Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-11-16 13:47:22

Destry
Website

[textile] Defintion lists

It occurred to me today, while needing to create a def list in an article I’m drafting, that MediaWiki does these super easy. Since the syntax is the same in MediaWiki for ordered and unordered lists as it is in Textile, I was wondering if it would be possible to added def lists to Textile too.

MediaWiki uses a semi-colon (;) to create the dt, and a colon (:) to create each following dd. Everything else is add just like ordered/unordered lists are.

Is this possible?

#2 2008-11-16 14:21:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [textile] Defintion lists

I’d love <dl>s to be part of Textile. Been asked a few times already and the official answer seems to kind of fizzle out by threads’ end.

I assumed Textile was GPL or compatible and, as such, could be maintained by someone else, but I’ve never really looked into whether Dean or Zem owns it and/or has the desire/motiviation to update it. Sure would be nice to have, even though the ; and : thing deviates from normal Textile Syntax. Does the MW syntax allow classes and IDs to be added?

Last edited by Bloke (2008-11-16 14:22:34)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2008-11-16 14:54:29

Destry
Website

I knew I didn’t look hard enough for previous threads. :/

MW does not allow selectors on it’s syntax, but I would imagine a Textile implementation might take this into account.

I didn’t realize there was a “normal” syntax to follow, I was just showing an example — a very easy to use example — that seems to work elsewhere and follows the same model for ordered and unordered lists; asterisks for ULs, octothorpes for OLs…and semicolons/colons for DL’s. :)

Last edited by Destry (2008-11-16 15:06:53)

#4 2008-11-16 15:21:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

I didn’t realize there was a “normal” syntax to follow

You’re right, there isn’t. I was being a pleb and thinking in terms of, like:

h1(someclass). My Heading

and had forgotten about the other * and # syntax for lists. Ignore me, it’s better that way :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2008-11-17 09:20:25

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

To add to the confusion (at least mine): We have a valid Textile syntax for adding class and id attributes to lists:

*(class#id)  foo
* bar

#(class#idtoo) foo
# bar

#6 2008-11-17 09:52:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

wet wrote:

We have a valid Textile syntax for adding class and id attributes to lists

Oh yeah, I’d almost forgotten. In that case:

;(class#id) foo
: bar1
: bar2
: bar3

makes perfect sense to me. Does the semicolon/colon thing impact any other Textile processing? If not, can something like that be added and, if so, what needs to be done to make it happen?

#7 2008-11-17 10:00:00

Destry
Website

@wet: Right!

@Bloke and the gang: That’s exactly what I was getting at. Wouldn’ that be nice, and simple?

Board footer