Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-01-10 01:37:32

eggnog
Website

Client sites and Textpattern

I’m relatively new to Textpattern and am now looking at deploying it for client sites. I was wondering how you longtime TXP’ers go about the build process when working on client projects.

My primary concern is with maintaining control over the site until final payment is received. It seems to me the most logical approach is to build the site in a sub directory on my own server (that way the client can check in periodically on the process), then migrate it to the clients server once all payment has been received. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? How do others do it?

Also, being a noob when it comes to mySQL, will I encounter any problems running multiple databases for two, maybe three Textpattern installs on my own server?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Geoff

#2 2009-01-10 08:20:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Client sites and Textpattern

eggnog wrote:

It seems to me the most logical approach is to build the site in a sub directory on my own server (that way the client can check in periodically on the process), then migrate it to the clients server once all payment has been received. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? How do others do it?

Reasonable. Upon successful migration, you’d just have to adjust a few preferences (site URL, location of images, file upload and temp directory) as long as you do not embed absolute URIs in navigation menus, articles, forms or pages but use core tags as much as possible for site internal linking (<txp:section name="foo" link="1" /> and the like).

will I encounter any problems running multiple databases for two, maybe three Textpattern installs on my own server?

Not at all, though you might consider your backup/restore strategy just in case.

#3 2009-01-12 01:39:22

eggnog
Website

Thanks for the input Wet. I’m glad at least you took the time to reply.

Tangent: I’m surprised at how many views topics get in relation to the extremely low response number. 93 views and 1 response. There are some threads in Let’s see yours that have hundreds of views and less than 5 responses. What up with that?

#4 2009-01-12 02:15:39

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

eggnog wrote:

Tangent: I’m surprised at how many views topics get in relation to the extremely low response number. 93 views and 1 response. There are some threads in Let’s see yours that have hundreds of views and less than 5 responses. What up with that?

I’m happy with the amount of comments topics get. Glad that this is a mature Textpattern community, where we share info. No one gets anything from “No wrong, fuck you!” or other immature mass comments that other communities’ members share :)

Therefor I’m happy the way things are: amount isn’t quality, and mature ppl don’t comment, if they don’t have an answer or anything polite and informative to say. That is why topics get views, but because ppl don’t have an answer or the time to write a good complete answer, they don’t reply.

Plus ‘view count’ counts everything:

• Bots, newbies and random viewers that obviosly won’t or can’t reply.
  • All reloads including posts edit and loads that end up on the topic tree.

For example I have done now about ten views for this topic when counting together my replay reads, reloads, edits, post and so on :) So actually topics get really low unique viewer numbers. Possibly just only ten ppl have read this topic althogether.

Last edited by Gocom (2009-01-12 02:41:38)

#5 2009-01-12 06:26:31

eggnog
Website

Well that explains a lot. Just to be clear, I wasn’t slagging the forums, I just found it curious that view numbers are often through the roof but actual contributions to threads are rare. Thanks for the insight.

#6 2009-01-12 16:41:06

kevinpotts

eggnog wrote:

My primary concern is with maintaining control over the site until final payment is received. It seems to me the most logical approach is to build the site in a sub directory on my own server (that way the client can check in periodically on the process), then migrate it to the clients server once all payment has been received. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? How do others do it?

This is precisely what I do, although I go one step further. I build everything on subdomains of kevinpottsdesign.com (using Dreamhost), and every install has its own database to keep things nice and clean. Clients can not only view work as it’s coming along, but I provide them with their own username and password so they can login, enter content, and start getting a feel for the system. This way the transition to their server is seamless.

I have done this for about 20 client projects, and it works very well. Clients have a sense of building something together, and they aren’t thrown an entirely foreign system when it goes live.

Also, being a noob when it comes to mySQL, will I encounter any problems running multiple databases for two, maybe three Textpattern installs on my own server?

Just give every TXP install its own DB to avoid issues.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#7 2009-01-13 17:26:30

eggnog
Website

Good advice Kevin. I can see a gradual introduction to TXP working well for some clients.

I very much enjoyed your book BTW. It wasn’t until I got Textpattern Solutions did things really “click.”

Geoff

Board footer