP 0.9.13?

Last edited by liniocht (2011-03-22 10:24:06)

#1749 2011-03-24 15:37:08

Exiladler
Website

Hi,

Playing with TXP 4.3.0 (r3451) and l10n 0.9.13-gp and struggling with pointing to css.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<txp:css name="reset" />" type="text/css" media="screen" />

produces

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.brighterideascoop.com/en/css.php?n=reset" type="text/css" media="screen" />

all I need to achieve is to remove the /en/

Despite .htaccess trick posted earlier and preferences exclusion set to ,css,js it is still not doing it.

Well, cache cleared and it works, my own fault, maybe it helps others to avoid the same problem

Last edited by Exiladler (2011-03-24 16:47:45)

#1750 2011-03-27 00:42:06

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I just upgraded a site on my dev server to Textpattern 4.4.0, and when I logged in again, I got this error on both the admin and public sides of the site:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function l10n_installed() in /path/to/site/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(653) :
eval()'d code on line 334

If I manually enter the plugin tab URL, I am able to disable the l10n plugin and everything works. Accept MLP.

#1751 2011-03-27 00:49:19

els

John, you need to keep the old txplib_db.php. It’s not a problem because that file hasn’t changed since Sep. 2010. I just updated three MLP sites and didn’t encounter any problems.

#1752 2011-03-27 00:56:01

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Aha! Thanks, Els! I totally forgot that this file was part of the MLP package.

Board footer