Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-10-13 22:29:42

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

New "Start" tab

I was looking at the new “esq_adminsplash” plugin and I modified it to use the new tab but it only displays on login. There is no “Start” tab in the menu so if I want to go back to it I have re-log in. Am I doing something wrong or is that what is supposed to happen? Also I notice that in the “Preferences/Advanced” drop-down list it is displaying “tab_start” so language file addition required there methinks.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#2 2010-10-13 22:46:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: New "Start" tab

thebombsite wrote:

I modified it to use the new tab but it only displays on login.

Steve (net-carver) is best placed to answer this one as he’s used the tab quite a bit already and it was his patch. I tried his demo plugin and I can tell you that it does stay there throughout your admin side wanderings so maybe it’s a feature of cain-mi’s plugin in this case? Don’t think Steve did anything extra clever in his plugin and, as far as I could test, the Start tab acts pretty much like a standard tab and operates like Extensions insofar as if it’s unused it’s hidden but if it’s used it stays there. If you wanted to throw the code at me I could take a look.

EDIT: oh, you might try adding this line to the code:

add_privs('tab.start','1,2,3,4,5,6');

The start tab doesn’t have default privs set up like the Extensions tab so it’s up to plugin authors to specify who can see it, and when. This is kinda by design because you may only want it to appear once on login or you may want it to be there all the time or only for certain users.

Also I notice that in the “Preferences/Advanced” drop-down list it is displaying “tab_start” so language file addition required there methinks.

Right you are. Must remember to add that one before launch, thanks. Is ‘Start’ the right word for it or can you think of anything better? (plugins could always override this of course).

Last edited by Bloke (2010-10-13 22:56:57)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2010-10-13 23:20:29

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Aha! That extra line did the trick. Naturally it shows up as “tab_start” but I can wait until you fix that.

As for plugins being able to override the menu name, I don’t think so. What if you have more than one plugin in that tab and they are both arguing over the name?

Anyway I promise I shall learn this PHP stuff before I get my bus pass. Oh shit! Doesn’t give me much time does it?

Stuart

#4 2010-10-13 23:26:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

Aha! That extra line did the trick.

Good show.

As for plugins being able to override the menu name, I don’t think so.

wet_babble I meant. In theory, plugins can rename any tabs as they’re just language strings.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2010-10-13 23:42:37

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Stands back in shocked amazement! Well let’s hope there aren’t too many that want to try it.

As for a name for the tab, I have no idea that wouldn’t be disputed by others methinks. “Start” seems to be fairly open. “Help” might be another though I’m thinking that a standard “dashboard” type plugin might not be considered as help. “Appendix” maybe or “Supplements” might be better. Testy one this. ;)

Stuart

#6 2010-10-14 00:33:44

maverick
Website

Suggestions of possible alternate names – some much better than others

“Dashboard” (a bit overused, but intuitive)

“Home”

“MyPage”

“MyTxp” (Apropos for Textpattern, but I suspect custom backends want to hide all Textpattern branding)

“Desktop” (probably confusing)

“Control Panel” (EE terminology/arguably a misnomer)

“Inbox” (Probably Confusing, but could be apt)

“Welcome”

fwiw

#7 2010-10-14 01:13:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks Mike. I did wonder if Start was too Windows-y. Welcome is nice; Home is perhaps better. Gives a cosy warm feeling.

I’d be tempted to stay away from the others. Dashboard is too specific (and plugins may well put ‘dashboard’ as the first tab underneath the top level tab). As you say, the remaining suggestions all have alter egos in other worlds which might be misinterpreted.

Any advances on Home, anyone?

#8 2010-10-14 06:45:10

candyman

“hello.”

#9 2010-10-14 12:20:44

maverick
Website

I also liked “Home” the best of the brainstorm I shared above.

And “Start” has merit – even if it is windowsee ;P

#10 2010-10-14 12:25:45

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

May I suggest “End”. I like Doory terms.

#11 2010-10-14 13:26:27

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Jukka you are such an iconoclast!

How about “Curtains?”; “Fin?” or even, “Pushing Up The Daisies?” (The last one for wide-screen installations only.)

Steve

#12 2010-10-14 13:54:27

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

net-carver wrote:

Jukka you are such an iconoclast!

Iconoclasm is such a strong word :D

Now when you reminded me of religions, may I suggest Slide to unlock.

Board footer