Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-01-24 07:31:33

Themroc
Plugin Author

lum_usermenu - provide a customizable menu page

Uses the new “Home” (a.k.a. “start”) -tab in 4.3.0, but should also work with earlier versions.

DB entry
License

History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. — Voltaire

#2 2011-01-24 08:42:52

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: lum_usermenu - provide a customizable menu page

Nice :)

Themroc wrote:

License

As far as I know, TXP 4.x uses GPLv2, and GPLv2 isn’t compatible with GPLv3.

#3 2011-01-24 08:59:54

Themroc
Plugin Author

Gocom wrote:

Nice :)

Thx!

As far as I know, TXP 4.x uses GPLv2, and GPLv2 isn’t compatible with GPLv3.

Holy Bob! Thanks for pointing it out, i wasn’t aware of that. So, dunno if its really neccessary but i better change the license to gpl2, just to be sure…

#4 2011-03-22 00:19:16

maverick
Website

Themroc

lum_usermenu will render a blank page when used on a multi-site install that utilizes a separate/sub-domain admin.

#5 2011-03-22 14:50:46

Themroc
Plugin Author

Thanks for pointing this out. I’ve set up a “Multi-Site with Separate Admin Area” as described in /txp/sites/README.txt. After some tweaking (in /txp/sites/siteX/admin/index.php, i had to add

if (!defined('txpath'))
   define("txpath", $txpcfg['txpath']);

) and fumbling with the DB i finally got it running. However, i couldn’t reproduce the mentionend error. With Textpattern version 4.3.0 (r3451) interpreted by PHP 5.3.2-2 w/ Suhosin Patch 0.9.9.1 run per fastcgi by lighttpd/1.4.26 under linux/2.6.18 it worked, only the icons weren’t shown. This is fixed now in v0.9.2. If it still doesn’t work for you, please let me know which software you have installed.

Cheers!

#6 2011-03-22 16:55:41

jpdupont

Hello,

Impossible to activate/install :

I get this error message :

Fatal error: func_get_args(): Can't be used as a function parameter in /home/www/3370847b68efbfb60754cc52abf91b35/web/formation/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(540) : eval()'d code(127) : eval()'d code on line 1

#7 2011-03-22 17:18:51

maverick
Website

Thanks Themroc

In double checking what version my software was running at, I found that my php was still at 5.2.15 fastCGI on the admin subdomains. (I could have swore I had upgraded those two admin subdomains).

I now am running php 5.3.5 fastCGI and the problem is gone.

I know it was a combination of multi-site and php. For testing purposes I have a symlink on one of the sites that allows me to login from the main domain (www.mydomain.com/textpattern) or from the actual admin subdomain. It worked using the main domain /symlink but broke on the admin.mydomain.com under 5.2.15; but is now working both ways under 5.3.5.

I’ll update the notation on the multi-site quirks thread.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2011-03-22 17:20:03)

#8 2011-03-22 18:14:04

maverick
Website

A couple of thoughts:

I’ve done some limited client testing and the response to the Go menu ideas is extremely positive. The idea that all the main shortcuts are available without hunting through tabs or drop downs is very well received. For the more visual oriented, the use of graphics is excellent.

I would suggest that since people seem to view this as a navigation tool more than a dashboard / shortcut panel, that installing it as a tab prevents it from realizing a greater potential. It seems to me that it is more comparable to the quicklink drop down menu we see in the classic, remora themes, and various other themes.

My suggestions from a use/workflow standpoint (only fwiw)

1. Move the help link to a location on the preference panel
  2. Move the preference panel to the Admin tab (thus keeping it available to all privileges) and/or creating an “options” link accessible from the plugins page
  3. Move the Go menu to Txp’s header as a replacement for the quicklink drop down menu. This will make it always visible from anywhere in the backend.
  4. Move the location to the far left corner, or at least to the far left of the navigation menu (between the Txp logo and the Content tab or Home tab if it is being used).
  5. Use a modal window (semi-transparent sheet) / iframe – similar to how wet_quicklink and bot_image_upload work. This feels more integrated than clicking from where you are, to the “Go” tab, then clicking again to where you want to be.
  6. Have the modal window scale open and closed on a diagonal from the upper left to lower right.
  7. When you click on the preferred link, the window closes and you go to your selected location.
  8. Not sure if clicking the window open would be preferable or to have it open on hover. I suspect on hover, by reducing the extra click it would help the menu feel even more integrated and less like an extra step.

Anyhow – just some thoughts on how this could become a major part of Txp’s workflow. Again, just fwiw

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2011-03-22 18:23:18)

#9 2011-03-22 19:57:27

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Interested in checking this out but I get an error upon install:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function lum_p_v_def() in /path/to/my/site/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(525) : eval()'d code on line 18

Then I saw it requires the lum_p plugin which I tried to install and I got:

Fatal error: func_get_args(): Can't be used as a function parameter in /path/to/my/site/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(525) : eval()'d code(127) : eval()'d code on line 1
Textpattern version: 4.3.0 (r3451)
PHP version: 5.2.16

Last edited by MattD (2011-03-22 20:00:07)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#10 2011-03-22 20:06:09

maverick
Website

Do you have “lum_p” installed?

lum_usermenu requires it. lum_p has to be installed first. It appears lum_usermenu checks for it during the install, and if it’s not there, the install process doesn’t fail very gracefully – as you can see.

edit 1:

your edit beat my reply :)

Are you still getting the error when installing lum_p first?

edit 2

For clarity, I should have also mentioned that lum_p needs to be enabled prior to install lum_usermenu

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2011-03-22 20:15:34)

#11 2011-03-22 20:20:57

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Yes, I got the second error when installing lum_p. The install completed even though the error showed but I was then unable to uninstall lum_p without getting an error again. I had to delete the row from txp_plugin.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#12 2011-03-22 21:05:44

maverick
Website

MattD

I just upgraded to lum_usermenu v0.9.2 and lum_p v0.2

In my case, though, I had forgot to enable lum_p before upgrading lum_usermenu. Other than that, the install went okay for me. Sorry I can’t be of more help w/ your error.

Thermoc

You threw me with the change on the icon location! I had a moment of bewilderment when I saw no icons on the Go menu, and the missing drop down, and “no icons” message on the edit tab. I couldn’t figure out where my icons went! LOL.

Then I read the help thoroughly and saw you had changed the folder structure. I like the change, though. I was a bit uncomfortable with the icon folder in textpattern’s main folder – especially with needing the extra symlink with the multi-install and subdomain admin.

fwiw – I only have the one symlink – from my admin folder to the web folder and everything seems to be working fine. Is there something specific we need the symlink from the public folder to the web for? (the only think I can think of is maybe a web-based upload access for the icons?)

Thanks

Mike

Board footer