Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2009-09-14 21:47:51

artagesw
Developer
Website

Re: Sites outside main TXP directory (multisite install)

Glad you got it working and thanks for posting the tip. One suggestion… Your tip gives the impression that you need to download Textpattern for every domain you install or upgrade (the “wget/tar” step). This is not the case. You only need to run that step the first time you install (or upgrade to) a given version of Textpattern.

Following the steps in your tip, you are going to end up with an extra (unused) copy of Textpattern in every domain directory.

#32 2009-09-15 07:14:50

jstubbs
Website

Ok I think I just downloaded it again without thinking too much. I also wanted to check how it worked, because when I first installed it in the main domain I had some issues.

I have edited the Tip – please check and if any changes required post a comment or let me know here. Thanks again!

TXP Tips | @txptips | Me | @jonathanstubbs | Github

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp @txpbuilders

#33 2009-09-15 20:04:06

jstubbs
Website

Sam – another question. I have updated all the sites on Joyent successfully with the exception of my home site.

In that sub-domain I have extra installs for the two templates I created:

/users/home/me/domains/jonathanstubbs.com/web/public/textpattern
/users/home/me/domains/jonathanstubbs.com/web/public/txp-minima/textpattern
/users/home/me/domains/jonathanstubbs.com/web/public/txp-minima-photoblog/textpattern

What’s the best way of handling this?

#34 2009-09-15 20:27:17

artagesw
Developer
Website

Why are these separate installs instead of txp sections?

#35 2009-09-15 20:30:21

jstubbs
Website

I made it that way some time ago – the installs are for two TXP templates I made. Links below. Might be a way to put them in sections but I haven’t figured out how to yet ;-)

Last edited by jstubbs (2009-09-15 20:30:52)

#36 2009-09-15 20:47:32

artagesw
Developer
Website

I suggest putting them into sections. Each section can have its own page template. Multi-site is not designed to support nested installations like this.

#37 2009-09-16 07:41:36

jstubbs
Website

That would be a good idea and I’ll work on that. This would be a good use-case for sub-sections!

One more question – in the base install of multi-sites we have /web/textpattern/textpattern – just wondering why the second folder is required or if I missed something.

#38 2011-01-04 13:21:48

jstubbs
Website

Has anyone successfully upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 in a multi-site setup? Have to do this sometime and any feedback appreciated. Using the Joyent script by Sam.

#39 2011-01-04 14:21:08

jsoo
Developer
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Has anyone successfully upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 in a multi-site setup? Have to do this sometime and any feedback appreciated. Using the Joyent script by Sam.

Yes. I don’t use Sam’s script, and my setup is slightly different from the stock multisite configuration. Here’s a sketch of the file tree I’m using:

shared/
	js/
		editarea_0_8_2/
		jquery.cycle/
txp/
	multisite/
		rpc/
		sites/
			bar.com/
				admin/
				private/
				public/
					.htaccess -> ../../htaccess/.htaccess
					css/
					css.php
					files/
					images/
					index.php
					jquery.js -> ../../../../textpattern/jquery.js
					js/
						jquery.cycle -> ../../../../../../shared/js/jquery.cycle/

foo.com/ htaccess/ .htaccess textpattern -> ../src/textpattern-4.3.0/textpattern/ textpattern-4.2.0 -> ../src/textpattern-4.2.0/textpattern/ textpattern-4.x -> ../src/4.x/textpattern/ plugin_cache/ src/ 4.x/ textpattern-4.2.0/ textpattern-4.3.0/

The main difference being the textpattern item at the top level of the multisite directory. This is a symlink to the actual textpattern directory of the chosen Txp version in the src directory. To upgrade all sites, all I need is to change this symlink. (As you can see, I keep standby symlinks to the various Txp versions ready, so I just need to rename the symlinks to swap versions.)

Other notes:

I use a common .htaccess file for all sites that don’t have special requirements. Again, easier upgrade path.

This is my local setup, so I also have the plugin cache in there. (I really do not recommend using a plugin cache on live sites.)

The shared directory at the very top level contains javascript packages in use on various sites, including non-Txp sites. An example symlink is shown in bar.com/public/js/. Also note the symlink to jquery.js. This is a symlink to another symlink. Yes, this works.

Couple of other notes

Txp tags not doing what you expect? Learn to use a tag trace. And the Tag Reference.

#40 2011-03-29 08:37:26

jstubbs
Website

Jeff, now that you are a developer, will you be looking into the multi-site feature in order to make it easier to upgrade from one version to the next? At the moment it is not so easy for non-experts in symlinks.

Board footer