Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-04-20 09:01:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Microsoft surface: ummm, not quite

One of my many areas of interest is user interface design; specifically the cognitive appeal of a site’s content — don’t look at any of the sites I’ve written as examples: I didn’t say I was good at it :-p

Part of the reason I love Textpattern is the fact there are so many talented designers out there who make stunningly beautiful, eye-catching and intuitive sites that work at the cognitive level. It’s perhaps stuff the majority of site visitors don’t necessarily perceive directly, but is there if you know where to look by virtue of the fact the site does everything you expect, when you expect it. TXP seems to attract designers who are better at it than most: hats off to you all.

So let’s turn to Micro$oft and their arguably Apple-ish Surface platform. Let’s see how cognitive a $17000 piece of hardware is, shall we? (and forgive the site for being written with Wordpress!)

Though the plight of the people in the article focuses initially on the physical characteristics instead of the software — which I’m sure is amazing — this sort of thing makes me appreciate TXP as an engine even more than I already do. The out-of-the-box experience is great; the interface is quick, clean, logical, and doesn’t usually get in the way, which gives you this nice glow about the competence of the system from the get-go.

And we all know that adage about first impressions…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer