Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#613 2009-11-25 01:26:03

speeke
Website

Re: glz_custom_fields

I’m a bit confused about what each of the following do (ie where are the results of these options displayed?):

1. admin > plugins > glz_custom_fields options
Custom Sets Ordering
Order for custom field values = as entered/ascending/descending

I have changed these values, but can’t see where the changes are reflected in Txp admin.

2. admin > preferences basic
values_ordering = custom

Why is this textbox available to modify? What does “custom” mean, and can this be changed to something else?

Thnx in advance.

“People who value their privileges above their principles soon lose both.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower

#614 2009-11-25 19:18:04

Cantide
Website

1. To my understanding, if you were to create something like a Checkbox-Type custom field, and entered a bunch of values, Custom Sets Ordering would control the alphabetical/numerical order of the resulting fields.

They would be in both the Article ‘Write’ interface where those custom fields were available to interact with, and in your Article output, through the <txp:custom_field name="fieldname" /> tag.

I guess that’s helpful for custom fields that you add values to over time, but don’t want to manually sort them alphabetically each time.

2. In admin > prefs > basic > values_ordering — that’s exactly the same variable as available in Plugins options: Order for custom field values — it’s linked to this one. I don’t think these options should be available in Admin > Prefs — as they’re for a specific plugin, not TXP itself.

Feature request!:)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Cantide (2009-11-25 19:18:29)

#615 2009-11-25 20:41:41

speeke
Website

Hi Cantide,

Thanks for your replies.

1. Makes sense – I don’t have a checkbox type custom field so that explains why I haven’t seen the results of changing this option.

2. If that’s true, then my value of custom in values ordering should be as entered to match the option in Order for custom field values. Not sure where custom came from. I wonder, should I change it???

Dwight D. Eisenhower

#616 2009-11-25 23:28:21

redbot
Plugin Author

speeke wrote:

…If that’s true, then my value of custom in values ordering should be as entered to match the option in Order for custom field values.
Not sure where custom came from. I wonder, should I change it???

No. Plugins preferences should be changed from the plugins tab only.

BTW – Sarah, Gerhard and all, I noticed there must be some little problem with txp 4.2 as even with other plugins preferences are showing in the “basic preferences” tab when they shouldn’t.
This seems to happen only if a value is set for column “html” in the “txp_prefs” table.

Last edited by redbot (2009-11-25 23:32:20)

#617 2009-11-29 21:39:42

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

rebdot wrote:

BTW – Sarah, Gerhard and all, I noticed there must be some little problem with txp 4.2 as even with other plugins preferences are showing in the “basic preferences” tab when they shouldn’t. This seems to happen only if a value is set for column “html” in the “txp_prefs” table.

Luca, thanks for your input mate. The problem with plugin configuration values has been addressed, it will be fixed in the next revision.

NEW WAY TO SUBMIT BUGS AND REQUEST FEATURES + MUCH MORE

Hope that got your attention : ).

All, there is a new public glz_custom_fields repo on github which will be used for wiki & bug reports + feature requests. There is no source code there, only plugin documentation. This forum thread has become a bit crazy, finding anything helpful on the plugin is nearly impossible.

I would like to highlight the Issues tab where all bugs & feature requests should be filed. This is important because we’re finally getting a sense of what’s coming, when and, most importantly, you decide what gets done next. Vote for what you want me to code next and I will oblige. After all, it’s your plugin just as much as it’s mine.

Bugs will always have top priority and will be dealt with first, so if other issues will get done before the most voted one, you will know why.

Also, if you have any stuff you want to put into the wiki, set yourself up with a github account and get creating/editing that wiki page.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to do any coding on the plugin this month (well, what’s left of it), but I do hope that you’ll find the above addition helpful. This plugin has become more successful than I would have ever thought, and to take it even further a better way to gather & distribute information was necessary.

For those that have been expecting to see new things this month, worry not, Christmas is just around the corner : ).

