Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-12-15 21:51:12

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

Hosts for Web Apps

I’ve been building a web application on PHP/MySQL and am looking for advice on a host. On first release the demands will be met with simple shared hosting, but if it picks up I’ll need my servers and hosting to grow with it. Does anyone recommend a hosting company that can scale easily?

#2 2008-12-15 21:57:12

maniqui
Website

Re: Hosts for Web Apps

Slicehost?

I’ve an account there, but I must admit I’m not currently using it (just wasting my money… I signed up for it because I wanted to learn more server-side/sysadmin tricks, but haven’t had any time yet to play).
But I can say they seem to be pretty good… there is wonderful content on their site, and administrators are very active both in the forum and on the IRC channel.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2008-12-15 22:01:52

jstubbs
Website

I host on Joyent and they are pretty good for scaling applications.

#4 2008-12-16 02:29:29

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

webfaction. Nice people.

#5 2008-12-16 20:26:25

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

variaas wrote:

On first release the demands will be met with simple shared hosting, but if it picks up I’ll need my servers and hosting to grow with it.

For the last week, I’ve been moving my self-hosted sites up to a DreamHost unlimited plan, and I’ve been very impressed so far. I’m accustomed to having full control of my server, and with DreamHost, I feel like I can do just about anything. I didn’t care for their default Analog stats program, so I installed the latest AWStats with no problem, even compiled the GEO:IP plugin. Their control panel is nice, it has all the goodies I would normally need, and where I may need to do some custom stuff, I can SSH in with PuTTY.

The icing on the cake is their Private Servers option, it starts out at $15 a month, where you can turn your shared plan into a full blown VPS. The price is dependent on the memory option you pick and can be adjusted up or down at anytime. So if your websites start gathering steam, you’re a click away from a faster experience for your users.

I’ve had very few support questions, their Wiki guided me through most tasks. The couple of times I’ve emailed support, they’ve responded back within the hour with courteous and knowledgeable answers.

Mind you, I’ve been with them for 10 days, but so far it looks like I’ll have a very good year with them.

Edit: No affiliate links, please (wet).

Last edited by wet (2008-12-17 05:13:37)

#6 2008-12-16 20:34:57

joebaich
Website

wet wrote:

webfaction. Nice people.

They are nice people and their product seems pretty good too but I noted that they ‘don’t do’ PHP mail, only SMTP which ruled out them out as Textpattern hosts for me. Has something changed or did I miss something? If so, I would likely go back to them at the next opportunity.

Board footer