Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1141 2009-01-05 20:05:09

azw

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

It’s good to know that subdomains work. Thanks, Els.

#1142 2009-01-05 22:15:06

els

beztak wrote:

TXP 4.0.8rc1 and MLP 0.9.11 – on a Section page disappear fileds for title section translations, only default is there. I didn’t test TXP 4.0.7 and MLP 0.9.11 yet. Maybe the problem could be there too. I will try to test.

Edit: and also Category, Image, File… fields.

I can confirm the missing language fields in the Sections, Categories, and Images tabs. They are there in the Links and Files tabs. (fresh 4.0.8rc1 install and MLP 0.9.11)

Edit: the missing category title language fields make it impossible to assign a category to an article/image/link/file when your admin language is not the default one. Or rather, you can assign a category but you have to do it blindfolded, as the category titles are not displayed in the dropdown.

Last edited by els (2009-01-05 23:22:06)

#1143 2009-01-07 23:14:33

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

thanks for the recent updates. I’m somewhat behind with the thread and keeping up with things. However, I have managed to dig into Kjeld’s issue with ob1_pagination and the MLP pack. It’s down to an inability of the MLP pack to rewrite relative URLs correctly — it’s an issue that’s going to arise with any plugin that outputs relative URLs I’m afraid.

However, all is not lost — here’s a modified version of ob1_pagination that outputs full URLs.

Hope that helps those of you stuck with this plugin and the MLP Pack.

Steve

#1144 2009-01-07 23:18:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

net-carver wrote:

it’s an issue that’s going to arise with any plugin that outputs relative URLs I’m afraid.

Ah, that might well explain why the pagination in smd_gallery fails then. I’ll see if I can mod it to output full URLs instead; the way you’ve done with ob1_pagination. Thanks for the pointer.

EDIT: Nope, it’s not that. Must be my subdir install, or the fact I’m adding the pg variable to $pretext['request_uri'] which has no knowledge of the lang code. Thus the URL ends up being the 404 site.com/fr/subdir/section/article?pg=2 instead of site.com/subdir/fr/section/article?pg=2.

I’ll have to see if I can find somewhere on my host where I can make a test installation on a root domain and see if it behaves there. Think I’m fresh out of domain space though :-(

EDIT2: … but not out of subdomain space (thanks for the reminder, Els). I can confirm the pagination in smd_gallery works with MLP (yay!) so the subdir was the issue. Now if I could just get the image alt/caption language fields back…

Last edited by Bloke (2009-01-08 01:20:44)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#1145 2009-01-09 10:13:56

ultramega

Any good ideas to this my question earlier:

2) When adding new languages to a live site having users browsing all the time, what things should be thought about? Any pitfalls to avoid…

Obviously to hide new langs from language-switcher, but something else? I have rvm_maintenance installed on the site. Could the site be in maintenance mode while adding new languages with mlp. And then later in live mode I could add snippets in background, when the switcher is disabled for showing those new langs?

Last edited by ultramega (2009-01-09 10:16:13)

#1146 2009-01-09 11:56:29

els

Yes, you could have the site in maintenance mode while adding a new language, but I think it can be done without that. If you use the hide_langs attribute in <txp:l10n_lang_list /> there will be no links to the new language pages. You can use that until everything (articles and snippets) in the new language is finished. Of course visitors that have the new language as their browser language would land on the new language page. You could probably set up a http redirect to a special page with <txp:l10n_if_lang>. Though this wouldn’t prevent visitors from manually inserting the language marker in the URL and thus still being able to view the pages you are working on. I think it’s possible to use .htaccess to redirect everything, except your own IP, from /xx/ to a (static) page.

#1147 2009-01-12 12:40:11

beztak
Website

It is possible to add to special snippets tab site_name ? Because on MLP sites I have to have special conditions for creating appropriate TITLE and H1. In special snippets is only site_slogan but it is not used for creating TITLE in txp:page_title, so I need to hack taghandlers.php or use my conditions…

I think it would be nice to add site_name to special snippets. What do you think?

#1148 2009-01-12 14:45:30

ultramega

Els: Thanks for help.

beztak: I’m not sure if I understood you and your needs right, but did you know you can add your own snippets like: ##translatable_text## and you’ll see that “translatable_text” waiting for translations in snippets.

maniqui wrote earlier

My proposal: “What if a rendition for an article could access fields (custom fields, article_image, etc) from another rendition of the same article?”

I’m not sure if this is answered already, but I’d like that idea too: I have several translation languages. I use one custom field for outputting list of images, to feed smd-gallery and slimbox. When I add gallery images to old original articles, I have to manually fix all renditions to keep them up to date. If translations could look at original text’s named custom field, they all could be refreshed just when updating the original post.

Last edited by ultramega (2009-01-12 14:46:25)

#1149 2009-01-12 14:54:22

beztak
Website

ultramega wrote:

beztak: I’m not sure if I understood you and your needs right, but did you know you can add your own snippets like: ##translatable_text## and you’ll see that “translatable_text” waiting for translations in snippets.

I know, but <txp:sitename /> is used in tag <txp:page_title /> which can generate unique TITLE, but sitename cannot be translated via MLP, but site_slogan can. Much more valuable is sitename than site_slogan, at least I think.

#1150 2009-01-13 09:30:52

ultramega

Content of title-tag for one my sites: shows translated: sitename / section name / title of the current article.

##translatable_site_name## / ##name_of_the_section## / <txp:title />

Did you mean use like this?

#1151 2009-01-13 10:51:43

beztak
Website

ultramega wrote:

Content of title-tag for one my sites: shows translated: sitename / section name / title of the current article. ##translatable_site_name## / ##name_of_the_section## / <txp:title /> Did you mean use like this?

Yes something like this. But why so complicated? You know, if we would add sitename in special snippets, than we can use <txp:page_title />. Simplification, this is what I’m talking about. And also I would propose to hack taghandlers.php anyway because structure of TITLE is not pretty good. This is little bit stupid:

sitename | title
sitename | section
sitename | category

It should be:

title | sitename
section | sitename
category | sitename

Only pagination I left as it was:

sitename | page X

And why? Because if your article title and sitename are too long, search engines will read only about first 70 characters of TITLE… And article title is more important than sitename, I think.
But this is not the right thread for discussion of this topic.

#1152 2009-01-17 16:29:36

curiouz

I’ve just transferred a MLP powered website from one host to the other and I’m getting the following error:

Notice: Undefined index: l10n_request_uri in /usr/local/WWW/A/.5c1/g/grondys/htdocs/beta/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(574) : eval()’d code on line 432

The link to the site is: http://www.eightydays.nl/beta

Last edited by curiouz (2009-01-17 16:30:58)

Board footer