Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-12-20 09:55:35

gavnosis
Website

[request] Request for an updated rss_admin_db_manager

Rob Sable’s rather nifty plugin was patched together to work with 4.0.6 by Colak . However, I can’t seem to get it to work with 4.0.7 (But get a twitchy when driving PHPMyAdmin )

What gives?

#2 2008-12-20 10:05:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [request] Request for an updated rss_admin_db_manager

By “not work” do you mean it doesn’t work as expected, or you don’t see the tabs under Extensions? It’s working for me under 4.0.7 on both an ancient version of PHP and under 5.2.1.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2008-12-20 10:31:20

gavnosis
Website

Actually the Extensions tab is there and I’ve been happily clicking on the .sql Database backup, and had stashed a load of files from which I expected I’d be able to reinstate my handiwork. And then I actually tried it… and all the wheels fell off!

To give you a dark insight to how I work, I’ve previously developed sites on a server at Textdrive then moved them to a different uk-based host for my clients (1and1)

E.g using 4.0.6
http://slc.textdriven.com/ was moved in a couple of clicks to www.sharonleighton.co.uk Hurrah for Colak’s tweaked Rob-Sable plugin!

And then tried the same with 4.0.7 (exactly the same procedure, same hosts):
castlethorpe.textdriven.com/ to www.castlethorpevillage.org.uk and lots of nasty messages and the whole thing got screwed up, couldn’t reinstall or anything and had to venture into PHPMyAdmin to use drop in the end!

I guess the bit I’m not confident about is what Colak’s fix actually is, and whether I should expect this plugin work. But maybe it’s me…

So, I’ve moved my site across using PHPMyAdmin, but got (and still have!) a load of nasty messages in the pre-flight check, and was even locked out of my site for a bit (Which was less special)

#4 2008-12-20 10:38:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ah, I’ve not tried the ‘backup/restore’ bit recently. That may well fail because of the new columns in the tables, as I don’t know how Rob coded it. If I get a chance I’ll take a look at it, but it’s not a high priority for me right now (until I try it and it destroys my site of course!). Thanks for the heads-up about the potential problem; I’ll exercise caution.

For the record, the fix Colak posted just allows the plugin to show up under the Extensions tab. Nothing more.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2008-12-20 11:26:35

jstubbs
Website

Not sure why people use this plugin when phpMyAdmin is readily available…??

#6 2008-12-20 11:39:35

keith
Website

It’s just nice to have the functionality there at your fingertips, Jonathan – and it’s tiny compared to phpmyadmin, which might matter for some, I imagine.

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#7 2008-12-20 12:00:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

Not sure why people use this plugin when phpMyAdmin is readily available…??

It’s damn handy for developing. With one or two clicks you can see the contents of tables and can muck about with queries without having to go through the hassle of launching another tab, logging into your hoster, clicking phpMyAdmin, scrolling to the correct database, clicking the table you’re interested in and then clicking ‘browse’ or ‘structure’. Perfect for lazy-arses like me :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2008-12-20 12:01:10)

#8 2008-12-20 12:02:06

jstubbs
Website

Yep, I can understand. I never got past some error messages pre-Colak fix, and just used phpMyAdmin after that. I also never use plugins that have been abandoned, but that’s a personal preference. Unless someone took it over, I would not use it.

#9 2008-12-20 12:02:29

gavnosis
Website

And also less scary for non-experts. A question clients often ask is ‘How can I back up my site?’ after it’s built and I’ve devolved control

#10 2008-12-20 12:08:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gavnosis wrote:

And also less scary for non-experts. A question clients often ask is ‘How can I back up my site?’ after it’s built and I’ve devolved control

Yeah, actually, that’s not a bad idea if someone were to take this plugin forward. Being able to allow a ‘Manging Editor’ access to just the Backup/Restore tab might be worthwhile. You don’t really want clients going into the SQL tab… unless of course you like charging support for client-initiated catastrophes :-D

And, regarding the initial problem, I had a cursory look and can’t see anything obvious in the code why a backup/restore might fail. He just dumps the entire DB in/out, irrespective of column names and stuff, so changes to the underlying structure between TXP versions shouldn’t make a difference as long as a DB is dumped and restored from identical TXP versions. Totally weird you had problems with it, but maybe someone’ll look closer with a better trained eye than mine.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-12-20 12:52:17)

#11 2008-12-20 12:25:20

jstubbs
Website

gavnosis wrote:

Thinks that’s a very bad idea. If you have the option, its better to create a cron job that backs up the database every day. How you do that depends on your web host. In my experience its much more reliable importing a DB that was first exported via a cron job.

#12 2008-12-20 12:37:44

gavnosis
Website

OK Jonathan,

I’ll find out how to do this…

Thanks

Board footer