Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2009-09-29 13:46:46

towndock
Website

Re: Detailed instructions on how to create a site with textpattern?

Textpattern posters have been extremely kind, supportive, helpful and even critical of themselves through this thread. The original poster had a rather oblique question – and despite that after being provided with support was really just simply rude.

MODx has a pretty site. I have looked at the admin demos before. It doesn’t make sense to me – which isn’t to say it doesn’t make sense – the structure just isn’t quickly logical – to me. This appears to have been the case with Textpattern for the original poster.

We all had a point when we checked out several different CMSs. For some reason, for my brain Textpattern was the easiest to use. It works, I love it. My site(s) could be done with MODx – but I don’t get it. I’m sure they could be done with Drupal, but I think I could more easily figure out Rubik’s Cube and interplanetary space travel.

Textpattern’s site (and forum) have a rather sparse look. It works. It won’t appeal to some. But Google and the New York Times site have a sparse look compared to some too.

At some point when someone is rude towards free software and free support… tweaking the wiki ain’t gonna make ‘em happy.

Thank you for the support I read here. 4.20 is great – and so is the kind and civil support on this forum.

#38 2009-09-29 14:02:57

nabrown78
Website

I agree on the forum – the search sucks and the look is dated.

This has really been a stumbling block for me at times. The search on this forum is really poor, and it sometimes even prevents you from finding content you know exists! I don’t know anything about forum software…I’m sure it would be extremely difficult to port old content to a new system, but if the search could be improved that would help immensely.

#39 2009-09-29 14:10:06

masa

nabrown78 wrote:

I’m sure it would be extremely difficult to port old content to a new system, but if the search could be improved that would help immensely.

Agreed, search isn’t useful.
I resort to google most of the time. A string like   site:forum.textpattern.com (your search terms here)   does the trick.

#40 2009-09-29 14:17:42

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

smdnetau put up a few videos demonstrating how he converted a static website to textpattern.

Last edited by MattD (2009-09-29 14:18:25)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#41 2009-09-29 15:45:15

towndock
Website

“the search on this forum is really poor”

OK – can’t argue there.

#42 2009-09-29 16:43:14

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

I’d argue that “really poor” is giving it way too much credit for usefulness.

Code is topiary

#43 2009-09-29 16:57:38

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

jsoo wrote:

I’d argue that “really poor” is giving it way too much credit for usefulness.

especially considering a ton of the most useful TXP information is generally buried in the forum somewhere and the fact that plugin developers generally use a forum thread for feedback/troubleshooting etc etc.

unless someone has been around for a long time, i can’t see a new user going to the plugin author support section and wading through half of the threads there that run from 30 to 140+ pages each! especially with the inability to actually search within a thread.

is the general consensus saying that this particular forum finally has to go/be updated? how is this forum heavily modded anyway? i know mary did some magical work in the backend to ‘improve’ the search functionality though i have no idea how.

Last edited by iblastoff (2009-09-29 17:01:23)

#44 2009-09-29 19:49:35

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

iblastoff wrote:

is the general consensus saying that this particular forum finally has to go/be updated? how is this forum heavily modded anyway? i know mary did some magical work in the backend to ‘improve’ the search functionality though i have no idea how.

If those in charge would like to seriously explore moving to another forum, then a new thread can be started where we can talk openly about the pros and cons of a move and what software to use. The front page is getting a makeover, sure would be nice to have a new forum to go with it.

#45 2009-09-29 19:59:38

jstubbs
Website

Good idea Bert – opened a thread here

#46 2009-09-29 20:28:39

els

jstubbs wrote:

Good idea Bert – opened a thread here

Please continue the discussion about the forum software in Jonathan’s thread. Jonathan, I took the liberty to move it to ‘Forum and website’ :)

Interesting to see how this topic developed. Useful discussion, nice ideas, but I find it a lot of attention for a new user who moves away from Txp to another CMS after one day, and to yet another one the next day…
We have places for ideas and contributions for the forum and Textbook, please use them. Reading them from time to time wouldn’t be a bad idea either… ;)

#47 2009-09-29 22:33:16

kvnmcwebn
Website

Agreed El’s but let me just add that I found txp difficult at first as being more of a visual. The way I learned was by installing the templates that most closely mirrored what I wanted to do. Then over time dissecting them and that’s how I learned mostly. I still have a lot to learn but now I see the flexibility of txp and understand…

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#48 2009-09-29 23:24:58

els

Hi Kevin,

Because people have different ways of learning – seeing it (video), reading about it (the book, Destry’s articles), doing it (like you, work from an existing template) – I see no reason why Textbook couldn’t have a set of tutorials that cover the same subject but are presented in different ways.

Board footer