Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-12-12 01:44:16

Destry
Website

2008 Open Source CMS Market Share Survey

Water and Stone, a design firm in Indonesia, published this 50-page survey in July. There’s many CMS listed, (including MODx, SPIP and a couple I’ve never heard of before – Elgg and Pligg) but Txp is not in the running (neither is ExpressionEngine).

I haven’t read the whole report, but their methodology is somewhat detailed, even if you don’t agree with the results. The top market share winners are Drupal, Joomla and WordPress. No surprise there, really.

Not being mentioned in the survey may not be a bad thing. E.g., though MODx qualified for being mentioned, it’s pretty clearly shown on page 16 and 20 that its presence online has diminished substantially, “MODx drops from the 7th all the way down to the 17th position” (out of 19) on the Alexa rankings in July 2008 (page 20).

Suppose it’s worth mentioning that Water and Stone specialize in Drupal and Joomla sites for clients. :/

Ed. Oh…they did say “niche systems” were intentionally not included, but I doubt that’s a stretch to Txp unless they were alluding to systems used by designers (could explain EE’s absence too). Naaaah!

Last edited by Destry (2008-12-12 01:58:16)

#2 2008-12-12 09:44:58

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: 2008 Open Source CMS Market Share Survey

Hehe, Textpattern is quite small CMS, sir ;) We just happen to have dedicated and really solid golden user base that do almost everything for everyone with our beloved TXP.

#3 2008-12-12 18:07:50

kvnmcwebn
Website

Why did modx drop in the rank destry? did development peter out?

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#4 2008-12-12 18:42:51

els

Gocom wrote:

… dedicated and really solid golden user base that do almost everything for everyone …

Well said, Jukka! :)

#5 2008-12-12 21:32:52

Destry
Website

kvnmcwebn wrote:

Why did modx drop in the rank destry? did development peter out?

I’m sure if davidm were here he’d scream a definitive no, but I wouldn’t be able to say as I’ve not fiddled about over there in the MODx camp for a number of months now. At any rate, the survey was a “market share” survey and the analyses were largely based on presence and rankings from search results. So all you can deduce from that shift in position for MODx is that nobody talks about it as much as they used to.

Gocom wrote:

Hehe, Textpattern is quite small CMS, sir ;)

Yes, but so is MODx and it was in there. I’d say EE has a much larger aware factor in the world than MODx and it didn’t show either.

Anyway, I just thought the survey was interesting on many levels and shared it with ya’ll.

You sure we aren’t molten golden? :)

Board footer