Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2010-04-08 00:40:01

goncalo.dumas
Website

Re: smd_tags: unlimited article, image, file and link taxonomy

Hello!

Indeed, great big plugin!

Just a quick question: is the parent attribute in the smd_tag_list tag still kaput?

#86 2010-04-10 22:41:31

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Stef,

I would like to publish a bilingual website (english/french).
In smd_tags, is it possible to translate tags with MLP plugin or in an other way ?

Thanks for your work

Nicolas

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#87 2010-04-13 11:07:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Here’s a maintenance release that fixes some loooooong overdue bugs and adds a few featurettes:

• Fixed parent attribute in smd_tag_list (thanks woof, and it answers this)
  • Enhanced sublevel attribute so it’s more intelligent regarding the current level and also enabled rudimentary comparisons e.g. sublevel=">1" only shows levels 2,3,4, etc. Also allowed sublevel="all" which automatically includes the chosen parent
  • Fixed smd_if_tag so it correctly compares empty strings (thanks johnstephens, sorry it took so long)
  • Fixed admin side bugs when privs less than Managing Editor (thanks smd_faux_role ;-)
  • Fixed slow response when saving tags
  • Fixed tag category list when no cat(s) selected
  • Tidied Tag Manager layout (labels and borders are more consistent)
  • Added pad_str and pad_pos to smd_tag_name
  • Warning messages now blink

Grab the latest beta v0.31 and see how it flies.

EDIT: Damn, this thing’s been in beta longer than most of Google’s code and that’s saying something…

NicolasGraph

As far as I’m aware, tag translation is not currently possible. A workaround might be to maintain two tag lists — one for each language — under a tag with the same name as the language itself (e.g. en-gb and fr-fr). With some cleverness (and perhaps linking the tags to a category?) you may be able to only show one set of tags depending on which current language is set. I’ve never tried it so I don’t know how far you’ll get, but it might be worth a shot. If I can help in this regard in the next version of the plugin, I will do what I can.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-04-13 11:23:17)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#88 2010-04-13 11:36:24

woof

Nice one – thanks Bloke!

#89 2010-04-13 14:37:20

merz1
Website

@Bloke What about grabbing the keywords from the TXP keyword field?
Or as a workaround a smart MySQL order for dbadmin?

Edit: Compliments – Just installed it out of curiosity and read the help. Man, what a beast :)

Last edited by merz1 (2010-04-13 15:00:24)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#90 2010-04-13 15:32:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

merz1 wrote:

@Bloke What about grabbing the keywords from the TXP keyword field?

You mean, to automatically configure them as article tags in smd_tags?

For reference, from the OP… “Todo: Import article tags from tru_tags and rss_unlimited_categories”

If I wrote that importer, would that cover it?

Or as a workaround a smart MySQL order for dbadmin?

Not sure what you mean here. What should smd_tags be doing (apart from the stuff I know I haven’t written yet, as listed in the OP!)

Compliments – Just installed it out of curiosity and read the help. Man, what a beast :)

Thanks. It’s quite a labour of love/hate this one. It was a pretty much a solid 6 months dev time initially (well, in my spare time at least) then I got disillusioned with it. But with what I’ve learnt recently it’s starting to come together again. Still a way to go yet before I’m truly happy with it. The thing I’m most pleased with is smd_related_tags; it was an absolute pig to write and debug, but it’s insanely flexible once you get your head round it. The hardest part was automatically figuring out the current TXP / tag context and creating the queries based on that info.

The next major things to accomplish are the autotag dumbdown and the multiple URL filters (site.com/tags/article/tag1+tag2+tag3+... to give you a list of articles that contain ALL those tags. At the moment I think it only does OR (tag1|tag2|tag3). Then I need to invent some way of getting those tags up there when you click on them without losing the ones you’re filtering by already…(!)

Pagination should be fairly easy, since I’ve done it in smd_xml and smd_query so with luck it’s a copy, paste ‘n’ tweak job. But there are a few additional complexities with this plugin that’ll probably bite me. Finally there’s the tag cloud which is ‘easy’… when I get motivated to sit down and figure out the best way to implement it. Once that lot’s done I’ll call it an official plugin I think. And about time too.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#91 2010-04-13 15:52:41

merz1
Website

If I wrote that importer, would that cover it?

Yes :) tru_tags is using the default TXP keywords data field.

A ‘MySQL order’ would simply (?, not sure we are talking Bloke thingies here :) do a one time import into the appropriate smd_tags table fields.

Regarding the future I have two wishes:

1. Better support for tagging in a well performing way inside TXP core. I have no idea yet how much database power this beast smd_tags sucks in at the moment.
  2. The boolean logic request I had in the very beginning (buried somewhere in the tru_tags thread). Looks like you are on a good way with this :)

Right now I run smd_tags in passive mode just to have a look at the help from time to time :)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#92 2010-04-14 13:20:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

merz1 wrote:

I have no idea yet how much database power this beast smd_tags sucks in at the moment.

Actually, for all the code it’s suprisingly light. On a page it runs one big query which returns everything there is to know about the tags in the current context. It makes arrays indexed in various different ways (for speed to save me having to search through them later) and then goes about normal TXP business.

Whenever it hits an smd_tags tag it uses these global arrays to read out the relevant info wherever possible. The exceptions are:

• to get the content counts in smd_tag_list
  • to get related items in smd_related_tags

The latter runs one extra query in total to grab the related content; the counts, however, consume one quick query per matching tag to grab the number of times that tag is used. There may be some cacheing I can do somewhere to optimise the number of count queries I do — I’ll have to look into that — but I’m pleased with the client side performance considering the amount of power it delivers.

#93 2010-04-14 13:43:15

merz1
Website

@Bloke You see me hooked up (proper English?).

Hand over the keywords2smd_tags sync tool and you see me playing with the beast a little :)

1. Initial import of existing tags from keyword field
  2. Proper sync keywords2smd_tags and/or vice versa

I am offering a couple of keywords so this could be fun to play with.

Thanks! :-)

#94 2010-04-17 07:35:14

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke a écrit:

As far as I’m aware, tag translation is not currently possible. A workaround might be to maintain two tag lists — one for each language — under a tag with the same name as the language itself (e.g. en-gb and fr-fr). With some cleverness (and perhaps linking the tags to a category?) you may be able to only show one set of tags depending on which current language is set. I’ve never tried it so I don’t know how far you’ll get, but it might be worth a shot. If I can help in this regard in the next version of the plugin, I will do what I can.

Ok, Thanks Bloke !

Finally, for the public side, I added new values in txp_lang tab for every tags and translate with MLP.
In my linklist form I used <txp:text item=’<txp:smd_tag_info item=“name” />’ /> to diplay the en-gb or fr-fr tags.

It doesn’t work for the admin side but I simply add a bilingual title tag in smd_tags management.

If it can help someone…

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2010-04-17 11:38:06)

Nicolas

#95 2010-06-07 14:17:44

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Hi, is it possible to display an entire smd_tag_list (independant to the context) ?

Thanks

Nicolas

#96 2010-06-07 14:27:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote:

is it possible to display an entire smd_tag_list (independant to the context) ?

Not easily at the moment, no. You’ll be wanting the smd_tag_cloud function that’s not been written yet :-(

Board footer