#618 2009-11-29 23:40:07

whaleen
Website

Gerhard wrote:

All, there is a new public glz_custom_fields repo on github which will be used for wiki & bug reports + feature requests. There is no source code there, only plugin documentation. This forum thread has become a bit crazy, finding anything helpful on the plugin is nearly impossible.

I agree and that’s great to move the conversation to a possibly more accommodating place. We’ll see. Thanks Gerhard. No bugs to report at the moment.

Last edited by whaleen (2009-11-29 23:40:35)

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#619 2009-12-01 20:32:34

jstubbs
Website

Hi Gerhard, the Github bugs/issues seems a great idea – except it means creating a Github account, and I’d rather not :-)

A quick question re a previous post – I still have this problem. Your setting is a little confusing because you can set the ordering in Preferences (its custom for me) and in Plugins > Options (As entered for me).

My countries list displays correctly in Extension > Custom Fields, but NOT in my form drop down field. Not sure why this is..

Edit: Forgot to say my States list is fine. Tags are like:

<txp:mem_glz_select name="article_custom_2" required="1" label="State/Province" break="" custom_field="2" />
<txp:mem_glz_select name="article_custom_3" required="1" label="Country" break="" custom_field="3" />

Last edited by jstubbs (2009-12-01 20:34:32)

#620 2009-12-02 01:17:45

speeke
Website

jstubbs wrote:

except it means creating a Github account, and I’d rather not :-)

I would rather not create a Github account either, although I notice that I can at least vote for features without logging in.

Your setting is a little confusing because you can set the ordering in Preferences (its custom for me) and in Plugins > Options (As entered for me).

I would also like to understand these a little better.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

#621 2009-12-02 04:20:30

speeke
Website

I have tried to change a custom field type text input to select (the DB table updates properly as a result). However, when I edit an article to select the custom field, all the selections come up as custom_field_name0 rather than the list of entries in the DB table.

Has anyone else tried to change the custom field type in this manner, and got similar results?

Dwight D. Eisenhower

#622 2009-12-02 05:17:44

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

jstubbs wrote:

My countries list displays correctly in Extension > Custom Fields, but NOT in my form drop down field. Not sure why this is..

It’s not using a pretty display function on the default prefs page. On the plugin options page, the select values map to “ascending”, “descending” and “custom”.

…mem_glz_select sort errors…

I fixed mem_glz_select so it uses the same sorting logic as glz_custom_fields.

#623 2009-12-02 16:35:23

whaleen
Website

Re: Github: A thread for each issue is a step in the right direction IMHO and that is what we have over there now if we choose it. I’ve often though that some of the more popular plugin here in the TXP forums, for the benefit of devs and end-users, could use their own forum. The benefits are too many to list. There can be so many different topics that arise within one thread and the ability to sub-group them in my opinion would be really nice. Not only could these sub-threads be issue-related, as in support-related, they could also be based on implementations. If a group of users exists that tend to use the plugin for a like purpose they could pool discussion and you’d end up with sub-thread with a use-case quality to it.

Sub Thread types:

• Feature Requests
  • Bugs / Issues
  • Implementations

Then your getting into sub-sub-forums… Maybe too far but still, an example of classification of the main discussion types. Maybe TXP could benefit from sub-forum with universal login solution for it’s plugins. You could do that here in the existing one and if there were the option to categorize new threads then you’d be set. Sorry to take that idea that far but it seems reasonable to me. Anyway it looks like Gerhard want to use Github and I went ahead over there to make a couple remarks on the issue posts he made. I support his choice to use Github because I can see how it will make things easier on everybody so hopefully others will give it a try to find out if it will work well overall.

Last edited by whaleen (2009-12-02 16:38:07)

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#624 2009-12-03 15:27:53

jstubbs
Website

Anyone know how to set an initial blank value in a drop down select, forcing the user to choose an option?

Board footer