Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-02-12 13:51:32

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

[wiki] Official documentation help, please

Following up the broken link gaekwad discovered I have fixed a bunch more such links. But it’s clear that we really need a broader effort to bring our docs and faqs up to date. Hence:

A request to the Txp community:

Sharp eyes needed to pore over Textpattern Documentation and textpattern.com to find broken or outdated links, plus any other corrections or improvements to the text. Post your suggestions here; I will log changes in this message to help us avoid duplication of effort.

Let’s make this a sprint over the next week, and really do a thorough housecleaning.

Edit: For now, let’s focus on current Wiki pages, while we sort out moving the FAQ list to the Wiki. If you don’t already have a Wiki account, please sign up so you can edit in situ. It will still be helpful to post a brief summary here, so others know which pages still need review.

Wiki pages

Page Status Todo
Plugins Alphabetical by Name Deprecated Terminate?
Plugin Archive Deprecated Terminate?
Plugins Grouped by Purpose Deprecated Terminate?
Many plugin documentation/download pages linked from the above pages Live Deprecate?

Last edited by jsoo (2011-02-12 17:01:09)

Code is topiary

#2 2011-02-12 14:21:55

els

Re: [wiki] Official documentation help, please

Wouldn’t it be better to just start moving the FAQs to the wiki? As gaekwad says: “it seems crazy to have a developer fix apostrophes in an FAQ entry” ;)

It’s silly, but I can’t find Destry’s topic about this… What if we quickly moved the FAQ, do the editing in the wiki, and then finish Destry’s inventory? I have some time this weekend to start working on the move…

Last edited by els (2011-02-12 14:28:03)

#3 2011-02-12 14:31:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I’m happy to help – it’s something I can do. I have applied for wiki gnome status, when that comes through I will pick through.

#4 2011-02-12 14:39:08

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re moving the FAQ, some discussion in a recent topic. I’m all for it, but I’m not so sure about the “quickly”. An automated move would be tricky; manually creating the Textpattern Documentation pages would be a pain.

Code is topiary

#5 2011-02-12 15:01:21

maverick
Website

Destry wrote on Jan. 5, 2011

I’m doing an inventory on the FAQs now, as Bloke hinted to, and I could start one for the forum and add a few line items to show what that would look like. I’ll keep that on my list of to dos for the near future.

A bit older – mapped out some direction I think?

Have FAQs had their day?

Last edited by maverick (2011-02-12 15:06:15)

#6 2011-02-12 15:28:45

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

OK, given that it’s not just a matter of moving the FAQs en masse, but also weeding out the defunct ones and doing a general editing pass, I think we’re looking at manually creating the pages on the Wiki. One thing I can do to make this easier is to convert the FAQ entry text from Textile to MediaWiki format, which I will attempt to do (using pandoc). Any other ideas about how to proceed, chime in.

Code is topiary

#7 2011-02-12 17:54:30

els

jsoo wrote:

One thing I can do to make this easier is to convert the FAQ entry text from Textile to MediaWiki format, which I will attempt to do (using pandoc).

Oh that’s nice, I didn’t know it existed, but just found it in the Debian repos. Thanks for the tip!

#8 2011-02-18 13:07:42

Destry
Website

Sorry, all. I’ve been a little busy helping to get the CS Forum 2011 site up which launched Monday. (The blog part is Txp. Woot! The main site is custom django with some Google API worked in.)

I’m going to give Jeff and Robert access to the FAQ inventory I started (anyone else, give me an email). I’d hoped to be further along at this point but paying gigs have priority.

The inventory won’t take long if a few more people are working on it, and it will be better and save time to finish it first and map where content will go in the wiki rather than create a big temporary cancer of FAQs in the wiki to cut out later. Trust me.

The inventory will make sense when you see it. The only thing missing is the source FAQ link (where they are at currently) which is just ridiculous right now in .com

#9 2011-02-18 14:04:08

els

Destry wrote:

The only thing missing is the source FAQ link (where they are at currently) which is just ridiculous right now in .com

I will add them this weekend. Have been meaning to do so, but forgot about it, sorry.

Board footer